“Quaint & Sophisticated all rolled into one!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Capitol Hill Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Capitol Hill Hotel
Ranked #11 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
New Jersey
“Quaint & Sophisticated all rolled into one!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

We usually don't go anywhere with out our dogs. So when we found out this is a dog friendly hotel I jumped at the chance to make a family trip. While making the arrangements months in advance I had told the reservations department we had two large dogs. Both over 50lbs. This they said was not a problem. We were so excited. So the trip was planned. Well the night before I decided, since we were traveling quit a distance, to call and confirm. Well, what started out to be a simple trip almost turned bad! Not only did the front desk keep transferring me to someone else who would then transfer me back to the front desk, that person would then put me on hold. I had to keep hanging up and calling back. The not so nice front desk person on duty then informed me they only took one dog and it had to be 25lbs. So we could take the chance and come down if we wanted too! Well I had all my notes for the original confimation and I informed him we would be coming and they would honor this. Well of course I went on to work on a back of plan if we wound up with no place to stay. I had bought this deal thru TravelZoo and it could not be refunded or used at a different date so off we went. We had plans with family in the area and I was not about to disappoint my nephew, who had been waiting for weeks to see us! We drove down and along the way I figured I would give another try to speaking with someone else and this is where Hichem Aloulou comes in. He promised me he would see to our stay and we would have no trouble. I was the first to go in to the hotel. After the crazy mass confusion of the original reservations and phone calls the night before I was taking no chances. I was alittle unsure of the trustworthiness of this adventure with good cause. Well I was immediately greeted by Hichem Aloulou who knew who I was and he was so pleasant and professional. This whole stay was turned around by the wonderful Manager on Duty Hichem Aloulou. I went out and got my husband, daughter and the 2 dogs. They staff looked alittle unsure as to what was going on at first but then all was well. They warmed up to the dogs after seeing they really are just like little children. We had a wonderful stay and the room was perfect the way it was. All guests with dogs are required to stay on the first floor. These rooms are a one bedroom and a living room with a kitchen. Which by the way is equipped with a sink and dishes. Perfect for us since you have to stay with the dogs in the room we ordered from a local pizza place and had dinner in! They said they are doing renovations and upgrades but this was not a problem at all. Hichem went out of his way to make our stay so pleasant it actually felt as comfortable as being at home. Hichem even brought us up another lamp after I had mentioned I was having a hard time reading because the room was too dark. Everything from bones in the main entrance for the dogs, dog beds, water bowls for the dogs, games for the kids in the lobby toy chest, wine for the adults in the library, breakfast in the morning and an all around feel of sophistication but home town charm! The neighborhood is dog friendly which was great because it gave us a chance to go exploring and see all the history they have to offer. The rest of the staff was wonderful too! We will be back! Please give them a try they really are worth it!

Green Features: They do practice this with asking all guests to reuse towels and sheets
1 Thank Sue V
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Hello Sue V,

Thank you for posting this great review of your stay with us! I'm sorry about the confusion with the reservation. But, I'm glad we were able to turn it around. I'm not the least bit surprised that Hichem took great care of you. He does a fantastic job and we're fortunate to have him. I really appreciate your feedback and endorsement.

Donte Johnson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Hebrew first
nc
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

I chose the Capitol Hill Hotel because of its location. I have a family member who lives on the block and wanted to be close. There were no rooms available directly through the hotel but were two types of rooms available at an internet web site. I chose the more expensive room as I wanted more room for family members to congregate. I prepaid for the room for two nights. When I arrived at the hotel, they only had the smaller room available and would not refund my money for the difference I paid. I was livid and called the internet website I booked through and they said they would not refund my money. They said it was the hotel's problem and the front desk said it was the website's deal. After an hour of dealing with this, I gave up...the front desk said they would give me ten dollars worth of items from their gift shop for each day but I didn't even bother. The front desk clerk further told me that he had turned five others away who had booked through the same sight as they had overbooked the hotel...I guess that was a way to make me appreciate that at least I was able to stay in the hotel. He explained that from now on, if I wanted to stay there, I should book directly through the hotel to get what I want. Maddening, as I explained that there were no rooms available through the hotel when I made the reservation. On another note, we walked nearly everywhere we wanted to go...the hotel is right at the Capitol and we walked to all the monuments: we enjoy walking while in big cities so this was enjoyable for us but may be a hike for others. I loved the location near family, the farmer's market, the Capitol and even could walk back from RFK stadium from the race as the weather was gorgeous.
If it hadn't been for the reservation problem, I would be awarding this hotel five stars.

