“comfortable stay in D.C.”

Kimpton Topaz Hotel
Ranked #86 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 April 2014

The Topaz is quirky and not for everyone. We ( my husband & I) love it. This was our fourth stay. The beds and linens are conducive to a good night's rest. The rooms are sizable and clean. Small issues are attended to promptly and the breakfasts are reasonable considering the constraints from a small dining area. We have found the staff to be unusually helpful and attentive. The hotel is quiet as is the neighborhood. Public transportation is nearby ( hooray!) and of course taxis abound. All in all the Topaz is a little gem ( just a bit frade @ the edges). Something out of the ordinary is fun!

Room Tip: higher floors get more light,
1  Thank waterboi
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear waterboi,

Thank you so much for your amazing review of your stay at the Topaz! I am so happy that you enjoy your time here so much and keep coming back to see us. I am really glad that the team was so helpful and you find the location and guest rooms so accommodating.

We look forward to having you back with us for your 5th stay!

Ryan Cimei

Write a ReviewReviews (1,329)

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Topaz is a dump and a scam! My husband and I stayed there last Saturday night, because we had to make a last minute trip to D.C. to visit a 95 year old relative, who needed our assistance. The cost of the room, which was decorated with the cheapest of everything including a tiny bathroom, was over $500 with taxes.The Kimpton Hotel group of which Topaz is part, sent me an e-mail shortly after booking with an offer of an upgrade at a low cost, which of course wasn't available, when we checked into the hotel. They also offer you free coffee in the lobby, but when I had one bagel, which I had to toast myself (self-service breakfast in a "restaurant" which is a few tables next to a bar in the lobby), the cost for it was $15! They also offer a free wine hour every evening, but it's probably the cheapest quality, and a cracker accompanying it would cost $15. The staff at the small crowded hotel entry desk speak to the guests as though they are all 10 years old. The room rate should be no more than $125 a night for this very messy, cheaply appointed, no service hotel with really no restaurant; nothing I saw would recommend staying there! Jane T.

Room Tip: Nothing to recommend; ugly and poorly decorated room with lots of AC unit noise.
1  Thank Jane T
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear Jane T,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay. I am really sorry that you did not find the hotel to be to your liking. Per our email conversation, we in no way attempt to scam any of our guests. The upgrade email is sent out close to the arrival date and these room types are based on availability. Also, to clarify, your room rate was not over $500 after taxes and also your breakfast charges only added up to $5.40.

The wine hour wines that we serve are chosen monthly and we pride ourselves on pouring a nice wine that is environmentally and socially conscious. We hope that on your next stay at a Kimpton hotel that you will give it a try.

I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your visit. We strive to please all of our guests who stay with us and I am really sorry that we did not hit the mark with you. You have my information so if there is anything I can do for you going forward, I would be more than happy to assist.

We hope that you will give our brand another chance and I hope that when you do that you enjoy your time with us.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

We enjoy Kimpton properties and chose the Topaz for its proximity to DuPont Circle and subway. Our room was exactly as anticipated, roomy, comfortable king bed and quite. Although we had housekeeping hiccup our first evening, they immediately corrected the situation. Hotel staff are very accommodating.

Dear Michael K,

Thank you for your great review of your stay at the Topaz. I am so happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and found the staff to be so accommodating.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Our family recently stayed at The Topaz while moving our son into the area. I chose the hotel on the basis of price, location, and good reviews. It was much cheaper than the other nearby possibilities.
We felt the hotel was not only well worth the price, but it exceeded our expectations in terms of sleep quality, friendliness of staff, and comfort of the surroundings. The bed linens and pillow were high quality and the mattress comfortable. Bathroom was extremely clean. The staff were friendly, attentive and efficient. Small problems were quickly fixed-room key not working, minibar key broke. Every staff member was friendly and polite.
The small downsides were that the breakfast area is small and better for cocktails than eating breakfast, as the tables are small. The carpet in the common areas is old and the elevator slow. We parked on street rather than pay the $40, as we were there on a weekend and there was easy parking. I have to say, I worried our windows would be broken but nothing was disturbed.
The area is an easy and safe-feeling walk from the White House. There are many restaurants and lots of foot traffic nearby. We will absolutely be staying there again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back are very quiet
1  Thank SnowyandSniggles

Dear SnowyandSniggles,

Thank you so much for your amazing review of your stay at the Topaz. I am really happy to see how much you enjoyed the staff and how comfortable you found your guest room.

We hope you will come and stay with us when you come and visit your son, now that it looks like he is living in the area.

Thanks again,

Reviewed 21 April 2014

The location is terrific in Dupont Circle neighborhood which is just outside of downtown but still close enough to walk almost anywhere. Good choices for eating in area. The staff is very helpful,pleasant and professional. The lobby is quite small with a small bar/service area where there is a free wine happy hour. The rooms are very clean, a nice size with a decent decor but nothing fancy. The value is good for Wash D.C. and the surrounding area. Remember this is a pet friendly hotel.

Dear plcape,

Thank you for your great review of your stay at the Topaz. I am really happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the location to be so convenient.

We hope you will come see us again on your next trip to Washington, DC.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

This is a boutique style hotel located within a block of DuPont Circle...great location on a quiet shaded street near restaurants, pubs and a 20 minute fast paced walk to the White House/Mall area...the front desk staff was friendly and very welcoming, the room was spacious and clean...large bathroom with plenty of lavatory space to place your personal hygiene items...we needed a roll-a-way for our adult son and it was comfortable and sizeable...we did not eat in the attached restaurant but the morning continental breakfast looked yummy although not inexpensive...the 5 pm 'Wine Hour' is a nice complimentary touch and the bartender, Rick, is an engaging personable gentleman who made us feel right at home...and the hotel is generous with the wine 'pour' during the complimentary hour it's available...this is a pet friendly hotel which is fine however the pets are allowed in the lounge which is the location for the breakfast...I don't think that's a good idea...one woman had her dog on a short leash and it was allowed to roam for a few feet away from her table...I'm not 'snooty' but I like the ambience in the lounge rather than having a dog sniffing around...but other than that 'constructive' criticism I would give this hotel an 'A' grade, and look forward to returning again in the near future!

2  Thank Davidfromllinois

Dear Davidfromllinois,

I can't thank you enough for such an outstanding review of your recent stay at the Topaz. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to participate in our wine hour. Thank you also for your feedback on the pets in the lounge area. I agree with you, it would take away from the experience to have a pet in this area and thank you for letting me know.

Again, I very much appreciate your review and your "A" grade. We hope you will come see us again!

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We recently stayed at the Topaz for 3 nights. What a sweet little find this property was! First, it's in a great location, just 2 blocks from Dupont Circle. Yet the street it's on is remarkably quiet at night. The room we had was large and well appointed. Their InTouch program (highly recommended) gave us free wifi and a $10 coupon to use during our stay. The complimentary extras included morning coffee and an evening wine hour. My husband doesn't drink alcohol and when we stopped down they comped him with a non-alcoholic alternative. How nice was that? Their bar/restaurant offers a small menu. On our final night we decided to try it and our food was excellent. All around this property is a class act. We will definitely stay here again the next time we visit DC.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear us_travel_addict,

Thank you for such an amazing review of your recent stay at the Topaz. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay so much and were able to enjoy the Topaz bar as well. I am really happy that you had such a nice time.

We hope that we will see you again soon!