“Great hotel, location and quiet at night!!”

Kimpton Topaz Hotel
Ranked #83 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
“Great hotel, location and quiet at night!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2010

We stayed at Hotel Topaz for four nights the first week of August. We booked based on reviews and location on Trip Advisor. Being a seasoned traveler yet from the south, we however, had not heard of the Kimpton chain. We were very pleased with entire experience. Yes, the lobby was small, but the only time we used the lobby was to pass through either coming or going and never had a problem. When we arrived, rooms were not ready and they stored our luggage until we arrived back to the hotel later that night. Our room on a top floor was nice. No problems with the beds, sounds from outside or inside. Slept really well. The AC worked properly, did not keep it cold but comfortably cool. We were not in our room during the daytime hours, only at night and again no problems. Front desk was helpful with all of our questions and suggested several spots to eat that were great!! It is a short couple of blocks to Dupont Circle to catch subway. Our overall experience was a very positive one. From the decor, which was fine to the size of the room I can voice no complaints. In fact, our dressing area had a separate room that attached to the bathroom which kept all of our luggage out of the way and helped with getting dressed in the morning. The only complaint, if I had one, would be that it would have been nice to have maybe some fruit or danish for the guest in the morning with coffee. I would definately suggest this hotel to friends.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Korean first
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2010

My husband and I were looking at Kimpton hotels in DC so we could spend the weekend and take our dog. Because the rooms were under $100, we went for Topaz. We were very happy with our stay.

The quiet street is still convenient to any number of things. We took long walks with our dog in the DuPont Neighborhood, Adams Morgan, Foggy Bottom/Georgetown, and even the memorials down on the national mall. We also got to sample some great restaurants that were all just a short walk from N St.

Our room was really nice. I was surprised by the size - we got a king sized bed with plenty of extra room.The room was in great shape. The hallways and elevators, as other reviews have noted, were worn, but the little lobby and bar were chic.

The staff was really nice and helpful. I'm not sure that anyone read the notes I put on my reservation though. I had asked for a crate which we didn't end up needing - our dog was to worn out from all of the great walks to be naughty.

I did feel bad for the people in the hotel who did not like dogs, or were afraid of them. The nice thing is that they have a 200 lb weight limit on pets, so you don't just see 'toy' breeds around the hotel. Our medium dog definitely startled a few people, I wonder how they handled the dogs twice as big. We did meet a lot of fellow dog lovers, which was fun.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Miami
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2010

We stayed for almost a week at the end of May 2010, and we really liked it.

I have been visiting Washington dc over the last 12 years and this is one of the best values that you can get in the city.

The location is good, there is an Starbucks nearby, the rooms are clean and the bed is good, I will definitively return next year if the equation price/value remains intact

• Stayed August 2010
Pilesgrove, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2010

They need to get a better exterminator. My husband and I stayed there as a birthday celebration for him on July 23 & 24. I must admit the photos on line make the lobby appear much nicer and larger than reality. The staff was very helpful...no complaints there. Thought for a small trendy hotel it was fine for a few nights stay until the LARGE mouse appeared in the room. When I informed the front desk of our intruder she did not seemed surprised and quickly offered to move us to another room. She did add " that sometimes happens in old buildings". Upon check out they did inform me they had taken $50 off the bill for our inconvenience. Would not stay again, but would be willing to try other Kimpton Hotels based on the reviews I have read.

Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2010
Dear JoyT_10

Thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback about your stay with us on Tripadvisor.com. We’re actually planning some really exciting renovations later this year, which will significantly enhance the arrival experience of the hotel. The lobby will always be cozier than most. But, we’re really excited about the new look. I was really happy to read that your interactions with our team were warm and genuine. And, as surprising as it is to hear that there’s a mouse in the hotel, we would never want to exacerbate the issue by reacting too emotionally. Our top priority in this case is to find a comfortable setting for you and then immediately address the problem. I would really love to discuss your stay and the solution that we’ve set in place in more detail. If you can carve out a moment to give me a call I can be reached at 202.521.7355 or at donte.johnson@topazhotel.com.
Huntington, West Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2010

I checked in on July 18 and was scheduled to stay in the hotel until July 23. I reserved a room with 2 beds and when I checked in they gave me a room with one bed. I went to the desk and asked to be moved into a room with 2 beds which they did. They gave me a room with 2 beds on the 10th floor. The room was really warm when I arrived and it did not get any better. It was around 80 when I checked in and around 78 when I woke up in the morning. I complained about the room temperature and also about the mini bar. I was hot and wanted something to drink shortly after I checked in and the bottle of lemonade that I selected in my mini bar was open with probably an eighth of the bottle already consumed. Needless to say, I did not eat or drink anything from the mini bar.
The desk staff said that they would take care of things. The next night it was still hot in the room around 79 or 80 and then I thought I saw a mouse. I dismissed it until I definitely saw a mouse run across the floor. I called the front desk and asked to move. They said they were full and couldn't move me until the next night. So, I called some friends and crashed with them. The front desk staff were nice, but the hotel is really pretty dodgy. I think the staff are aware of that and there is not much that can be done. I would never stay here again and I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Anonymous591758
Hello,

As always, we appreciate our guests taking the time to share their experiences both with us and other travelers on Tripadvisor.com. The stay described above falls far short of the manner in which we strive to treat our guests. I’m terribly sorry about that and committed to restoring the perception you had of Topaz Hotel when you chose us for your week long visit to our Nation’s Capital earlier this month. Given the seriousness of challenges mentioned, I would love to discuss this stay with you directly to ensure that you are aware of the action that has been taken to address your concerns and to do everything possible to repair your relationship with Topaz. I can be reached at 202.521.7355 or, if email is better, donte.johnson@topazhotel.com.
Richmond, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2010

I am a fan of Kimpton Hotels and this one was nice but if you are staying in the Dupont Circle area of DC I would suggest the Palomar. Location was great, it is on a nice, quiet street but still walking distance to Dupont Circle. Rooms were above average size with a couch and separate desk area. It was quite hot (over 100 degrees) while we were there and the AC had a hard time keeping up, our room never got below 75. No AC in hallways or elevators. My biggest complaint was the valet. The plus is that I have a hybrid car and it is free parking if you have a hybrid. The problem was that the valet left my windows open and there was a violent thunderstorm. My car had dirt caked everywhere with leaves in the seats, it is a new car with less than 5000 miles so it was sad to see it returned in that condition. The money I would have spent on parking will now be used to get my car detailed! We got a good deal on this hotel so I think it was worth it but I would not spend a lot of money to stay here.

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2010

Hello / The Topaz Hotel looks great from afar but falls flat on its face close-up. Topaz flaunts it's "delusions" of grandeur and uses them to polish up their website and online photo galleries. First impressions are greeted with spastic and incompetent valet staff followed by a very off-potting lobby odor. Cramped spaces / one thing this hotel raves about is its trendy and funky style. However, It's impossible to appreciate due to the what seems like 8' x 10' lobby. Small / old and dingy / unfinished elevators and once again cramped, non-air-conditioned hallways ( and still the haunting lingering stale odors ) . We arrived in late July / possibly the hottest weekend of the year ( 108 degrees ) . The hotel has faulty air-conditioning and leaves the rooms even more humid then outdoors leaving your bed feeling constantly wet. The bed / looks stylish in the photo right? Take off those decorative pillows and elegant duvet and you have a crummy white sheet and covering your bed. Why even show nice decor if it doesn't actually exist in the space? Bathroom is decent and very spacious, yet the shower doesn't exactly work like it should. The only other note worth making is the constant additions. You get the bare-minimum with this hotel. No free breakfast / No free Wi-fi ( unless you want to sign up for their program that sends you constant junkmail offers ) / and astronomical parking rates. Just let me save my time writing this atrocity and please, just don't go here. Do not let the funky decor and price tag fool you.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank saltwatersharks
Hello Saltwatersharks,

Thank you for sharing feedback about your stay with us on tripadvisor.com. We are committed to consistently providing genuine care and a positively unique experience to each guest who passes through our doors. We have clearly fallen short of that during your visit and for that I truly apologize. The heat wave in our area has definitely put our air conditioning system to the test. We have increased the capacity of our system significantly to meet the challenge of this summer. This has been greatly impactful and the hotel is currently comfortably cool. We recently upgraded the mulch in the landscaping in front of the hotel, which can sometimes leave a less appealing odor when freshly laid and I’m certain that’s the lobby experience that’s noted in your review. With regards to the complimentary wireless internet, Kimpton InTouch promotions are typically sent out quarterly, with the occasional update sent out between. But, we commit to contacting guests who opt in no more than once monthly. Guests may also enroll in KIT and opt out of our email offers if they would prefer not to receive them. Breakfast and parking are often available as a part of our package deals or special offers that can be booked via KIT, on our website, or directly with our reservations office. If you can find a moment to reach out, I’d like to speak with you directly about your experience in as much detail as you would like. Please give me a call at 202.521.7355 or donte.johnson@topazhotel.com.