“Fabulous location, service and something a little different!”

Kimpton Topaz Hotel
Ranked #84 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Pittsburgh, PA
“Fabulous location, service and something a little different!”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Great service - I arrived about 10 pm, instantly a staff member was out to take my car and unload my bags. I was quickly checked into room 611, where champagne and a cheese tray was waiting for me with a very nice note welcoming me to the hotel. The room was very spacious, and amen for a separate vanity area with outlets! The room was clean and had a different style to it that was refreshing; had the right business amenities without being all business. I slept very soundly and didn't hear anything! The late check out I requested was no problem so that I could return after my meeting, do some work and then change for the drive home. Checkout was very prompt and my car was brought out quickly. All around definite recommendation and will return. Bonus I can bring my 5 lb dog without a staggering pet fee.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear brivb10,

Thank you for your outstanding review of your recent stay at the Topaz. I am really happy to hear how well your arrival experience went and how comfortable you found your room. I am also happy to hear that things went as smoothly upon checkout.

We hope that you will come see us again with your little pooch. We love having dogs with us!

Thanks again,
Ryan Cimei

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York, USA
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

The Topaz is conveniently located near DuPont Circle and also close to the cool restaurants and bars of 14th street.

The staff was extremely friendly and were great when I needed to extend my stay due to the snowstorm.

The beds are very comfortable and the rooms are quiet. I had a room on the top floor, which possibly added to the peace & quiet. The Internet was consistently strong and reliable.

There are many good dining options within a few minute walk of the hotel as well, which make it all the more attractive a place to stay. A really cool place just across the street is the Iron Gate, which has just reopened with a southern Mediterranean menu and wine list.

If you need a place to stay in DC and want to be near a lot of action but not on top of it, the Topaz is a good place to stay.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Andrea E
Dear Andrea E,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your stay at the Topaz. I am so glad that the location worked our so well for you and happy to see how much you enjoyed your guest room and the service.

We hope you will come see us again the next time you are in Washington.

Oakland, California
Reviewed 10 February 2014

My husband and I just spent three nights at the Topaz. It was a lovely, small hotel. The rooms were nice and clean. But what made it a great stay was the staff. They were extremely helpful and warm (they even gave us a bowl of chocolates!). We also loved the hotels bikes. We rode them all over the city. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear HCJML,

Thank you for your amazing review of your stay at the Topaz. I am so happy that you enjoyed the team so much and they took such good care of you and I am happy you took advantage of our bike program.

We hope to have you back with us for another round of fun very soon.

NY, NY
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I had never heard of the Kimpton brand let alone stay at one before; it will be my go to when traveling in the US from now on! Such service, sincere friendly helpful service. The daily managers wine hour is a very nice touch. I was in town for business and really felt like I was staying at second home. The location was perfect for my needs. DuPont Circle is about 7 minutes walking & it was only 10 minutes by taxi to the train station. As for the room, one of the nicest I've ever stayed in, see pictures! Their list of "If you forgot, let us know" had about 20 items on it. The layout of the room was great for work & relaxing, loved the little "alcove" where the desk was located. The view was nice & even on the rainy day of my arrival the room was bright, but easily blacked out with the drapes for sleeping. Almost wish I had more domestic travel this year as the Kimpton has not crossed the ocean to Europe yet. Hope to have business in DC soon so I can return and stay with all my new friends at The Topaz.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear NYPatsy,

Thank you for your amazing review of your stay at the Topaz. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your first Kimpton experience so much. I am also thrilled that you enjoyed all that the property has to offer and found your guest room so comfortable.

We hope to have a future Kimpton regular on our hands. Please come see us again soon!

Reviewed 31 January 2014

Cute, well outfitted hotel. Small area around bed, difficult to open refrigerator. However, had desk, couch and dressing room. Well treated by friendly bartender upon arrival. Loyalty members received a $10 discount from bill for bar service.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear Lakelady98437,

Thank you for your great review of your stay at the Topaz. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and took advantage of your Raid the Mini Bar perk of your Kimpton In Touch membership. I do apologize for the shortcomings in the room layout.

We hope you come and see us again soon.

Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel when looking for a cheap but comfortable hotel in a fun area of dc for a weekend away. The room was very nice, location was great, and service was top-notch. I could see this hotel being great for business or pleasure. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Marcus F,

Thank you for your outstanding review of your stay at the Topaz. I am so happy to hear that you really enjoyed your experience all around and thank you for choosing us.

We really hope you will come see us again.

Pittsburgh
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Topaz, and there is really nothing that I would complain about! The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, from the moment we arrived until our departure. Our room was clean and spacious. The location is great, because you can walk to the attractions of DC with no problem. We will definitely return!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear stevensteph,

Thank you for your outstanding review of your stay at the Topaz. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed everything so much and the staff and rooms were to your liking.

We hope you will come and see us again very soon!