“Worst service I've ever received in a hotel”

Kimpton Topaz Hotel
Ranked #83 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
NYC
“Worst service I've ever received in a hotel”
Reviewed 8 October 2008

Horrible service. The hotel obviously puts all their efforts in to cutesy things like "mood rocks" left on your pillow, at the cost of training their staff. From the front desk clerk, to the waitstaff, to the manager, worst service ever.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank LovesSushi
TopazFOM, Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, 27 October 2008
We have discussed with the guest personally and resolved the issue, which arose out of a misunderstanding. The General Manager promptly began follow-up with guest still on property.

While Topaz invests in items such a Zen river stones and herbal energy drinks to embellish on our story of well-being, all of our staff strive to create a personal experience for our guests. Creating a connection is our main priority and our staff are genuinely interested in each guest leaving this hotel with a great story to tell.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Korean first
Portland, OR
Reviewed 31 August 2008

I loved my 3 night stay here ($97 a night thru Kimpton). Don't be discouraged by the small lobby or the hot elevators. My room (803) was very large, beautiful and spotlessly clean. I had a panoramic view out the wall of glass that were the windows. Wonderful colors in the room, with all furnishings looking very new. I didn't find the size of the bathroom a problem--it's not where I want to spend much time! The only negative was with the air conditioning unit making a huge racket, and the two tries to get it fixed.

Stayed August 2008
2 Thank Kerrypdx
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, 11 September 2008
Hello Kerrypdx,

Thank you so much for staying with us and positing your review. I am glad that you enjoyed the hotel. We also feel that the smaller lobby is more intimate. I apologize for the elevators and the air conditioning. I will send a note to engineering to alert them to your concerns. Thank you again and please visit again soon!
Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed 29 August 2008

The Hotel Topaz is located on N Street in a fairly quiet and safe neighbourhood and close enough to hike down to the White House and other sights. It was reasonably priced when i booked it directly on their website ($122 averaged for 3 nights on Labor Day Weekend). The decor is funky and the room was very spacious. The bathroom comes with lovely Aveda shampoo, conditioner, soap and moisturizer. There was a separate vanity outside the bathroom which made things easier when getting ready in the mornings. I loved it and would definitely recommend it to anyone!

• Liked — Everything - decor, location, space!
  • Disliked — Not a thing!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SunnyMcBunny
Arlington, VA
Reviewed 20 August 2008

I recently stayed at Hotel Topaz with my girlfriends for a bachelorette party and we had a great time. It was a great value (I believe it was $118 for 2 Queens) and we loved the location just off 18th Street, close to all the clubs and bars nearby! It was on a quiet residential street, but so close to 18th and Connecticue that it was perfectly located for our party.

Our room was huge and perfectly arranged for 2 girls - although the bathroom was slightly small, the dressing/makeup alcove outside meant that we could both get ready at the same time.

The room was a little stuffy, but it cooled off OK by the end of the first night. We liked the decor a lot. We used the Topaz Bar 2 nights - it was pretty empty but served great drinks, and we found it a cozy spot to pre-party. I couldn't believe it wasn't more crowded.

We feel like we got a great deal - a big room, great location, and yummy drinks on-site made it a great weekend!

• Liked — Great location and value
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank VABizTrvlr
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2008
Hello VABizTrvlr,

Thank you for your post. I am glad that you were able to make use of one of our low rates during our various summer promotions. I am glad that you liked the room and that you thought it large and comfortable enough for the four of you. The Topaz Lounge does have a great atmosphere as its smaller more intimate setting allows you to chit-chat with friends. I am glad that you really enjoyed your stay and I hope that you will come back again soon!

Have a great day!
NewJersey
Reviewed 12 August 2008

Our family of 4 stayed here for 2 nghts in a twin queen room. It was a very spacious comfortable room but do agree with previous posts that the bathroom was small and we had to request a 4th towel.
We arrived on Saturday afternnon and although we were early for the 3pm check in we were able to get into our room.
The reception staff were excellent throughout our stay and saved us a lot of money by telling us we could park our car for free on the street outside on a weekend until 7am Monday morning. As we were not leaving until Monday afternoon we did use their valet parking service from Sunday evening. This saved us over $60.
The hotel is on a quiet street and our room was on the 2nd fllor at the front of the hotel but we did not have any outside noise.
The mini bar was extremely well supplied and the prices were not too expensive.
There is a tea kettle in the room with a selection of herbal teas but no coffee.
The Aveda bathroom products are high end and were a delight to use.
The hotel is an easy walk to the Metro and at the end of the hotel road is a Starbucks.
As the area has a lot of offices some of the small cafes that cater for them were not open on the weekend but we did go to 1800 Cafe on Monday morning. This is a tiny place catering for the office worker grabbing a quick snack. We had a breakfast sandwich and coffee and the price was reasonable and the service fast.
We would reccomend this hotel and will be looking for other Klimpton hotels on future vacations.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank ros71NJ
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2008
Hello ros71NJ,

