“Outstanding service”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Outstanding service”
Reviewed 12 November 2010

I got a couple of rooms for a bachelor party and they had overbooked on of the room types. They gave us a different room and provided a rollaway bed as well as a discount. No complaints here and they were very quick with provide the extra bed. The location was perfect and is on a quiet street, but is within walking distance to many bars/clubs in the area. The staff was extremely friendly and very accommodating.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Korean first
SoCal
Reviewed 24 October 2010

We spent two nights at a stuffy - as in attitude, not air quality - Capitol Hill hotel. Moving to the Topaz was a wonderful change. The minute we walked into the lobby we felt at home. The vibe is casual and relaxed and every staff member was extremely friendly and helpful.
Our king room was outrageous in a great way. Top floor like we had requested. The layout with a small hallway and the desk in an alcove made it feel very spacious. The bed was extremely comfortable and had a nice choice of pillows. We adored the bright colors and wild patterns of the wallpaper, furniture and carpet. What a fun change from the usual boring hotel room decor. Other reviewers have mentioned the small lobby. Yes it's small
but so what - how much time do you spend in a hotel lobby anyway? The location is great - close to shops and restaurants at DuPont Circle and within walking distance of the White House. After long days of sight-seeing it was a pleasure to come back to the complimentary wine hour. This was our first Kimpton experience and it couldn't have been better. It will be Kimpton hotels for us from now on.

London
Reviewed 22 October 2010

We had a lovely visit at the Topaz...the people were lovely, the location suited us and the accommodation (King Size Deluxe) was super..top marks, there was a kettle...

Walking distance of the White House and lots of other stuff, but for those who don't walk the Metro is less than 10 minutes walk and buses were available nearby. Bars and restaurants available within walking distance.

If you have the option, book the Internet rate plus $1 for breakfast (or cocktails!). I can't speak for the cocktails, but the breakfast option is good value on this basis - includes scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, potato as well as fruit, yogurt, pastries etc. That said, I wouldn't pay market rate for the breakfast (or its components) as quoted when we were there.

1 Thank LondonVectis
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2010

You can't go wrong with Kimpton hotels. Last time I was in DC I stayed at the Kimpton Palomar, this time I tried the Topaz in the same area and just like my first visit my expectations were superceded. The rooms are modern, well designed and spotlessly clean - the only red flag is that the beds are so comfortable it makes getting up in the morning quite tricky!! Reception was first class. I heartily recommend this hotel

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
New York CIty
Reviewed 13 October 2010

I stayed for a friends wedding on 10.10.10 of which I was a part of so we had a wedding block with a discounted rate. I called the reservations desk in July to make a reservation for two rooms, they had the group block, but they only had two double beds, fine. Fast forward to September, and my mother, who was travelling with us calelld the Topaz to get the confirmation numbers. The front desk told her they did not have my name or any rooms for us, so my mother was put in contact with the reservations line, where they made her two reservations for two kings, hmmm i thought you were out of kings!!! In the end they ended up making her three rooms one at the group block rate and the other at some absurd amount!!! What im trying to get at is that every different person I spoke to had different information and no one knew what the other one knew. The reservations department is absurd and very frustrating. Being said they are all nice, but not too informed.

So on to the hotel- Check in was kind and courteous and we were allowed a room at 1130am way ahead of check in time, with all of my prefrences honored. We had rm. 709 i suggest this room because as opposed to the -11 rooms the windows are twice as long and the office desk is set apart in its own part/ alcove of the room, very nice and private. The bead was better than "heavenly" ;-) it was very comortable and the sheets were fab. The room was clean, but other than that, I just felt like everything was off. Not with the staff at all, they were great, but the TV, while flat screen had about 18 channels and had VERY poor quality. The room decord was VERY odd- like a circus, and that reminds me of clowns, of whom i do not like so it was kind of disturbing. The bathroom was a little small, but fine, they should think about putting in the curved shower rod to give a bit more space in the room. Location is good too.

I guess i liked my stay, but I think there are other options that might be better for the DC area.

Oh- and join their Kimpton InTouch program, you get free internet and a $10 mini bar credit during your stay!

Honolulu
Reviewed 7 October 2010

My four days at the Topaz were very pleasant. The decor and layout of my room were really exceptional--lots of room, beautiful design, comfortable bed. Truly one of the nicest rooms I've ever stayed in, among many business hotels. The location was very convenient--walking distance from Dupont Circle and many restaurants. It does the major things right.

The not-so-great:

First, there's practically no lobby, and almost no restaurant; a bar with some snacks. As I said, you can walk to any number of restaurants, but if you want something in the hotel, your options are very limited.

Second, the front door is always locked, presumably to keep out the riff-raff, so you have to wait for someone at the front desk to open it electronically. They do, but it's a minor irritant to have to pause every time before going in or out. The Tabard Inn next door doesn't seem to have the same concerns. Also, the lobby is very small and the front desk directly faces the front door, so I don't see the need for heightened security

Third, there seemed to be a different person at the front desk almost every time I went past it. It's nice to have some consistency. And the people who were at the front desk were friendly enough, but inexperienced and unprofessional. One of the other reviewers described it as seeming like it was their first summer jobs--exactly. Young people talking with each other, or on their cell phones, not very knowledgeable. When I asked the person at the desk to call me a cab to go to the airport, she suggested a service she knew, so I agreed. The driver was late, and every time she called him to find out where he was, he was "almost there." This gets old pretty fast. I'm pretty sure he was a friend of her's whom she was trying to help out. OK, but if you're working for a hotel like this, you'd better be sure your friends are reliable.

Still, I did enjoy my stay, and the room was hard to beat.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Cordova Alaska
Reviewed 2 October 2010

The Topaz Hotel experience has been consistent. This was my third visit in their home. It was a place where all my needs were cheerfully met. I needed a quiet place to prepare for the next days and the Topaz allowed me to do so. I had wonderful meals in their dining area; I had help with my logistics; I had a friendly face to greet me at all hours. The staff treated me so special and I felt pampered. I also saw that they spoiled everyone who stayed there. Their standards have been consistent yet when I needed a special favor, it was granted. I met interesting staff as well as interesting fellow travelers.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business