“Beautiful Hotel, Amazing Staff. A boutique "gem"”

Kimpton Topaz Hotel
Ranked #83 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Valley Stream, New York
“Beautiful Hotel, Amazing Staff. A boutique "gem"”
Reviewed 25 April 2010

My live-in girlfriend and I went to DC for the cherry blossom festival with our 2 dogs (morkie and a 70lb shepard/lab mix). I've stayed at a few of Kimpton's finest before in denver and chicago so I knew my dogs would be well taken care of. At arrival was a welcome sign with my pups name on it with food and water. The staff was so friendly, helped us with dinner reservations to see if we can bring out dogs. We had a cage, a bed and food bowls waiting for us in our room. The rooms was so huge, the bed was king and soooo comfortable. Had a sitting area, desk, a makeup table outside the bathroom. They have free wi-fi so I got to utilize my lap top. Everything was terrific. We ate at the bar one night in the lobby and the food was surprisingly good. Very friendly bartender. The style of the hotel is a little weird but it gives it character. I wish I could complain about something but I can't. I usually like to make sure I stay at friendly places and this is no exception! Kimpton runs specials a lot so signing up at their website got us the blossom package with free breakfast and parking (huge savings). Breakfast was continental but was very nice and relaxing.
PS there is a dog park a few blocks away which tired my dogs out so we can enjoy our night out while our dogs slept quietly!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank acali07

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Korean first
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 22 April 2010

Great location as was the Kimpton in Boston Mass.

Very comfortable lounge also with very good breakfast buffet with plenty of local and National Newspapers.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 16 April 2010

My stay at Hotel Topaz was stupendous. I am big on customeer service and this hotel exceeded my expectations. I was greeted in a friendly manner as soon as I entered the hotel. I had a short wait to get checked. While I was waiting to get checked in I surveyed the grounds. It atmosphere was pleasant and the hotel lobby area was immaculate. The furniture was very trendy and the colors were pleasing to the eye. The young lady that helped us check in was very pleasant. I was there with my family celebrating my cousin's birthday and the hotel was nice enough to delivery welcome bags to all of the guests from the host. The room was very clean. I was impressed with the bar/lounge area and the attentiveness of the wait staff. All in all my stay at the Topaz was pleasant.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
easyliving1981
Reviewed 12 April 2010

Hotel Topaz is a very good hotel. Employees were very helpful and made us feel very welcomed. Not to mention it is pet friendly so there's no need for dog or cat sitters. It is located near everything you need such as eat out spots drug stores and atm machines which makes it very convenient for whoever stays. Rooms are very classy and service is great. I recommend this hotel if your planning a trip to D.C.. thanks Hotel Topaz for a wonderful experience!!!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 28 March 2010

So, when this hotel first opened, I lived in DC, and I used to drink mojitos at the bar. Now that I've moved away, I like to stay here when I visit (though Kimpton gives you incentives to visit its other properties, so I do that, too).
Though the bar is way less trendy than it was, I love the hotel. The staff is always incredibly helpful and friendly, the rooms are a good size, I'm a big fan of the Kimpton amenities (though when I travel for business I'm almost never back in time for the wine hour (sniff)). Plus, it's very convenient to metro, Dupont Circle, downtown while still being on a side street which keeps the noise down and gives you a pretty street view from the window. Plus, you're next door to the Tabard Inn if you're staying the weekend and want a fancy brunch.
This last trip, a snowstorm was coming on, and the staff worked pretty hard to make sure I had a cab (when cabs were hard to come by), and that it got me to the airport in time--much appreciated.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2010
Thanks for taking a moment to share your experience with other travelers on Tripadvisor. I'm glad to hear that your return visit was a pleasant one. Whenever you stay with us (or any Kimpton Hotel), by all means, let us know when you miss Wine Hour. Though we may not be able to recreate the bustling social atmosphere, we can certainly offer a glass of our featured wine for the month on your way back in.

By the way, we posted a few of the pictures from the snow storm on the Facebook fan page. Stop by when you have a moment to check them out. Thanks again and we look forward to your return.
Philadelphia
Reviewed 26 March 2010

Would recommend to friends and would definitely stay again. My husband, 2 year old daughter, and I arrived at 11am, hours before the set check-in and were immediately set-up in our room (wonderful to arrive at a hotel and be checked in early at no extra cost-we did not even have to ask). Originally booked the basic room and took advantage of the discounted upgrade program that was sent by email after booking. Opted to upgrade to a suite, if available and it was. The entire room was probably the most clean I have ever stayed in. The entire staff was extremely friendly. This was my first stay in Washington D.C. so not really sure about where to book a hotel based on location but it was excellent, centrally located and a nice walk around town. My only complaint was that there were no TV channels with cartoons and there were no DVD players available to play the DVDs we brought along. If they never add this extra I would still book and just bring along my own DVD player.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Hello momwithfamily, I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to post a review about your experience with us at Topaz. I'm really happy to hear that your stay was a good one and that you were able to receive a discounted upgrade, as well.

I was, however, pretty disappointed to read that we didn't have a dvd player available during your visit. So, we've gone out and purchased a few more to prevent this from disappointing you or any other guests in the future. Feel free to reach out to me directly if I can help with anything else on your next visit. Thanks again!
Bedford, Indiana
Reviewed 25 March 2010

Before getting to the important stuff - an editorial: Nothing says "welcome" more than being greeted with a smile upon entry. Unfortunately, the desk staff at the Topaz wasn't aware of this when I visited this past Tuesday.

The Topaz is in a great neighborhood, next to the historic Tabor Inn, and only a few blocks from the DuPont circle Metro. Despite the somewhat awkward welcome, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The room was large and very comfortable - up to the standard I've come to expect from the Kimpton brand. I've always appreciated the extra touches from the Kimpton hotels - from the animal print robes in the closet, to the decor, to the bathroom amenities.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business