“Comfortable, friendly rooms in DuPont Circle”

Kimpton Topaz Hotel
Ranked #80 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed here for a wedding back in April. The rooms were very nice, clean, and the beds are super comfy! Our lock on the mini bar was broken, but a quick call to the front desk and all was ok! Didn't need it fixed, was just happy they were so willing to accommodate fixing it, and not blaming us for the break.
Out of the Kimpton hotels I've stayed in, this is one of the nicest. A block from so many wonderful bars and restaurants.
An added note, I realized days after we left the hotel that I accidentally left my phone charger in the room. Once I called and confirmed it was there, I received it the next day. Will absolutely stay there again in the future and recommend it to anyone I know who stays in DC.

• Stayed: April 2014
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Amanda V,

Thank you so much for your awesome review of your stay at the Topaz. I am really happy to hear how much you enjoyed your time with us and how accommodating the staff was.

We hope that you will come and see us again on your next trip down to DC.

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Topaz Hotel

Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

The Topaz is a great hotel in a great location in the DuPont Circle area. It is located on a lovely semi-residential street with a few small embassies nearby and a couple of highly rated restaurants; the Tabard Inn is literally next door and is a top rated brunch place. The Iron Gate is a beautiful restAurant right across the street. We didn't have time to get to either but reviews are very good. The Topaz staff is delightful and our room was spacious and beautiful. It's walking distance to the White House, and the complimentary wine happy hour daily was very welcome after a long day of touristing. There's a Starbucks at the end of the block. This place is very very nice. You won't be sorry if you stay here.

• Stayed: March 2014
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear Iron_City_Sandy,

Thank you for your outstanding review of your recent stay at the Topaz. I am delighted to see how much you enjoyed your time with us. I am so glad that the location worked out so well for you and you enjoyed the staff and amenities we have to offer.

We hope you will come see us again on your next trip to DC!

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We booked the Topaz for a long weekend in DC to sight-see and attend a friend's wedding. The location is excellent. A 5 minute walk to the Dupont Circle Metro, and plenty of dining options in the area. Friendly staff. We appreciated Kimpton's free membership (required for WiFi), which included a $10 credit for the on site bar/restaurant, and a free Washington Post. Parking is expensive ($45/night) but they do allow in-and-out, which we didn't need. They offer a nice Continental breakfast (yogurt, make your own waffles, cereal, etc.), although it's expensive ($4 for a small, extremely average, danish, for example); coffee/tea is free. The hotel is otherwise average. Honestly, I expected something a little nicer from a Kimpton Hotel. Bed and linens were nice the room is what you would expect anywhere, and possibly not even as good. The doors on the clothing cabinet (which was also the mini bar, so not much clothing storage at all) were broken. Pictures had been removed from above the beds although the hooks were still in place. The shower tile wasn't gross, but it looked like it could use a really good cleaning. Shampoo and lotion had a very medicinal smell, so you might bring your own. We were in a double room, but there was only one bathrobe. Nothing major, but like I said, I expected a little better for the brand. Will try another hotel the next time we're in DC.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear suzieb20142,

Thank you for your review. I am very appreciative of your feedback on your experience and your guest room. We will certainly look at where these breakdowns were with your accommodations.

I appreciate you taking the time to provide this feedback.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Thank you, Richie! I stay at Topaz all the time on business travel. Total frazzled by a series of severe deadlines on my last trip, I spaced out and misbooked myself by one day. When the cleaning staff discovered my stuff all over the room in the middle of the day, way after checkout, the wonderful manager Richie called me to figure out what was going on. He graciously extended my stay by a night, in my room, and ensured that everything was exactly as I had left it. Thank you! A real life saver.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Em_from_DC,

Thank you for your great review of your recent stay at the Topaz. I am so happy to see that Ritchie was able to assist you and take care of the date change.

We hope you will come and see us again soon!

Reviewed 5 May 2014

We spent a beautiful Spring weekend in DC at the Topaz and couldn't have been happier with our choice.

The location is great. We walked to many sites, restaurants, and the Metro. The street is quiet.

We enjoyed the wine in the Topaz bar in the evening. The scene was lively and the music on Friday night was terrific. From 5-6pm, wine is served free of charge. In the morning, the hotel provides coffee.

Our room was spacious, clean and nicely decorated. While the bathroom is small, it opened to a roomy dressing area. I do wish there was better lighting at the make-up table.

The front desk staff was extremely nice and accommodating.

I look forward to returning to the Topaz!

Room Tip: I would request a room away from the elevator.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear travelbug34,

Thank you so much for your outstanding feedback from your recent stay at the Topaz. I am so happy to read how much you enjoyed your stay, the staff and your guest room. I am also super excited to see that you were able to enjoy our live jazz musician on Friday night. I really think it adds an element of fun to the evening.

I really can't thank you enough for the kind words and wonderful review. We hope to see you again on your next trip!

Ryan Cime

Reviewed 3 May 2014

The hotel is average. All is looking a bit tired. Our room was spacious, the sheets and room clean and comfortable. The bathroom door had clearly been kicked in and tackily repaired and the bolster on the bed In need of a good clean being white and silver is not a good choice. We did have a issue with housekeeping- we placed a do not disturb sign on the door and our room was cleaned the issue was housekeeping disposed of dishes that were ours and I'm not talking about paper plates. We were not happy! We wanted our dishes back! Front desk staff were good about it and did go through the trash dumpster out the back which we could see them doing from our window. In the end my husband had to go down and help them in there search. An hour later our dishes were found! Not a good thing to be doing on your holiday and we are still dumb founded that our room was cleaned when we hung the sign on the door! We received no compensation or explanation as to why this occurred.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank gingerPerth

Dear gingerPerth,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. Again, I am terribly sorry for the incident with your dishes. Where I am glad that we were able to locate your items, I agree that the entire incident could and should have been avoided in the first place.

Please reach out to me directly at ryan.cimei@topazhotel.com so that we can see what we can do to make this up to you.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

The Topaz is quirky and not for everyone. We ( my husband & I) love it. This was our fourth stay. The beds and linens are conducive to a good night's rest. The rooms are sizable and clean. Small issues are attended to promptly and the breakfasts are reasonable considering the constraints from a small dining area. We have found the staff to be unusually helpful and attentive. The hotel is quiet as is the neighborhood. Public transportation is nearby ( hooray!) and of course taxis abound. All in all the Topaz is a little gem ( just a bit frade @ the edges). Something out of the ordinary is fun!

Room Tip: higher floors get more light,
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank waterboi
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear waterboi,

Thank you so much for your amazing review of your stay at the Topaz! I am so happy that you enjoy your time here so much and keep coming back to see us. I am really glad that the team was so helpful and you find the location and guest rooms so accommodating.

We look forward to having you back with us for your 5th stay!