Room Tip: They are undergoing a renovation, ask for a recently renovated room
3 Thank buttercup16
Hello buttercup16,

Thank you for paying us a visit and for taking a moment to post a review of your experience. I'm really sorry to hear that there was so much confusion with your booking. Naturally, it's always a little easier to book directly with us. However, your experience should be free of worries regardless of how you make your reservation. I'm glad your stay was an enjoyable one overall. I'd love to hear from you the next time you come to Washington. I'll even personally ensure that everything goes well with your booking. Thanks again for the review.

Chandler, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

I admit I was on a mission to see what the true truth was about this place. Also, I got a smokin' deal from Travelzoo for a 1 night stay in a "deluxe suite", so I canceled my reservation at another hotel and took a chance. We arrived around 5ish and a very nice desk person checked us in. Our room 408 in the next building over was billed as a deluxe suite, but when we went it.....it creeped me out! I have tried to figure out exactly why and I think it boils down to poor lighting, too much space for minimal furnishings and icky carpet. It wasn't horrible...but I couldn't stay there. I went back to the desk and was shown 3 other rooms.....one with a strong paint smell, one that the lights didn't work at all and then I settled on the last one with 2 queens. We valeted the car for ~$40. They were very nice about letting us leave it there through the afternoon on the second day. Everyone was very nice. The bellman, night manager, etc. all were Very nice!!!! They are renovating the place. So, I think that if you can do a little scouting of the rooms like I did you will be o.k. They all have kitchens, microwaves etc. nice for families. The location is awesome. Good restaurants right around the corner, and close to the Capital and Mall. I think if they can keep the nice staff and keep upgrading the rooms this will be a great hotel. We missed the included breakfast, but people finishing up said it was fine. It is almost there.....just not quite.

Room Tip: Preview before you settle in on a room.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hello AZEDGIRL,

Thank you for staying with us and for posting a review of your stay. It's great to read that you were treated well by our team. But, I'm sorry to hear that you weren't happy with your initial room. Look out for great deals this summer. We're still in the same awesome neighborhood and we'd love to have you back!

Swansea, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

After traveling for 8 hours to get to DC, paying in advance, I get here at 6pm to be told the room with 2 queen beds won't be available for 40 minutes but they can put me in a room with a queen size bed and a sofa...I explained I paid for this in advance and I was told that is all that is available now...after I became upset about it and wanted to speak to a manager I was then told by the desk clerk that he would have to wheel and deal with housekeeping to see when I could get a room with 2 queen beds...and all of a sudden the room became available....the hotel: floors not vacuumed all the way from lobby to my room.....and the window in the room has a huge crack in it with a hole. Would never recommend this hotel!!

Room Tip: I wouldn't stay here again
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Doreen D
Hello Doreen D,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience. I agree that it's really not cool to get something other than what you paid for. We weren't initially able to hold up our end of the bargain and I'm terribly sorry about that. And although we made it a point to vacuum and clean constantly throughout the renovation there was some debris left behind as we were moving furniture in and out. We'd love to have you give the hotel another try. We're certainly capable of much better than this.

Cary, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

I am no hotel critic, but I have travelled enough in my life and have an eye for detail.

My first impression of The Capitol Hill Hotel is that it is a hotel undergoing a pretty extensive renovation while trying desperately to open its doors to generate a money flow to finance it. I stayed in the part that did not adjoin to the check-in area and exited back out to the street and down the sidewalk about 50 steps to its own separate entrance. This didn't bother me except that the construction workers were in and out so much that they left the key-only entrance wide open and it was still wide open when I came in after midnight. I immediately called the front desk when I got to my room and they said they would take care of it. There were some noises throughout the night that admittedly made me a bit jumpy, but traveling solo, this girl was not about to go check to see if the door was eventually closed. The next late night arrival, it was.

This particular section seems to have been an old apartment building with studio and 1-BR efficiences. I got in on a Groupon deal for a "1-BR Deluxe Suite" for a price very comparable to most promotional hotel rooms in DC, except I got a 1-BR studio apartment with amazing square footage for the money! When I opened the door, I was surprised to see a full LR and dinette and the faint smell of paint. It was very basically furnished with a couch and chair that were very firm to sit on, a small but appreciated coffee table, and a flat screen tv it took me a few minutes to realize had never been plugged in. The cord was still coiled in a twist tie that I removed. Off of the LR was a compact separate kitchen area with full-size refrigerator and mini 2-eye stove. There was a hard substance stuck to the granite countertops that I tried to scrub but to no avail. Must have been something they used in the renovation that needs to be addressed.

