“GREAT service and an overall wonderful stay!”

Kimpton Topaz Hotel
Ranked #81 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Silver Spring, Maryland
“GREAT service and an overall wonderful stay!”
Reviewed 16 August 2010

My girlfriends and I planned an overnight stay at the hotel and were blown away by the great service. We threw our girlfriend a surprise birthday party and the hotel did so much to help us celebrate. Tighe, the front office supervisor, helped us with everything from ordering food to throwing in a birthday surprise for the birthday girl. She could tell the amount of effort that went into everything and had a great time. We will all definitely come back again!! The location and cleanliness of the hotel were perfect as well.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Korean first
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 15 August 2010

My sister, her pug, and I traveled to the Topaz for our annual sisters weekend. We booked the Topaz because of the great reviews on trip advisor, and the $99 rate we found through their summer sale email they send to Kimpton in touch members (free). We love the special kimpton touches, so staying at a Kimpton is a must. We are friends on Facebook, and learned the secret magic word for August, which got us a free upgrade to a yoga room and valet parking. Raymond helped checked us in, poured us wine at their complimentary happy hour, and even took a picture of Bailey the pug to put on their hotel pet wall. Raymond and the rest of the staff really went above and beyond to make us feel welcome. I would definitely stay here again and highly recommend it!

1 Thank Calliopea
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 13 August 2010

I come to D.C. a few times a year for one or two-week stretches on business. I started off at the nearby Rouge Hotel, which is also a Kimpton. It was a little too much of a party hotel on a busy street so I started going to the Topaz.
It is fantastic - it's on a quiet street close to Dupont Circle and Connecticut Ave. The rooms are all large with distinct working areas featuring big desks and free wireless Internet as well as several side tables, an extra comfy chair or couch and nice big windows. Those large rooms make long stays a treat...you don't feel confined. The rooms have a safe and they also provide comfy animal print bathrobes and an umbrella. I like the room lighting as well as the funky interior design.
I find the bathrooms a little too small and the shower/tub area out of date. However each bathroom has a sort of ante room where you can leave toiletries, etc. I also find the TV, which has satellite cable, has a very narrow selection of pay-per-view movies and only a handful of channels to watch.
On the plus side, the service is excellent. Each time I stay, I request a kettle in my room for tea as well as some dishes for breakfasts and snacks and they're always there in advance. The front desk staff are very helpful and pleasant, and as others have mentioned, they serve complimentary drinks after work.
The hotel has no gym but you can get a pass for the YMCA less than a block away.
This is a pet friendly hotel, so probably not for people with allergies.

4 Thank rainyday3
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 12 August 2010

I stay in DC on occasion and usually at a national chain. This time I decided to try a smaller boutique and found the Topaz.
It lived up to all that was on it's web-site as far as amentities. But what was not on the web-site was their people. I had the occasion to come in contact with at least 6 employees and found them all very friendly and courteous. The front desk manager Tighe Renne even took the time to email me links that would help me wirh my IPhone.
Clean - Friendly - resonable

Charlotte
Reviewed 11 August 2010

I've stayed at a lot of hotels that allow dogs. Most higher quality chain hotels will charge $100 non-refundable deposits to have your pet stay in the room. So I've always ended up a lower level chain hotels that only have nominal charges. A few months ago I stumbled upon the Kimpton Hotels in their Vero Beach location. A beautiful beach-front suite that was pet-friendly and even more impressive is they actually seemed happy to have the pets (at no extra charge). The Topaz Hotel is also a Kimpton Hotel and true to the other location, they also welcomed fido with open arms. Soon as our two dogs walked in they were welcomed with fresh water and yummy dog food so they had something to do while I checked in. The hotel also has dog bowls, leashes, beds, and other amenities for the dog's stay. More important is my family didn't have to sacrifice a comfortable bed and clean room in order to find accomodations that included pets. After our first night at the Topaz, my husband exclaimed how well he slept and the bed was very comfortable. They also have all the different pillow types which is important to me as I need a flatter pillow to be comfortable. My teenage daughter loved the separate room with the make-up vanity table so she could do her hair and make-up in her own space. The location was fantastic and right across the street was a very romatic historic restaurant called the Iron Gate. The food was fabulous and the atomosphere and garden courtyard made the night special. The continental breakfast at the hotel was also very good and went far beyond continental with bacon, sausage, eggs, and more.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed 11 August 2010

My daughter and I had seperate rooms and her first impression was Wow! Well, ny response was the same---Wow!

• Stayed August 2010
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 August 2010

I've stayed at the Topaz twice now for business trips, and I really like it. It has an intimate feeling that I really like.

The rooms are large and comfortable and the front desk staff are extremely helpful. The Topaz Lounge is a fantastic bar...great for a nightcap.

The location is convenient to the Dupont Circle Metro so it's a nice option for tourists as well.

This being a Kimpton property, there are lots of those nice Kimpton touches: pet friendliness, complimentary beverages in the lobby (coffee/tea in the morning, Arnold Palmers in the afternoon, wine in the evening), "Raid the Minibar" program for InTouch members, etc.