“Great location, nice accomodations, small breakfast rooms.”
Review of Capitol Hill Hotel

Capitol Hill Hotel
Ranked #10 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
Rome, New York
“Great location, nice accomodations, small breakfast rooms.”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed here while in Washington DC for the Fourth of July celebrations. We chose this hotel because it was close to the National Mall and we could just walk to and from the celebrations without dealing with the mess on the Metro due to all of the people. We checked in without any problems and found a friendly, helpful staff at the front desk who promptly and efficiently checked us in. Our first impression was that this hotel was in a nice quiet neighborhood, was modern, and clean. We walked in and found our room to be equally as clean, well appointed, and well laid out. We liked that this hotel had higher end amenities that you don't see at other hotels, such as imported toiletries, bath robes, an in room safe, an umbrella for your use, a Keurig machine, and a set of ceramic plates, mugs, saucers, and real dinking glasses. The bathroom was large, clean, and had good hot water with good water pressure. The beds were very comfortable and supportive. We enjoyed our stay in our room through and through. The only minor complaint I have is that housekeeping left dirty drinking glasses and mugs in our room without replacing them when cleaning our room. Not a huge deal. The main issue we had was that the breakfast area, as it seems with all hotels in the summer, is too small. The breakfast area had a nice layout of food, salami, cheese, home made breads, cereals, bagels, fruit and yogurt, and coffee, teas, and juices. The staff did a good job laying out the food, refilling the food, and clearing dishes. The thing that really annoyed me about the breakfast area is other rude tourists. One family in particular was taking up a table for 8 people and were clearly done eating breakfast and chose to sit back for over a half an hour talking politics while they saw that other people hadn't even had a chance to eat and were patiently waiting for a table. I know it's not practical, but I wish staff would enforce a no camping policy. Eat and then have the class to get up and give your table to someone else. This is not the fault of the hotel, but it was still annoying just the same. The room temperature was also very warm in the breakfast area both days. I realize that there are a lot of people in a small room and that there are toasters at work, but it didn't feel as though the AC was on at all in the dining rooms. We didn't use the valet parking system so I can't comment about this. Overall, I would stay here again. After all it is summer vacation in a big city, crowds are going to be inevitable.

3 Thank Brian C
Jennifer G, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thanks for the great review! I'm so glad that you enjoyed your time with us. We are working to change our breakfast offering a bit to better accommodate our guests, so on your next visit, hopefully you can add a more relaxing breakfast experience to your list of things you loved! Thanks again for taking the time out to detail your time on the Hill!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Hebrew first
Manizales, Colombia
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

In few words: its closeness with Capitol Hill and the major sites in DC, makes worthwhile to withstand the rudeness of front desk personel.
They inform that rooms will be ready as of 15:00, but actually we got our room only at 16:30!
Desk clerk was unapologetic....
Room itself was good, but far from a true " boutique" hotel, as they portray themselves. Would look for another alternatives if we were to visit again DC.

Stayed July 2014
Jennifer G, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you for leaving your comments about your recent stay with us. I'm so sorry to hear that the agent you spoke with was rude, and I will definitely address this with my team. Waiting for a room is bad enough, but to deliver the message with an attitude is simply unforgivable! I'm glad that you enjoyed our neighborhood and I do hope that if your travels bring you back to DC, that you'll email me directly to give us a chance to change your mind about Capitol Hill Hotel! My email is jennifer.goodman@capitolhillhotel-dc.com. I look forward to hearing any other feedback about the hotel that you may have and, hopefully, welcoming you back to a much kinder and gentler Capitol Hill Hotel!! Thanks again for your review.
South Africa
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We spent 2 nights at the Capitol Hill Hotel in July 2014. We arrived very early and was given a room immediately. Check-in was quick as we had prepaid.

The room was spacious and clean with two double beds, a small kitchenette and a bathroom. The air conditioner worked well, bathrobes were provided and although the bathroom was small, the shower was wonderful. An in-room laptop safe was also provided. A small coffee machine was provided in the kitchenette, there was also a microwave available. The artwork in the room was a bit non-sensical, but the bedding and curtains were black and white and pleasant to look at. The television worked well. There was also a desk and chair provided in the room.

There are two lifts in the hotel and they are old, small and slow. During busy periods one may wait slightly longer for the lifts to come.

We had booked the room through Travel Pony which had offered a significant discount on the room due to us making a first booking with them. Although it had been advertised as room only, we received complimentary continental breakfasts during our stay. The breakfast was served in the second building of the hotel. The breakfast was lovely, but the breakfast room was small and filled up quickly in the mornings. The hotel also offers free iced water, coffee and tea in the library during the day.

We struggled a bit with using the wi-fi in the room, but found it much easier in the lobby, library and breakfast room.

The location of the hotel is excellent with the Capitol South metro located within 200 metres from the hotel. The library of Congress, Capitol Building and other sights are within walking distance from the hotel. We were there for the 4th of July celebrations and found the location excellent for attending the free concern at the Capitol Building and for viewing the fireworks in the National Mall. There are several shops and restaurants located in the area around the hotel.

Check-out was quick and efficient and luggage storage is provided. We found the staff very friendly and accommodating.

