“renovations create problems”

GreenLeadersBronze level
North Carolina
“renovations create problems”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We stayed at the Capitol Hill Hotel for three nights in February. The "suite" had one small bedside lamp so we had to ask for a desk lamp at the other end of the room and another for the side of the bed. The electrician gave us the "last lamps" in the hotel but could not replace the torn lamp shade of the one we had. The design of the room was such that the open doorway to the kitchenette allowed the light in that room to shine into the bedroom when one went into the bathroom as the bathroom light was on the same switch--a problem for anyone not wanting to awaken their partner who presumably is asleep. Presumably, because on the last day, the fire alarm was going off when we returned to our room about 4 and continued throughout the evening and into the middle of the night. The desk clerk first said we should leave, then we could stay, then later it was a "test" which was baloney since the renovations going on obviously created a problem. When we complained the next morning, so many people had fussed before us the clerk was ready to comp the parking fee of $44/night. The breakfast was okay, though you have to leave the building to go to one a half block away. This is the ONLY hotel near the Library of Congress and happily, close to great restaurants we found.

Room Tip: We did have a corner room on the top floor which was nice since it was quiet EXCEPT for the church a...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Karin1952
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Hello Karin1952,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing feedback about your visit. I’m really sorry that your stay wasn’t a better one. The new lamps have arrived and I’ll have a look at the light switch set up in the room to be sure that it makes sense. I’m also really sorry about the fire alarm issue. It’s good to read that our team was responsive and empathetic. Thanks again for your review. We hope you’ll give us another try on your next trip to Washington.

Donte

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Hebrew first
Johannesburg
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Hotel was friendly and welcoming from the check in to check out. Staff fabulous, location couldn't be better. Value for money. Super for kids as not far to walk to all the main attractions. Delicious breakfast suitably presented.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Hello Kathleen I,

Thank you for staying with us and for posting this awesome review. Our number one priority is taking great care of our guests. So I love reading that your stay was an enjoyable one. We appreciate the feedback and hope you can make it back again soon.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I recently stayed at the Capitol Hill Hotel. The entire staff was friendly and accommodating. One morning, I mentioned to Kendra at the front desk that I had been under the weather, she took care of me as quickly as possible. Staff frequently brought me sodas and ice while I spent the entire day unable to get out of bed. Because of the incredible personal service I received at the Capitol Hill Hotel, I will never stay anywhere else on my visits to DC and I will encourage my friends and associates to do the same.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Hello tiajuana,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post this awesome review! Although, I'm terribly sorry to hear that you weren't feeling well during your stay it's great to read that Kendra took good care of you. She's been providing excellent service since her first day with us. So, I can't say that I'm surprised, at all. I can't wait share your feedback with her. I know it'll make her day. Thanks again.

Trenton, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

It used to be the best place for clean, reasonably priced, easy, no frills with immediate access to congress. This place is busted now. Three room changes later (I have NEVER changed rooms before! But the smell of fresh paint and a burning heating element necessitated the changes), I am in a room with no heat/Ac, no working tv, no hot water in the shower in the morning, a sink and a shelf pulling off the wall and the flattest pillows known to man. The "fully equipped fitness room" is a drafty garage with incredibly low ceilings. The front desk acts like I am crazy and difficult. It costs way too much for poor quality. Ugh. Just ugh. I won't stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014
Hello kmonsters,

Thank you for staying with us and for posting this review. I'm really sorry that your stay was so chaotic. There were apparently multiple oversights on our part. In all honesty, it sounds like the room was not properly inspected after renovation. I've reviewed this with our team to ensure that we are scrutinizing our rooms more closely before selling them. I'd love to chat with you about our response while you were with us. How was it? Ultimately, I want to ensure that we addressed the issues appropriately. I can be reached at 202.448.2080 or donte.johnson@capitolhillhotel-dc.com. I'd love to hear from you.

Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

I am here on business and the hotel itself is pretty nice. Honestly it gives the impression that the owners bought it in pretty terrible shape and did a major rehab. The rooms are a good enough size, although it may be the smallest bathroom I have ever seen. The rooms and beds are also comfortable. I have stayed here twice now and I think that although the hotel is a good value there are a few things I dont love. I wish the AC worked better. I know its cold out but the sun heated my room to 77 degrees and the AC has been on for 3 hours and the thermostat hasnt budged. I can only sleep when its really cold so hopefully after sundown things get better.

Also I wish there was food onsite. You can get breakfast in the building next door in the AM. This building is also owned by the hotel, but I believe breakfast is just continental. After a long day at work I would like a restraunt on premises or at least room service. There isnt really anything too close to walk to. All in all its a pretty good place for a night but if I were staying longer I would go someplace with more to offer

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Hello Temple_Mike,

Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate you taking a moment to post a review of your stay, as well. I'm really sorry that we couldn't get your room to your desired temperature. Also, we have a great variety of room types and layouts. We can definitely ensure that we get you into a room when a larger bathroom on your next visit. You are not alone with regards to the restaurant. Oh how I wish we had one, too. The great thing is that a block or two away from us there's Pete's for a hot breakfast (ours is continental), Sonoma, Cafe Recess, Bernaise, Hawk and Dove, We The Pizza, Good Stuff Eatery, The Pour House, Firehook Bakery, Hunan Dynasty, Tune In, and even a Sweet Green. There are a few different options from casual to pretty fancy and a diverse array of cuisines. I hope you get to try some of these places out and more on your next trip to The Hill. We'd love another opportunity to blow you away here at the hotel, too!

Thanks again for the review.

Falls Church, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I stayed here a week and a half ago due to housing issues (no water or heat).

They gladly took my kitty (bring the litter) and provided a copy box for her. I checked in in the late afternoon and great location to Capitol Hill/Eastern Market area. The gentlemen at the front desk were quite charming (Fikris is a little flirt!). While I was waiting for check-in, the other tall gentlemen brought me a glass of wine (THANKS!).

The robes are wonderful. They do not charge extra for kitty. We both loved the luxurious beds.

Only aside is you have to go to the lobby for ice (they are under some sort of construction) and there was no silverware in the kitchenette.

Room Tip: I had one at the end of the hall and loved it!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Hello Donita H,

Thank you for taking a moment to post a review of your stay with us. We appreciate the feedback and it's great to read that your visit was an enjoyable one. I'm glad you and your kitty were welcomed warmly. It sounds like we could've been better prepared and I'll ensure that we are moving forward. Thanks again for the review. Hopefully we'll see you again soon.

Plymouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 February 2014

A Travelzoo offer to stay at this hotel was a great surprise we hope to take advantage of many more visits to come. The secret is the hotel's favorable location and its ammenities. Fabulous experience! Really appreciated the square footage and comfort.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter, sunny
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Hello Jeanne C,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking a moment to post a review here on Tripadvisor. It's great to read that you loved the location and amenities of the hotel and that you had a great experience with us overall. We appreciate you sharing your feedback and hope you make it back soon.