“Enjoyable stay in a boutique style hotel”

Kimpton Topaz Hotel
Ranked #82 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Just did 4 nights in the Topaz Washington, loved the décor an the size of our room (311); great bed, great heating, great space, bathroom small but functional - water pressure a bit low (no biggie though) - great overall room! Bar and restaurant worked, a bit breezy in the snow storm - just one of those things - food was tasty and just right for informal dining, staff are friendly and chatty, continental breakfast is good and the staff are pretty busy keeping up with demand. We had an enjoyable time at this accommodation and it is great to get away from the "big chain" style hotels and enjoy more stylized accommodations.

Room Tip: On the street is fine - not too much road noise
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Dear rsl31,

Thank you for your great review of your stay at the Topaz. I am really happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us and how much you enjoyed your experience on property, including your dining experiences.

I am glad that you had such a nice time with us, even during inclimate weather. We hope to see you again when it is nicer out so you can go out and enjoy all that DC has to offer.

Ryan Cimei

Write a ReviewReviews (1,328)

Reviewed 5 March 2014

We stayed at the Topaz last week for two nights and used a Travel Zoo discount voucher.

Pros:The staff was wonderful and accommodating, giving us excellent suggestions for dinner within walking distance. As this hotel is right off of Dupont Circle, the restaurant selections were many and varied. The room was large and was decorated very well, with cool and funky modern touches. We had a two queen room and the beds were comfortable. Our room also featured a sleeping alcove, which could have slept another person or two children. The room had a mini-fridge that we used to hold a small amount of leftovers. We only used the room to sleep at night as we were out visiting family and friends during the day. It was comfortable.

Cons: We used the hotel valet service for two days which ended up costing almost what we paid for one night's accommodation with the voucher. We weren't surprised as we knew what a premium parking is in the city center. We were prepared, but others may not be. My only other complaint is that the breakfast buffet did not offer any hot items that I could see. It looked like a normal free continental breakfast buffet from any inexpensive chain hotel. There were bagels, pastries, yogurt, fruit and juice. The price was crazy high, though, so we never partook. I know food is much more expensive in DC, but I think for the price, there could have been a better offering that might have enticed me to stay for breakfast instead of going elsewhere.

I have a thing about breakfast, you see...

Overall, our stay was pleasant and we did get a good price on the room. I would definitely recommend this funky little hotel.

Room Tip: If you have children that hate to sleep with each other (like mine) or more than two kids, ask for t...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear justimagineinc,

Thank you for your great review of your stay at the Topaz. I am really happy to hear how much you enjoyed everything. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay so much and the room was so comfortable for you.

Thank you also for your feedback on our breakfast offerings. We have recently added a waffle station and some other additional items to what we offer on our continental buffet. We hope next time you will come and enjoy with us.

We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 3 March 2014

1. Have a valet out front. We pulled up at 4pm, prime check-in time, and no one was there to park the car or help with bags. For the level of service they claim and the cost, this should not happen. The hotel next door has one. Why can't Topaz?
2. Have the water temperature in the shower be able to go past acceptably warm and have tissues that don't scratch like sandpaper.
3. Read the guest requests when they check in. I asked for a room away from the elevators. They assigned me one so close to the elevator you could practically step into the room right from the elevator. Back we had to go to the front desk and get a different room.
4. Make sure bathroom doors actually fit the frames and close properly.
5. Improve service. They take the lobby coffee away at 10:30 am and there is no coffee maker in the rooms. So when I asked how to get coffee in the afternoon, they said they would send up a coffee maker right away. And I waited and waited. Finally had to call the front desk a second time.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear 4ontheroadMD,

Thank you so much for your feedback and the points you made on how we can improve. I really appreciate you taking the time. I will certainly discuss with my managers on how we can improve these areas.

I appreciate your input, thank you again for providing it to us. We hope that you will come and see us again in the future!

Reviewed 3 March 2014

We had a 2 night stay at the Topaz hotel to visit family. We were traveling with a dog, and for that reason alone, it was a great place to stay. However, when we checked in, the water in our bathroom (and every room ending in -10 and -11 on each floor) wasn't working. After going downstairs to speak with them (because the phone in my room wasn't working), we were told it would be back in 1 hour. This does not cut it. We insisted on switching rooms and they did oblige. Overall, the rooms are clean, pretty large and up to date. The hallways are a little dated and could use updating. Also, $43/night for valet parking is excessive in my opinion (and I am from Manhattan). Room service for breakfast was very good and the hotel is in a great location. Excluding the issues above, I would still recommend the hotel, especially for anyone traveling with a dog.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear thomasby,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. I do apologize for the issue with the water, we had a leak in a pipe and had to shut down the water in that area of the building to repair it. We did everything in our power to have it back on as quickly as possible.

I am happy to hear that the staff reacted quickly and moved you to a new room. I am also happy to hear that overall you enjoyed your time with us. Regarding the parking price, we only have a limited amount of space on site and we keep our pricing competitive with the other hotels in the area.

We hope that you will come see us again!

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Had a brief stay in this hotel while on business in DC. Much of the trip was spent working in the hotel room, which was enormous and very comfortable.

This is a very quiet hotel in a good location near Dupont Circle. Staff is friendly and efficient. This is a great place to stay if you're looking for a place to stay just outside the hustle and bustle of downtown DC.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Ben M,

Thank you for your great review of your brief stay with us. I am happy to hear how much you enjoyed the location and your stay. We hope you will come and see us again on your next trip to Washington.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

I love staying at Kimpton Hotels! They are always clean, modern and exquisitely decorated with unique and interesting furniture. The beds are always extremely comfortable and have always gotten a great night's sleep at any of their locations I've been to.

This DC location is no different. Rooms were comfortable and staff was helpful. It is a bit of a walk to restaurants/sights but I did not mind it. Lobby is very tight and small so it can get crowded. Otherwise, great stay!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Dear crwnjlz,

Thank you for your great review of your stay at the Topaz and also for your loyalty to Kimpton hotels. I am so happy to hear how much you enjoy our Kimpton beds and how much you enjoyed your time with us here.

We look forward to having you back with us and at the other 60 locations around the country!

Thanks so much,

Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Absolutely loved this place the pictures online did not do the beautifully decorated rooms justice. The room had a bedroom area that was separated by these really nice French doors that led out into a good sized living area. I had room service twice at this hotel and I recommend their Fried Calamari! The fruit for my breakfast was really fresh. The service at the hotel was outstanding! The valet always brought cars out pretty quickly and any questions that I had the front desk was always able to answer them. The hotel was in a great location there was a lot of restaurants and things to do near by. There was a YMCA gym literally around the corner and I was able to get a free pass to go there through the hotel. I will definitely be revisiting this hotel when I come back to D.C.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Kayla M

Dear Kayla M,

Thank you so much for your amazing review of your stay at the Topaz. I am so glad to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. I am excited that you experienced our menu and enjoyed the food so much as well as the staff and service.

I am happy to hear also that the location worked out so well for you also. We are really are lucky to be here in the middle of so much stuff going on yet on such a nice quiet street.

We hope you will come see us again soon!