Across the LR were two doors. The one on the left was a small BR with a king size bed, full walk-in closet, and flat screen tv. It had a cloth/bamboo type curtain to keep light shining in and had a "black-out" shade when it was time for bed. Unfortunately there was a few inches difference between the top of the shade and the top of the window frame, so the very bright orange street light right outside was able to find its way in the room anyway. Oh well.

The room on the right was a small bathroom tastefully decorated with a modern sink that reminded me of the one I spit in at the dentist. Shower looked fine, but found out later that the water took a while to warm up and the shower did not drain as quickly as the water pressure delivered it. The hygiene products provided were surprisingly better than most of the 4-star hotels I usually stay in.

This particular room did not have a Do Not Disturb sign so that I could sleep in (housekeeping must have tried to get in but the old-fashioned slide kept them out as opposed to the deadbolt. It was also missing disposable plastic cups (although there were glasses in the kitchen and bathroom). There was also no clock, full length mirror, or paper towels/napkins.

All in all, I could still see that once the renovation has been completed and these details ironed out, this could be a great place to stay. It is located right behind the Library of Congress Madison building and surrounded by a beautiful Catholic Church and a nice neighborhood of brownstones. I just hope they don't run off too many people in the meantime! I would stay here again just to give it one more try for the right price after the dust settles, literally.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Race2Win
Hello Race2Win,

Thank you for staying with us and for posting one of the most detailed reviews I've seen in a long time. Although we were in full renovation mode, it appears that your stay was an enjoyable one and it's great to read that you'd would stay with us again. We'd love to have you, especially now that "the dust has settled." Thanks again for the review. We appreciate the feedback.

Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

I wouldn't recommend this hotel. It was one of the crappiest hotel that I have stayed so far. It had a weird smell as soon as the entrance door was opened as well as in the elevator. The staff were not at all welcoming. Then the rooms were small and had no curtains so it was tough to sleep in the night. The bathroom windows did not have any curtains or blinds either making showering at night and going to the bathroom an adventure. Last but not the least they did not have any continental breakfast by 8.15 AM. It was a total rip off not worth it. I was not at all satisfied.

Room Tip: Don't choose this hotel at the first place.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Hello John S.

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience. We certainly aspire to be much better than “the crappiest hotel.” Our team typically does a great job of making our guests feel welcomed. I have shared your feedback with them as a platform for us to continue to get better at connecting with each guest. All of our rooms have both sheers and blackout window treatments. It’s a very cool and pretty unique design. But, we’re going to add instructions to avoid confusion as to how they’re operated. The bathroom windows in each room are smoked for the privacy of our guests. This prevents anyone on the outside from seeing in. Thanks again for staying with us. I assure you we’re capable of providing an excellent experience and typically we do just that. We’d love to have another opportunity to do so for you.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Great location for walkable restaurants, near train and museums. Reasonably priced.

However, the hotel cites a recent complete renovation, really? The bathroom door was broken, beat up, wouldn't even close. Bathtub enamel chipped away, corners of rooms like the rest, look like they have not been attended to in 40 years.

The cleaning staff woke us up every half hour (husband ill, so he slept in) by entering our room over and over again. We dead bolted the door finally, not getting the hint; they kept pounding the door through where door caught on the lock. Geniuses.

Advertises free wifi, but not once did it work during our stay, kept getting error messages that it was unstable, slow or not available.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank MsfabulousNY
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Hello MsfabulousNY,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience. We were still in full renovation mode during your stay with us. In reviewing the photos attached to your post, it appears that we had not yet reached your room. We’re excited to be wrapping up the project. All of the tubs and bathroom doors were included in the scope of the renovation. You have my every assurance that they’re in much better shape now. I’m terribly sorry about the confusion with the room attendant on your floor. I’ve reviewed this with our housekeeping team to ensure that this does not happen moving forward. We’ll also look into your comment regarding WiFi. Sometimes the access points can get knocked around a little during projects like this causing some slight issues. They’re easy to repair. Thanks again for the feedback. We appreciate it.