“Excellent DC Boutique Hotel”

Kimpton Topaz Hotel
Ranked #83 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Illinois
“Excellent DC Boutique Hotel”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

This is a boutique style hotel located within a block of DuPont Circle...great location on a quiet shaded street near restaurants, pubs and a 20 minute fast paced walk to the White House/Mall area...the front desk staff was friendly and very welcoming, the room was spacious and clean...large bathroom with plenty of lavatory space to place your personal hygiene items...we needed a roll-a-way for our adult son and it was comfortable and sizeable...we did not eat in the attached restaurant but the morning continental breakfast looked yummy although not inexpensive...the 5 pm 'Wine Hour' is a nice complimentary touch and the bartender, Rick, is an engaging personable gentleman who made us feel right at home...and the hotel is generous with the wine 'pour' during the complimentary hour it's available...this is a pet friendly hotel which is fine however the pets are allowed in the lounge which is the location for the breakfast...I don't think that's a good idea...one woman had her dog on a short leash and it was allowed to roam for a few feet away from her table...I'm not 'snooty' but I like the ambience in the lounge rather than having a dog sniffing around...but other than that 'constructive' criticism I would give this hotel an 'A' grade, and look forward to returning again in the near future!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Davidfromllinois
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Davidfromllinois,

I can't thank you enough for such an outstanding review of your recent stay at the Topaz. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to participate in our wine hour. Thank you also for your feedback on the pets in the lounge area. I agree with you, it would take away from the experience to have a pet in this area and thank you for letting me know.

Again, I very much appreciate your review and your "A" grade. We hope you will come see us again!

Ryan Cimei

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We recently stayed at the Topaz for 3 nights. What a sweet little find this property was! First, it's in a great location, just 2 blocks from Dupont Circle. Yet the street it's on is remarkably quiet at night. The room we had was large and well appointed. Their InTouch program (highly recommended) gave us free wifi and a $10 coupon to use during our stay. The complimentary extras included morning coffee and an evening wine hour. My husband doesn't drink alcohol and when we stopped down they comped him with a non-alcoholic alternative. How nice was that? Their bar/restaurant offers a small menu. On our final night we decided to try it and our food was excellent. All around this property is a class act. We will definitely stay here again the next time we visit DC.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear us_travel_addict,

Thank you for such an amazing review of your recent stay at the Topaz. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay so much and were able to enjoy the Topaz bar as well. I am really happy that you had such a nice time.

We hope that we will see you again soon!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 16 April 2014

The hotel is situated in a quiet street.

Check in was quick. Since we arrived late after the wine and cheese session finished, we were given two drink vouchers.

We loved our room, very spacious with big bed, the view was the street. Staffs were really friendly. Breakfast was good too.

Since we are kimpton in touch member, we received free wifi and $10 minibar credit.

We would love to go back. Washington DC is a great place to visit, love the food trucks on the square.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MiaMew
Dear MiaMew,

Thank you for your great review of your stay at the Topaz. I am really happy that you enjoyed your experience so much, including the Topaz Bar offerings and the perks of being a Kimpton in Touch member.

We hope that you will come and see us again!

Nitro, West Virginia
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I absolutely adored our stay at the Topaz! We were warmly greeted by the front desk clerk and made to feel like we were home. We had an issue with the key cards working, but a quick trip back down to the desk fixed that. The gentleman at the front desk apologized profusely and quickly reprogrammed the keys. Our room was beautiful, and was much larger than what I expected. I know that staying right in the center of town would be expensive, but the room greatly exceeded my expectations compared to the price. We had a King Deluxe room. We were greeted with a plate of sweets and some sparkling wine. I highly recommend this room for anyone who needs a lot of space or who is staying for an extended stay. All of the amenities were wonderful, and we (me and my now wife) fell completely in love with the bed. After a long day of walking around the city, we would come back to our room and just fall on the bed and sink down into wonderfulness.
The hotel is located very near to Dupont Circle. The Metro station is literally 1-2 blocks away. A Starbucks sits at the end of the street near the hotel, and there are many great restaurants and even a CVS within minutes of walking distance. It is in a perfect location to go anywhere you need.
We stayed a total of 3 nights. The desk clerk during the weekend mornings was so great (I think her name was Jessica or Jennifer.. I'm horrible with names.) She was very helpful with teaching us how to use the Metro and also calling us a cab and taking our picture on our wedding morning. i really can't think of anything bad to say about anyone or anything at this hotel. We are planning a whole family trip next spring/summer, and I guarantee that, if we stay in the city, we will be staying here again!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tarayn S
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Tarayn S,

Wow! Thank you so much for such an amazing review of your stay at the Topaz. I am so happy to read how much you enjoyed everything and how the staff went the extra mile to make sure you had a special stay with us.

