“Great value!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great value!”
Reviewed 10 September 2010

The Topaz is a comfortable, convenient hotel that is a great value. The staff is courteous and helpful, and a nice bonus if you are an In Touch member is that they give you $10 to "raid the mini bar."

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Korean first
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 9 September 2010

Great spot to travel from each day. Spent a week here visiting the city, and we could not have been more pleased with the professional service staff and room. Breakfast at hotel expensive (and next door at the Tabard Inn, even more, but, with at least a pleasant courtyard to enjoy your morning coffee). Suggest a quick two minute walk to the main corner of "N" street and Connecticut Ave where you will find tons of restaurants with Dupont Circle only 2 blocks away from the hotel's front door. We had good food at Luna Grill for breakfast, and great at Berttucci's for lunch, plus La Tomate for a terrific dinner. Embassy Row starts at only three blocks from hotel, so be prepared to hear a wonderful variety of a hundred accents during your meals! We walked to the White House in twenty minutes. Would suggest the subway to the Capitol or National Mall / Smithsonian Museums. There are stations about five minutes from the hotel both north and south on Connecticut. This was our first stay at a Kimpton and we are sure there will be more.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 September 2010

We will stay here again. In fact, I am looking forward to it. You have to walk a few blocks to the subway, but it's not far and downtown DC is just a few stops. We got an excellent last minute deal for DC and our boys loved it here (ages 8 and 9). I don't believe I'd take small children simply because there isn't a lot of room for them to move around. The Hotel is a little older (but well cared for) and bathroom was not big for a family of four. HOWEVER... it well makes up for any small critique with its extremely helpful staff, new age atmosphere, excellent breakfast, cleanliness and comfortable beds. We are still shaking our heads on how helpful and kind the staff were. And, of course, how does one go wrong in a hotel with two fish in the lobby named Nirvana and Serenity?

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
United States
Reviewed 1 September 2010

As most reviews have indicated, this hotel is in a great location, it is very clean, and the staff are very courteous, knowledgable and very customer-service focused. The price for this hotel is also very reasonable.

However, the hotel itself is quite old. Although the bedroom is a bit larger than average, the bathroom is tiny, the halls are narrow and have low ceilings, and the elevators are stiffling. Unfortunately, these are all things that cannot be easily changed or fixed.

My biggest complaint, however, is the room. I happened to be here when it is 95 degrees, and the A/C just can't handle it. It doesn't get below 78 at any point during the night. The rooms of my traveling-mates are the same, so I know it is not just my room. Further, the bed is just not comftorable - the sheets are rough, the pillows hard and the matress is also quite hard. Some may not find this a problem, but all I am doing at this hotel is sleeping, so all of the other ammenities really don't mean that much to me. I'm coming ack next week, and I will try one of the other Kimpton's a couple of blocks away.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Missouri
Reviewed 29 August 2010

Just got back from DC where I stayed at the Topaz for 4 nights while playing tourist on a "boy trip" with friends. I stayed here specifically because of the Tripadvisor reviews and they were totally right on. The location was perfect- 5 minute walk to the Metro station and Dupont Circle and 20 minutes or so from both the White House and Georgetown. The staff was very courteous and friendly- they gave good advice about anything we asked. We took part in their morning juice and late afternoon wine but the blueberry fortune cookies in the lobby were the best. The rooms were relatively large and very reasonably priced for DC. It was even cheaper as one of my friends drove and he got to park free because he brought his Prius (free parking for hybrids)The beds were comfortable, the AC worked great, and there was no noise overnight. I left instructions for wakeup calls and they never failed me. While they charge for internet service printing boarding passes is free- nice touch! Overall I have nothing but praise for the place and would return in a minute.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Philly
Reviewed 27 August 2010

Stayed at Topaz because of their pet friendly policy and loved it! The staff was so accommodating and made us feel very welcome. The room was spacious and clean and it is in a great location. The evening wine reception was very nice as was Rick, the bartender in the hotel restaurant. Will definitely stay at the Topaz next time in D.C. and will look for other Kimpton Hotels when traveling.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 24 August 2010

We chose the Topaz based on reviews in Trip Advisor and the Location was walking distance to everything we wanted to do. With so many hotels in DC, and many near Dupont Circle, we narrowed our search down to a matter of amenities. I want to give a fabulously glowing review but I just can't. Topaz Hotel tries very hard to be an upscale luxury hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful for the most part. The decor was very trendy and interesting albeit a bit worn and dog-chewed. The room was clean and that's my most important demand for any hotel room! So that was half the battle right there. But was it a comfortable stay? Not entirely. The mini fridge was very loud and rattled all night keeping us up. We considered unplugging it but we were afraid we would melt chocolates in it and be charged for them. We kept shifting it to make it stop but it would just start right up again. The air conditioner was covered by curtains so you either have to keep that portion of the curtain open all night or turn the AC down really low. I don't know what Frette Italian sheets are supposed to feel like but there was nothing special about these. I have 400 thread count sheets at home and these were not nearly as nice as that. We had to request many things from the front desk because they were missing from our room. No remote for the TV. No Yoga DVDs. The phone to call the front desk didn't work. The remote control to work the DVD player was broken. Some of the Yoga props were missing. We had to request the free breakfast vouchers that were included in our upgrade as they were not given to us when we checked in. I don't like being high maintenance but we had to keep asking for things. Parking at $35 a night is ridiculous! Especially when there is a parking garage across the street. We parked in a garage on desales (2 blocks over) in a valet lot that was $20/night. The in room movies were $15 and the in room spa services were very expensive (50 minute massage for $150. - there are a couple of day spas just a short walk away that charge $1/minute for services) so you are paying luxury hotel prices - but not really getting a luxury hotel experience.

The positives: The room was huge! Maybe the largest hotel room I've ever stayed in. The staff were pleasant and accommodating. The location was fantastic! Starbucks a block away! The breakfast buffet was very good. They had all the usual items but then kicked it up a notch by adding fancy syrups for the coffee, cheese and green onions in the eggs - lots of bacon - a very nice offering. The shower was very nice - good water pressure - and very clean! They are a pet friendly hotel on a quiet street.

I would not stay there again because there are too many other hotels to try in the area, but I would not discourage anyone from trying them out either. I would recommend this hotel to a friend - but I would give them the pros and cons just like I did here for all of you. Every room is different I'm sure so maybe the people who stayed in our room before us nicked all the stuff we were missing! Hopefully a very fair, honest review.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple