“Fantastic room, inexperienced staff”

Kimpton Topaz Hotel
Ranked #83 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Honolulu
“Fantastic room, inexperienced staff”
Reviewed 7 October 2010

My four days at the Topaz were very pleasant. The decor and layout of my room were really exceptional--lots of room, beautiful design, comfortable bed. Truly one of the nicest rooms I've ever stayed in, among many business hotels. The location was very convenient--walking distance from Dupont Circle and many restaurants. It does the major things right.

The not-so-great:

First, there's practically no lobby, and almost no restaurant; a bar with some snacks. As I said, you can walk to any number of restaurants, but if you want something in the hotel, your options are very limited.

Second, the front door is always locked, presumably to keep out the riff-raff, so you have to wait for someone at the front desk to open it electronically. They do, but it's a minor irritant to have to pause every time before going in or out. The Tabard Inn next door doesn't seem to have the same concerns. Also, the lobby is very small and the front desk directly faces the front door, so I don't see the need for heightened security

Third, there seemed to be a different person at the front desk almost every time I went past it. It's nice to have some consistency. And the people who were at the front desk were friendly enough, but inexperienced and unprofessional. One of the other reviewers described it as seeming like it was their first summer jobs--exactly. Young people talking with each other, or on their cell phones, not very knowledgeable. When I asked the person at the desk to call me a cab to go to the airport, she suggested a service she knew, so I agreed. The driver was late, and every time she called him to find out where he was, he was "almost there." This gets old pretty fast. I'm pretty sure he was a friend of her's whom she was trying to help out. OK, but if you're working for a hotel like this, you'd better be sure your friends are reliable.

Still, I did enjoy my stay, and the room was hard to beat.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Korean first
Cordova Alaska
Reviewed 2 October 2010

The Topaz Hotel experience has been consistent. This was my third visit in their home. It was a place where all my needs were cheerfully met. I needed a quiet place to prepare for the next days and the Topaz allowed me to do so. I had wonderful meals in their dining area; I had help with my logistics; I had a friendly face to greet me at all hours. The staff treated me so special and I felt pampered. I also saw that they spoiled everyone who stayed there. Their standards have been consistent yet when I needed a special favor, it was granted. I met interesting staff as well as interesting fellow travelers.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 27 September 2010

During my stay at the topaz was great. This is not my 1st time staying there, I go often because the service is excellent and the hotel speaks for itself.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 22 September 2010

We went to DC for our anniversary and birthday. I found the Topaz Hotel last minute, the week before we left on our trip. From the moment we made our reservations it was a BLAST. They were so attentive, caring, and accommodating. We received comps for food, drinks, and they were very helpful in giving directions, and had awesome suggestions for places to eat, etc. They went out of their way to make sure that not only our stay in the hotel was comfortable, but made sure that our entire
trip was going great.
I have to give a thumps up to Haley (hope name is spelled right) she was amazing, from the minute we got off the plane to the moment we left she was right there making sure we were having a great stay. The whole staff was great they really made us feel special. Usually when a hotel is busy you get lost in the shuffle, But NOT at the Topaz they gave us great service the whole time we stayed there. Even when we extend our stay 2 days there they made it so we could stay in our original room. Which was awesome, because they were pretty full. The hotel is in a quiet neighborhood, 10 min walk to the Dupont Circle metro, near to restaurants, shops, bars, banks, CVS, very convenient. We were close to all the major attractions either by Metro or even walking.
Whether for business or pleasure the Topaz Hotel is a great place to stay. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank NettCH1
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 22 September 2010

We initially chose the Topaz because it was a bargain compared to its competition. We weren't sure what we'd find when we arrived, but it was great. The lobby is small and won't impress anyone, but check-in was fast and the desk clerk was the best. We were surprised to find that our room was actually a suite, with a separate living room area. Both were smartly designed and trendy - the exact opposite of the way the hotel exterior looks. Our room faced N Street and was on the second floor, but was very, very quiet. The bed and linens were high quality. A short walk to DuPont Circle gave us a variety of dining and entertainment options. I recommend it highly.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RJS50
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 September 2010

This hotel is very conveniently located in Washington, not too far from DuPont Circle. The room was very spacious, well-appointed, and quiet comfortable. Free afternoon cocktails and wine are an added bonus. Overall, highly recommended for business travelers, but also families, and those looking for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank bonnlieber
Irvine, California
Reviewed 17 September 2010

I never write negative reviews about anything and I have to be perfectly honest, though this was a year ago, I couldn't help but write one now. I stayed here for a conference and the hotel was booked by my company. I was given a very small room, which was made worse by the fact the lobby is tiny so I couldn't even escape the confines of the room for an open lobby space. The room was a bit tired looking and the bed was unimpressive... that is, until I realized it was impressive for the quantity of bugs in it.

I left this hotel with bug bites from the bottom of my feet to top of my neck and when i requested to check out early out of disgust, they told me I would have to stay the full length or pay for the remainder of my stay anyway. After I complained thoroughly, they switched us to a different room, that was admittedly bigger, but by no means made up for the fact that I now had enormous welts and was awkwardly scratching during my conference!

I had brought my husband along for this conference so he could enjoy the stay and travel a bit. We were VERY happy we had elected to stay elsewhere for the weekend portion of our trip since no one could relax in that room.

Maybe they cleaned the place up, but if not, stay away!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank jessman85m
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, 22 October 2010
Dear jessman85m,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience with us and fellow travelers here on tripadvisor.com. I’m terribly sorry to read that your stay with us last year was not pleasant one.

On average our rooms are approximately 400 square feet and we have a really comprehensive pest control program which includes frequent preventative treatments throughout the building. I have shared your experience with our team to ensure that any necessary operational adjustments are made, as well.

I’m sincerely disappointed that your experience with us was not consistent with our standard or your expectations. So I’d love to speak to you directly if you’re able to carve out the time. I can be reached at 202.521.7355.

Donte Johnson