“A Pet Friendly Luxury Botique Hotel”

Kimpton Topaz Hotel
Ranked #78 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 August 2010

I've stayed at a lot of hotels that allow dogs. Most higher quality chain hotels will charge $100 non-refundable deposits to have your pet stay in the room. So I've always ended up a lower level chain hotels that only have nominal charges. A few months ago I stumbled upon the Kimpton Hotels in their Vero Beach location. A beautiful beach-front suite that was pet-friendly and even more impressive is they actually seemed happy to have the pets (at no extra charge). The Topaz Hotel is also a Kimpton Hotel and true to the other location, they also welcomed fido with open arms. Soon as our two dogs walked in they were welcomed with fresh water and yummy dog food so they had something to do while I checked in. The hotel also has dog bowls, leashes, beds, and other amenities for the dog's stay. More important is my family didn't have to sacrifice a comfortable bed and clean room in order to find accomodations that included pets. After our first night at the Topaz, my husband exclaimed how well he slept and the bed was very comfortable. They also have all the different pillow types which is important to me as I need a flatter pillow to be comfortable. My teenage daughter loved the separate room with the make-up vanity table so she could do her hair and make-up in her own space. The location was fantastic and right across the street was a very romatic historic restaurant called the Iron Gate. The food was fabulous and the atomosphere and garden courtyard made the night special. The continental breakfast at the hotel was also very good and went far beyond continental with bacon, sausage, eggs, and more.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 11 August 2010

My daughter and I had seperate rooms and her first impression was Wow! Well, ny response was the same---Wow!

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed 11 August 2010

I've stayed at the Topaz twice now for business trips, and I really like it. It has an intimate feeling that I really like.

The rooms are large and comfortable and the front desk staff are extremely helpful. The Topaz Lounge is a fantastic bar...great for a nightcap.

The location is convenient to the Dupont Circle Metro so it's a nice option for tourists as well.

This being a Kimpton property, there are lots of those nice Kimpton touches: pet friendliness, complimentary beverages in the lobby (coffee/tea in the morning, Arnold Palmers in the afternoon, wine in the evening), "Raid the Minibar" program for InTouch members, etc.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 August 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Topaz for 3 nights during the last week of July. We had a very positive experience. The hotel is in a great location.....close to dupont circle, the national geographic museum and a 15-20 minute walk to the White House. The dupont metro stop was around the corner. The hotel itself is on a quiet street that was safe even late at night. The Tabard Inn is right next door and there was a great restaurant right across the street.
The staff of the hotel was phenomenal. They were always friendly and gave great recommendations. The sangria and wine reception from 5 to 6 PM was a welcomed treat. The hotel also had lemonade and ice tea with to go cups in the lobby.
The room had adequate space and was clean. I liked that there was a separate vanity area outside of the bathroom. The bed was comfortable and the linens were high quality. If I returned to the D.C. area I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2010

We stayed at Hotel Topaz for four nights the first week of August. We booked based on reviews and location on Trip Advisor. Being a seasoned traveler yet from the south, we however, had not heard of the Kimpton chain. We were very pleased with entire experience. Yes, the lobby was small, but the only time we used the lobby was to pass through either coming or going and never had a problem. When we arrived, rooms were not ready and they stored our luggage until we arrived back to the hotel later that night. Our room on a top floor was nice. No problems with the beds, sounds from outside or inside. Slept really well. The AC worked properly, did not keep it cold but comfortably cool. We were not in our room during the daytime hours, only at night and again no problems. Front desk was helpful with all of our questions and suggested several spots to eat that were great!! It is a short couple of blocks to Dupont Circle to catch subway. Our overall experience was a very positive one. From the decor, which was fine to the size of the room I can voice no complaints. In fact, our dressing area had a separate room that attached to the bathroom which kept all of our luggage out of the way and helped with getting dressed in the morning. The only complaint, if I had one, would be that it would have been nice to have maybe some fruit or danish for the guest in the morning with coffee. I would definately suggest this hotel to friends.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2010

My husband and I were looking at Kimpton hotels in DC so we could spend the weekend and take our dog. Because the rooms were under $100, we went for Topaz. We were very happy with our stay.

The quiet street is still convenient to any number of things. We took long walks with our dog in the DuPont Neighborhood, Adams Morgan, Foggy Bottom/Georgetown, and even the memorials down on the national mall. We also got to sample some great restaurants that were all just a short walk from N St.

Our room was really nice. I was surprised by the size - we got a king sized bed with plenty of extra room.The room was in great shape. The hallways and elevators, as other reviews have noted, were worn, but the little lobby and bar were chic.

The staff was really nice and helpful. I'm not sure that anyone read the notes I put on my reservation though. I had asked for a crate which we didn't end up needing - our dog was to worn out from all of the great walks to be naughty.

I did feel bad for the people in the hotel who did not like dogs, or were afraid of them. The nice thing is that they have a 200 lb weight limit on pets, so you don't just see 'toy' breeds around the hotel. Our medium dog definitely startled a few people, I wonder how they handled the dogs twice as big. We did meet a lot of fellow dog lovers, which was fun.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2010

We stayed for almost a week at the end of May 2010, and we really liked it.

I have been visiting Washington dc over the last 12 years and this is one of the best values that you can get in the city.

The location is good, there is an Starbucks nearby, the rooms are clean and the bed is good, I will definitively return next year if the equation price/value remains intact