Good day and thank you for your comments. I am glad that you thought the room was spacious and I do apologize about the size of the bathroom. I am pleased the front desk staff were excellent and helped you save money with parking. It seems that you were able to explore the area from your knowledgeable comments from your discoveries in the neighborhood. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Topaz and that you will look out for Kimpton Hotels in the future. I hope you are able to come back stay again soon! Have a nice day!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 8 August 2008

The Topaz is a great boutique hotel. Usally, boutique hotel equals tiny room, but not at the Topza. Our room was huge, and the dressing room area very handy for two gals sharing a room. while the decor may have been funky in the mid-90's its a little dated by today's standard, but this just ads to the charm. I don't think it had the Yoga/Serenity appeal they advertise, but this didn't imapct our stay. I couldn't have asked for more from a hotel room, and the price was so reasonable. The location near Dupont Circle is ideal. Front desk staff are friendly and helpful, and even provided a great restaurant recommendation.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank tj654
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2008
Hello tj654,

Thank you for your comments. I am glad that you thought your room was spacious. In fact, Topaz has some of the largest rooms in the area! I understand your feelings about the décor but I am happy that you thought the price was reasonable. I am sure the front desk staff will be thrilled that you recognized them for being friendly and helpful!

Have a great day and do come back soon! Bring more friends next time, we have the space!
Georgia
Reviewed 28 July 2008

I needed to attend a conference at the Washington Hilton approximately a mile North of this property (uphill). They were booked on the first night so my original plan was to book the Topaz for one night and then move.

But, the price was better than the Hilton conference rate and the website description intrigued me. After reading the reviews here I changed my plans and decided to stay at the Topaz for the entire stay. I think I made a very smart choice!

First, I asked for a high floor and a quiet room and I was given just that. The room faced the street and had good windows. I thought the room was larger than many urban hotel rooms I have had in the past. It had a desk with a study area in the L-shaped floor plan. There was a sofa with a coffee table. There was a large armoire at the foot of the bed and the TV could be rotated so it was viewable from the bed or the sofa. There was another easy chair and the bathroom had two rooms--a seating area at a dressing table and then the room with the fixtures. The shuttered closet contained robes in wild prints as well as a safe. I appreciated the safe and used it. It was easy to operate. There was a well-stocked mini-bar with much more than food and drinks. There was a razor, toothpaste, shaving cream, a first-aid kit, an intimacy kit, etc. There was a small bag of stones on the bed with a note about totems and a folded horoscope.
All in all it was funky as promised but also designed to provide a relaxing retreat....and it had free internet!!

I did not utilize room service but I did stop at the bar and get drinks that I took to the room. The staff was friendly, calling cabs when needed, and answering my questions.

The room service is a little spartan. I wanted eggs one morning and they only have cereals, pastries, and granola on the menu. Just next door inside the Old Tabor Inn there is a restaurant that serves a full breakfast so I walked over there.

The best find is the Iron Gate Restaurant directly across the street. There you dine under a grape arbor covered by an old grape vine. It is a very beautiful setting and the food is superb.

I put the privacy card on the door and it was honored. No one called me or knocked on the door. I loved that.

If I need a place in the Dupont Circle area I will return to the Topaz. I highly recommend it to you.

If pressed, the only negative thing I can say is that the elevators are very slow. Other guests remarked on this as well when I boarded it and others were on board, but all things considered this is a minor inconvenience. On this trip the Topaz helped me to slow down and I needed the respite.

• Liked — Location, Free Internet
  • Disliked — Room service selections
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank BeingGreen
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2008
Hello BeingGreen,

Thank you for your comments. I am glad that you chose to stay at the Topaz for your entire stay instead of just one night, it gave us the opportunity to show you what we are all about! If wellness and wellbeing is the story of the Topaz then it is inspiring to hear that is exactly what you experienced during your stay. Thank you and I do hope you will come back again soon!