“Wonderful place!”

Capitol Hill Hotel
Ranked #9 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We are on the fourth night of our five-night stay, and I can't wait to visit here again. Location is superb, good size room with walk-in AND coat closets. We've had plenty of space for our party of three, which includes a teenage male. I wandered into the lobby on night two for an extra room key, and the gentleman at the desk called me by name (last time I experienced that was at a Ritz-Carlton). TV had an issue, and it was replaced within 15 minutes of our call. No noise from other rooms, and I know there are families with small children here. Easy, easy walk to Metro. Excellent continental breakfast. And my favorite? Iced water with orange slices when you step inside the door. Every single time.

Room Tip: Two queen beds suites are difficult to find in DC hotels. These are incredibly comfortable!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Hello Stephanie L,

Thank you for staying with us and for posting this wonderful review. Our team works really hard to ensure that our guests are well taken care of. So, we're ecstatic to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We really appreciate you sharing your experience with us and fellow travelers.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

This was my fourth trip to DC this year. It was my first time at the Capitol Hill Hotel but I definitely look forward to returning here. First, it is an excellent value. A larger than usual room (a suite with kitchenette--microwave and refrigerator) with appealing decor. Second, it is convenient. Just blocks from the Library of Congress, the Supreme Court and the Capitol. Also a short walk to a Metro stop. I walked to the Newseum. You could get around easily. Third, there's a nice breakfast offered daily. It's more than just a continental breakfast as there were cold cuts, yogurt and boiled eggs (and breads and pastries). Fourth, the staff is great! From the person who greets you at the door, to the front desk staff (Hichem was one name I got), to the breakfast room staff, to the housekeeping staff--this is a hotel where they know how to make guests feel appreciated. There's an inviting room off the lobby where coffee, tea and water are available 24/7. It's also a nice place to just sit and relax. I'm just sorry I didn't know about the Capitol Hill Hotel on my three prior visits. I can't wait to return. There is no restaurant onsite or room service but there are several restaurants very close by.

Room Tip: There are two buildings. Breakfast is served in the second building (not where the front desk is lo...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank AClarke625

Hello AClarke625,

Thank you for staying with us and for posting this fantastic review! It's great to read that you were well taken care of. Hichem does a great job and we're fortunate to have him. I also love reading that you enjoyed the hotel amenities. We try to provide a comfortable and engaging experience to each of our guests. I'm glad you're happy with your choice to stay here. We hope to have you back soon.

Reviewed 25 December 2013

This is my third stay here, and in some ways it is about the same, and in other ways it has gone down hill. Unfortunately, before, the whole staff seemed more than willing to be helpful, this time it was spotty. My room was musty and I was told they've "never had that problem, it was just the damp weather". But you could definitely smell it in the hallway. The beds were saggy, everything just had a tired feel to it. Maybe I am spoiled by full breakfasts at other hotels, but the overboiled eggs with cereal were not very appetizing and we skipped it after day one. The worst part was finding out at the end that the valet parking was $40 a night - almost a third of the price of the hotel, making it not a bargain at all. I asked about that when I saw it on my bill, and was given a "oh well, you should have been told" (I definitely was not)... and when I said I wouldn't be able to give a good review, she just smiled. So overall, yes, the location is great. The room is big, and has a kitchen. (The last rooms I stayed in were much nicer.) The staff was ok, but no one seemed very excited to be there or interested in helping much - at least behind the desk. The guys who got my car were very nice. I was told they are renovating the place, but until then, I would not stay there again. Very disappointing stay at a place I've thought of as "like home".

1  Thank RachelL58

Hello RachelL58,

Thank you for staying with us and for posting a review of your visit. I'm really sorry to hear that your stay fell short of your expectations. This is certainly not the kind of experience we strive to deliver to our guests. I'd love to hear more about it if you have a moment. In the meantime, I will review this with our Guest Services team to ensure that we do better moving forward. Thanks again for sharing your feedback. It's greatly appreciated.

