“This is still a gem of a boutique hotel!”
Review of Capitol Hill Hotel

Capitol Hill Hotel
Ranked #11 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
Manhattan
“This is still a gem of a boutique hotel!”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

This is my go-to hotel when in town for business (walking distance to the SCOTUS, Library of Congress) and every stay has been trouble-free and relaxing. The rooms are large, clean, and quiet. The front desk is pleasant and accommodating. The neighborhood is quiet, residential, and safe, and since my last visit, several new restaurants have opened around the corner on Pennsylvania Avenue. My one complaint is that the breakfast room is way too crowded to be pleasant -- literally SRO at 7:15 a.m.-- and it looked like a very carb-heavy selection. Management: make the experience less like a sale on Black Friday and offer a more healthy and balanced selection, please!

Room Tip: When travelling alone, I prefer rooms in the main building rather than the annex.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Hello N2NY,

Thank you for staying with us and for posting a review of your great experiences. I'm glad they've consistently been enjoyable ones. And this review has been pretty awesome to read. We greatly value and appreciate feedback from our guests.
So now, as I fight through mental images of stampedes of discount-crazed shoppers trampling one another over Tickle Me Elmo's (do little ones still love these?) and 42" LED televisions that read your mind and record the shows you want before you know they exist, I've arrived at the question of our morning continental breakfast service. In lieu of hot protein items ("the man" won't allow us to serve hot food), we offer hard boiled eggs, sliced deli meats and cheeses, and yogurt. These are indeed served alongside a slew of delicious, carbohydrate-packed continental breakfast items. Speaking of packed, we have got to figure out some way to make breakfast less popular with our guests. It would cost us less and create a more seamless experience for guests.
With the rooms refresh just around the corner we're planning to review our entire continental breakfast service. This will likely result in some changes. I look forward to hearing feedback on the new offerings.

Donte Johnson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Hebrew first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I have no complaints at all about this hotel! Every staff member was incredibly helpful and the rooms were spacious and newly updated! Plenty of sights to see within walking distance and bars, restaurants and Starbucks are right around the corner! Will definitely stay here for all future Dc trips!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Hello Stephanie M,

Thank you for staying with us and for posting a review here on Tripadvisor. I'm glad you enjoyed our awesome neighborhood and our spacious rooms. The next time you come by this way, while Capitol Hill will presumably be equally as awesome, our rooms will be even better (unless you're planning a return visit in the next couple of weeks). I'd love to get your feedback on the "New Look" Capitol Hill Hotel. Thanks again for your review. We really appreciate it.

Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We have stayed at this hotel on 2 prior occasions and been quite satisfied. However, that was not the case for our recent trip. The kitchenette in our room was not clean and the sheets were threadbare. Additionally, there was no room information provided regarding hotel amenities or checkout time. When we brought these matters to the attention of the lobby staff, with the manager present, we were told that the hotel was undergoing "changes." We were also told that items such as checkout times were provided with the room keys...Evidently, our key packet "slipped through the cracks!" It appeared that no notations were made regarding our concerns.
This hotel can do better...We hope to see an improvement and a return to good service.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello colonialparkway,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience with us. I'm terribly sorry to hear that it wasn't and outstanding one and furthermore I'm disappointed to read that we were less than empathetic when you shared your frustrations. I agree that we're capable of much better and I look forward to doing so on your next visit. Thank you again for posting your feedback. We appreciate it.

Piscataway, New Jersey
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Brought our granddaughter to visit Washington, DC in early November. Location was excellent. Walking distance to many of the attractions. Neighborhood was beautiful. The staff was efficient and very helpful with many suggestions of places to eat and see. The room was a little dated but we weren't there to stay in the room all day. Otherwise, the kitchenette was great. Breakfast was delicious and plenty of choices. Since we didn't see everything, we will be back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Hello Pat H,

Thank you for taking a moment to post this fantastic review of your stay with us. It's great to hear that you and your granddaughter had an enjoyable visit. In reviewing your posting I noticed that you felt that the rooms need to be updated. In a couple of weeks we will begin the process of doing just that. I hope you'll have an opportunity to visit Washington again next year to check out our new look. Thanks again for the review!

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Great place to stay when visiting DC. Just a few blocks from The Capital in a great location! The front desk staff was nice & super accommodating! The room was nice and spacious with a fancy decor. I would definitely stay again!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Hello Jasmine H,

Thank you for staying with us and posting this great review! It's really fantastic to read that you had an enjoyable visit to The Hill. I'll be sure to share your feedback with the team here at the hotel. Thanks again for the feedback. Come back soon!

Thanks,

Wyncote, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 November 2013

This well-located, super convenient hotel was very affordable by DC standards, and has one of the friendliest, most accommodating professional staffs I've ever encountered (and I'm a seasoned business traveler.) The room was comfortable and the small touches like free WiFi, free, expanded continental breakfast and more made our overnight stay there last week very pleasant.
I would recommend highly you consider it on your next trip, especially if you need proximity to the Hill. An excellent value!

Hello Denise R,

Thank you for posting this fantastic review of our hotel here on Tripadvisor. I appreciate the awesome comments about your stay. It's especially gratifying for our team to hear such great feedback from a well-traveled reviewer. I look forward to sharing your review with everyone at the hotel and we look forward to your return.

Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I would like to tell you I really liked this place but I want to be honest. Since the hotel is located in Washington DC about three blocks from the Capital it is not cheap but they give my company a great rate. It is just a few blocks from my office so it is very convenient.

The Capital South Metro station is one block from the hotel and it is easy to find a taxi. There are a number of decent restaurants, dry cleaners and a few small grocery stores within walking distance. There are a couple of ATMs within a block.

The front lobby is small but the staff was friendly and efficient. I arrived early so I could not get into my room. They quickly checked my luggage and found me a taxi. They even offered to call my cell phone when the room was ready.

The room was disappointing. It was very dated. Light plates were cracked and broken. The tub had a number of chips and dents. The power plugs were old and worn out. The walls were scared up and the door was warped. It would not close by itself. I would have to push it shut. The room had plenty of closets.

The walls are thin. The guy next door was making a bunch of noise that was getting on my last nerve.

Would I stay here again … not until they update the property or if there is NOTHING else available!

1 Thank Patrick O
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Hello Patrick O,

Thank you for taking the time to review us here on Tripadvisor. I appreciate your honest and candid feedback and I'm glad to read that you were treated well during your stay with us. I'm sorry that room fell short of your expectations. I am, however, happy to share with you that we're beginning a room renovation on December 26 of this year. The great thing about having two buildings is that we're able to renovate in sections so as to not create a disruptive environment for our guests. I hope you'll give our new rooms a try on your next trip to Washington.