Room Tip: We had a room facing the church opposite the hotel, but I am sure there are hotel rooms with a view...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sabihah M
This is a great review, thank so much! We're so glad that your stay with us was just as it should be with every guest, smooth and "worth it!" :) We appreciate the time it takes to write a review, and we know the value that a good (or bad) review gives our hotel, so thank you being an awesome ambassador for Capitol Hill Hotel. We'll see you again soon!!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I went in early morning to drop off a gift for my parents. Lobby looked shabby and the smell was horrid---as if no one took a shower for several days. Then I went back in the evening, the lobby smelled like train lavatory. It was so bad. Went up to my parents' room and was shocked to see how shabby the furniture was and it also had garbage dump smell. My parents couldn't stand the filth and this was their 3rd room after they requested to change due to uncleanness. Their original room wasn't cleaned yet and they checked in at 5p. Finally they decided to check out and checked into Park Hyatt in Georgetown because many hotels were booked. MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT after reading the glowing reviews and with its awesome proximity to metro and major museums. Service was not up to par and just in general, I advise travelers to look elsewhere, please.

1 Thank HamiltonMI
This is absolutely disappointing, and a little shocking, from start to finish. I have forwarded this review to my entire team for immediate action and can assure you that we have addressed completely any sign or semblance of the odors that you describe in your review, both in public spaces and in guest rooms. We take these comments very seriously and the entire team is committed to eliminating any conditions that could be construed as "filthy" or even, quite frankly, anything less than sparkling clean. Thank you for taking your time to leave the comments regarding your experience. I can assure you that this is not our norm, and I'm very sorry that you had to experience such a thing.
Beckley, West Virginia
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Beware of this establishment! Check your credit card for "fraudulent" charges. We did not receive the "suites" we paid for, did not have enough beds in the rooms as promised, and the elevator stopped working in between floors with students on it! What should have been an exciting field trip for my 5th grade students ended up being a nightmare for me! Don't bother trying to get an explanation out of the management for the questionable charges that appear on your credit card because they have no clue what they are doing. We will NEVER stay here again!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tamber H
This does sound like a truly bad experience. I can only imagine that if everything goes perfectly, traveling with a group of students can be stressful, not to mention dealing with the things that you mention in your review. I am so sorry that things went so terribly wrong during your stay with us. I would be more than happy to assist in looking into any charges on your credit card that you have any questions about, whatsoever. I am new to the property, but have access to any and all information that we might need in order to provide explanation for anything that you do not recognize. The last thing that we want is for a bad experience to continue to get worse by lingering questions or unresolved issues. Please do contact me at jennifer.goodman@capitolhillhotel-dc.com so that we can get to the bottom of this situation. I appreciate the opportunity to address this for you.
Australia
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed here last September and despite a few little hiccups we would stay here again. The location is sensational for Capitol Hill and the Library of Congress - my two favourite buildings in Washington DC.
The room was large, had a kitchenette, small bathroom and comfortable beds.
The staff were incredible in their friendly welcome and their willingness to help us have a comfortable stay. We did change rooms once, as wifi was temperamental and there was an odd smell. There were also a couple of occasions where our key card wouldn't work, which locked us out of the building.
No matter what happened the staff were apologetic and rushed around to ensure issues were dealt with quickly, as was the manager Donte, who was very supportive and quick to rectify any problems.
Breakfast by American standards was quite good and plentiful. Fresh water, tea and coffee are available around the clock.
I definnitely recommend this place and look forward to staying here again on my next visit to DC.
A huge thank you to Donte and the staff who are a credit to this hotel, as they made the experience worthwhile.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for leaving your thoughts on your recent stay. We will aim to have NO hiccups on your next visit to DC! :) I will pass your comments along to the team and I know they'll appreciate the kind words. See you next time!
Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We booked this hotel for the Fourth of July. Our reservation was fully paid for several weeks before our arrival date. When we tried to check in they said they were "over-booked!!" and sent us, to a "nearby" hotel which turned out to be a very yucky hotel in a very much less than desirable neighborhood. We were so upset but all we got from the front desk at the Capitol Hill Hotel was "we understand your frustration" but we have no inventory. Talk about ruining a trip! We were so disturbed by the hotel they sent us to that we checked out the afternoon.....not willing to spend the night there!. It seems to me if they had truly made a mistake and taken our money unaware that they would be unable to fulfill our reservation, then the RIGHT thing to do would have been to send us to an "upgrade", not a lesser property. BEWARE! It is a shame that on America's birthday, in the Capitol of the free world, that we were treated so poorly.

4 Thank K K
Thank you for leaving your thoughts on your recent attempted stay at Capitol Hill Hotel. I am so sorry for the booking error that impacted your weekend and I assure you, we would much rather have had you stay with us! If you will be returning to the area, and would be willing to give us a chance to turn your impression around, please reach out to me directly at jennifer.goodman@capitolhillhotel-dc.com. I would be more than happy to handle all of your arrangements personally and make sure that you experience the hotel as you should have on the weekend of the 4th. My sincerest apologies to you and your family and I do hope that we are able to make this right for you.