Reviewed 24 December 2013

We came to Washington on a snowy Sunday for an ever at the Supreme Court. This location was excellent.We walked to the court, the mall and metro. Restaurants are within walking distance, some even opened Sunday. We were warmly welcomed but a friendly, helpful staff. Coffee and flavored water is available in the lobby if you don't want to use the kitchenette in the room. One cold day they even had hot chocolate. Wine hour in the lobby was a lovely touch. Breakfast in the next building was available every morning.
The hotel itself will be undergoing a needed renovation starting after Christmas so I won't comment on the bedding and room furniture which is being replaced. The rooms have some old features, pocket doors to the bathroom, which can be difficult. Wifi is sporadic. A word of warning, do NOT accept room 127. It is ground level with an active driveway . Garbage trucks, deliveries, cars and in our case salt spreaders pass the windows starting early in the morning.
valet parking is available for a price. AAA discount is the best way to go.

Room Tip: East building has the breakfast so you don't need to walk out to get it. Stay away from rooms on...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Hello Suziq614,

Thank you for taking a moment to post a review of your stay with us. I'm glad you had an enjoyable stay with us. It's great to hear that you liked the neighborhood. Capitol Hill is second to none. Also, thank you for mentioning that we're undergoing an exciting, very quiet, very strategically well-contained renovation. Our rooms will be brand new in a couple of months. I hope you have an excuse to come back soon. Thanks again for the review.

Reviewed 13 December 2013

I booked this hotel for a group of us who were traveling to DC for the Police Memorial Services. We were hosting an event next door at the American Legion Hall and this was the closest hotel to that venue. I am so happy I booked this wonderful facility! The staff were excellent throughout our stay. The lobby was comfortable and they always had fresh fruit-infused ice cold water and coffee and tea available. The rooms were great...clean, comfortable and updated. They have a small kitchen in each room which is great if you are travelling with children. The neighborhoods surrounding the hotel had plenty of places to grab a bite to eat and plenty of bars. The Metro is a block away and you are right next door to the Library of Congress and the Capitol. The workout center was clean and good sized. The breakfast was just right with plenty of fresh fruit available. I will definitely return!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Hello Hate2Pay4Parking,

Thank you for staying with us and for posting this awesome review. We appreciate your feedback and it's great to read that our location was convenient for you and that the room met your needs. But, it's always especially rewarding to share with the team the impact that they're genuine care has on the experiences of our guests. Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Thought location would be the greatest asset of staying here, but the staff are really terrific, pleasant, helpful and seemed to love having us.
The suites are very roomy and clean, with plenty of bureaus for unpacking your belongings. Beds were large and very comfortable. Free wi-fi was an asset. Quality of toiletries was a bonus. Love having a refrigerator for leftovers or cooled beverages. The lounge area was nice to sit quietly to relax after being on your feet a lot. Thanks for the hot tea, and citrus-infused water while we unwound. Refreshing.
Pennsylvania Ave. for touring and eating was roughly a 5 min. walk. Capitol and Library of Congress were next door.
The residential nature of the block was also attractive. We enjoyed the architecture while heading out to sightsee.
Continental breakfast was expansive and high quality. Hard boiled eggs, hot/cold cereals, yogurt, fruits, toast, sweets, coffee/tea/ and juices. Staff were very attentive to newly vacated tables and keeping the food area full. Everyone we interfaced with was friendly and helpful. Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: (Above---No pool that we knew of) .One BR suites are huge!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Hello Slainte2,

Thank you for staying with us and for posting this fantastic review! It's great to see so many guests comment that our service is overshadowing our fantastic location. I'm really glad you enjoyed our breakfast. I playfully commented in a response to a precious that we have to figure out a way to make our continental breakfast service less popular. But, it continues to draw a crowd every day. It's a great feeling for us to help our guests jump start each day free of charge. Thanks again for the review. We truly appreciate it.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

It's too hard to be less than fully enthusiastic, given the wonderful service, great and well-amenitied room, and spectacular location of the Capitol Hill Hotel. (Note, if you're car-bound, this may not be the hotel for you, for parking is sparce and DC parking monitors are notoriously tough).

We only booked one night, only a few day before your arrival. From arrival to departure, we were well-served by one of the best staffs on earth. Try it; you'll like it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Hello GoingtoSiestaKey,

Thank you for taking a moment to post this fantastic review! It's awesome to read that you loved your stay with us and that our team delivered such an amazing experience. We'd love to have you back when your travels bring you this way.

Thanks again,