I am also really happy to see how much you enjoyed your guest room and how well the location worked out for you. I will certainly thank Paula (a.k.a Jennifer/Jessica) for being so courteous and helpful for you. I am sure she will not even think twice about the name mixup, she's entirely too sweet to be bothered by something like that.

We certainly hope you come back and see us again! Thank you again for your wonderful review.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I had stayed at a Kimpton in Seattle several years ago and so when I was looking for a DC hotel for a last minute business trip the Topaz caught my eye. Be sure and register for their “InTouch” program – you receive free WiFi (I hate to pay for Wifi!!) and a $10 minibar/bar credit. The location was good for my office but also nice for sightseeing as you are just a few blocks from a Metro stop, a 15 minute walk to the White House and close to DuPont Circle. The hotel is on N street between 17th & 18th and has mostly brownstones as neighbors and offers guests a pass to the large YMCA down the street in place of an on-site gym. The lobby is small but nice and the halls narrow. The room was really big! There was a cute alcove for the desk/work space. The bathroom was small, but had a dressing table/area just outside to compensate. Plenty of hot water, but just adequate water pressure in my room. There was a quiet “white noise” from the heater that didn’t bother me, but if you require silence it might bother you. The thermostat was a working one and adjusted the temperature quickly as I prefer a cooler room for sleeping. My room faced N Street and there wasn’t a noise problem from the 8th floor. Free robes and umbrellas for use during your stay are also available for purchase. The free wine happy hour is a nice benefit. Chat with your fellow guests in the lobby or grab one to bring to your room to unwind! The staff are all delightful, friendly and eager to please. I would go back for my next trip to DC.

Room Tip: I had an end room on the 8th floor and didn't hear street noise, but it is a quiet street.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear Lisa R,

Thank you for your amazing review of your stay at the Topaz. I am so happy to read how well the location worked for you and how much you enjoyed your guest room. I am also really happy to hear that you enjoyed the perks of your Kimpton in Touch membership and took part in our wine hour as well.

We hope you will come see us again!

State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We stayed here once before and I would definitely stay again. The hotel is so helpful and friendly and green! We were comp'd the $40/day parking because we had a hybrid. I LOVE this policy! The wine hour is a wonderful touch, and we even came late the one day and they still served us--so nice. My husband and I were visiting with my mother-in-law and we wanted her to feel special. The staff at Topaz didn't know this, but they did magnificent! The location is excellent as you are within a block of Dupont Circle happenings and within just a few blocks of the Metro. It also has a very nice neighborhood feel as opposed to some of the monstrosity cookie-cutter hotels. We did not do the morning breakfast as we wanted to venture out, but it looked fresh and tasty. The bar had a cool vibe and you could hang out there in your business attire or your casual day of sight-seeing digs. We would definitely stay again!

Green Features: Shampoos are in family size containers to cut down on waste (and pilfering!) which makes so much more sense. The best thing--we didn't have to pay for parking because we had a hybrid vehicle! Awesome!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank schussles
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear schussles,

Thank you for your outstanding review of your recent stay at the Topaz! I am so happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and how courteous the staff was to you. I am also happy that you were able to enjoy the Topaz Bar and that the location worked out so well for you.

We hope you will come see us a third time! Thanks again for taking the time to share how well your stay went.

Danville, Virginia
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I chose to stay at The Topaz because of vouchers that I had purchased from TravelZoo. The staff was super nice, the lobby decor is pretty cool and it's in a really great location. The room decor is nice, but I think use of space could've been better executed, especially with the dressing room being so big and the bathroom being so small. Also, the ex-closet turned chaise seating area should have remained as a closet. I thought it was cool that there was still a door that could connect rooms (I assume)...you don't see that much anymore.

I wish we had had a higher room (we were on the 2nd floor) for a better view. I didn't complain about it, but the air conditioning unit was insufficient. I burned up every night, but after walking all day I couldn't be bothered to request service. It blew cold air, but never cooled down the room. We ended up opening the windows, which I love to do anyway (glad it was an option).

My advice would be to research parking options before going. Parking there is convenient and valet, but you pay for it (over $40/night)! I'm not sure I would stay here again if I had to pay regular price, which is at least $250/night and over.

This hotel is also pet friendly with no additional fees.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jennifera64
Dear Jennifer A,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Topaz. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay overall. I am glad that you were able to take advantage of the sale that we were offering through Travelzoo.

I do apologize for the issue with the air conditioning in your guest room. I will certainly have that looked at ASAP. Thank you also for your comments regarding the guest room layout. I tend to agree with you that the space could have possibly been used better or differently.

We hope that you will come see us again. Please check out website as we offer discounts and promotions from time to time on there.