“Friendly Staff at a Great Location”
Review of Capitol Hill Hotel

Capitol Hill Hotel
Ranked #9 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This is a great location, being just a couple blocks from the Capitol. It has a few perks that many other hotels in the vicinity, including a fridge, microwave, and continental breakfast. There isn't much to the breakfast, but you will be happy you don't have to pay extra for it. The breakfast room is located in the second building. So if you are in the first building, you might want to bring an umbrella, just in case.
The room is clean and the bed is comfortable. They provide soft and firm pillows, so you can pick to your preference. However, the furniture in the living area is pretty hard and uncomfortable. And it had the smallest coffee table I have ever seen.
The front desk staff was super nice and helpful!

1  Thank Lenn B
Jennifer G, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Thanks for your review! I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. You will be happy to know that we are working on changing the sofas to make them a little more comfortable, so please do plan to return to see the changes! The small coffee tables may stay, but don't they make a great conversation piece? ;) Thanks for the overall great review. Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 31 July 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Capitol Hill Hotel. The hotel is in a lovely neighborhood and was easy to get to the Metro. There were activities you could walk to- Capitol Building, Library of Congress, & Union Station are where we walked. I enjoyed that it wasn't located in a really touristy area. The hotel offered a continental breakfast and has on site parking. The Front Desk staff were very pleasant and offered recommendations for places to eat/drink.

There were a couple of things I just want to mention to anyone wanting to stay there. The hotel ran out of parking (valet), so I ended up parking at Union Station. You can park on the street, but it has time restrictions (2 hours Monday-Friday or Saturday). Union Station's parking was cheaper than the Valet at the hotel. We didn't mind walking the 6 blocks after unloading at the hotel. The other is check-in. The hotel has 2 buildings. The front desk is in the building at the corner of C and 2nd Streets.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank KrisT77
Jennifer G, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

So glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! All of our hotels in the Independent Collection are situated in really unique and fun neighborhoods, and we pride ourselves on making our guests feel like locals! I am sorry that we ran out of parking, and I do appreciate your willingness to enjoy the walk from Union Station. :) We try to have enough spaces for everyone, of course, but there are occasions that we are full. Next time you are coming to visit us, just email me and I'll make sure to hold onto a spot, just for you, as thanks for being so understanding!! jennifer.goodman@capitolhillhotel-dc.com Thanks again!

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a week and I have to say, the location is second to none. It is close to cafes, the Capitol Building (obviously!) and the metro. The breakfast and flat-screen TVs are great! In other areas, the hotel has a lot to work through and I am confident that those aspects will improve very soon. Should the shortcomings improve, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Hi, and thank you for your very fair review! We do have tons of potential and assure you that we will not only live up to that potential, but exceed your expectations on your next visit. Please do contact me directly to book, I would love to assist you personally in a return visit! Just email me at jennifer.goodman@capitolhillhotel-dc.com. See you soon!

Reviewed 27 July 2014

My family and I were very pleased with our stay at the Capitol Hill Hotel. I research before I booked it and everything was great. Then, I looked at the reviews right before we went and was so apprehensive about staying here. Everyone who worked here was very nice, courteous and helpful. We had two rooms and both were very clean. The beds and pillows were very comfortable. The breakfast was great. Everyone got what they wanted. I am not sure why people were not pleased. The location was perfect. We were very close to everything on Capitol Hill and the Smithsonians. There was a metro stop a few blocks away. The neighborhood is great for walking and looking at architecture. On the block is a Starbucks and across the street is Spike Mendelsohn's restaurants, Good Stuff Eatery (fabulous hamburgers) and We the Pizza and many more restaurants. It is a boutique hotel that was built a long time ago. I definitely would recommend this place to friends and stay here again.

1  Thank aprilaurora
Jennifer G, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

This is an absolutely wonderful review. Thank you for giving us the opportunity despite your apprehension. We are so thrilled that you were pleased and can't wait to welcome you back! Thanks again.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

The Capitol Hill Hotel met every need I had for my week of training at the Library of Congress. The staff were amazingly courteous and quickly solved any little problem (ice maker) without fuss. I had a delicious breakfast each day of my stay and was quickly on my way to the LOC 1/2 block away. Breakfast was a choice of cereal, meats, cheeses, sweet rolls, hard boiled eggs, fruit and more which I had everyday. There were hundreds of great restaurants close by and I made use of them! The highlight of each evening was the 5 to 6 pm "free wine bar" that was available in the lobby to guests. My group and I met there each night and bonded instantly which made the whole week go swimmingly both in and out of classes. I was housed in the annex and often stayed up talking in the lobby until after 11 at night. I was never worried about my 1/2 block walk to the door as there were bellmen around all the time watching and who knew our names by day two. My room was huge as I was supposed to travel with a colleague who had to cancel. There was a refrigerator, stove, microwave, toaster etc. There were two closets one a walk-in, and the bathroom amenities were from L'Occitane en Provence. Delightful! The room was clean and cleaned everyday. I had a view of the alley but that was the worst thing about the stay. The staff service is the calling card of this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

This review made my day, thank you so much! We are so glad that you enjoyed your time with us and we hope to see you next time you come into town. Truly, thanks for taking the time to review the hotel. :)

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I just got home from staying here for almost a week. There are things to like about this hotel and much to dislike.

Pros: Centrally located about 2 blocks away from the Capitol building and Supreme Court, with easy access to Metro (1 block away) to get to most other parts of town with ease. Staff was very polite and helpful. Hotel appears to have been an old apartment complex or older hotel that was renovated into a suites style hotel. My room came complete with a small stove top, full size fridge and kitchen with some plates, utensils and other kitchen amenities like a coffee maker. The gym was decent. There is on-site coin operated laundry and they do include a free continental breakfast each morning and wine reception each evening.

Con: That is about were the good stops and the "it's just okay" begins.
1.) My room had one mirror, about a 9x12 size in the bathroom, that was it. May seem silly, but I have never been to a hotel that does not have more than 1 mirror in the entire room. My room was for the most part clean and maintained, however the tub was rusting and the tub was also flaking off the bottom (room 304).

2.) The breakfast, while nice to have, is such a disaster. The room they host this in is way too small for the amount of guests who use this area, with the tables very clumsy laid out with no room to move. We had a baby with us in a stroller and was near impossible for us to walk in and sit inside. The room is not well ventilated and they need to adjust the air temperature to be cooler. This room should be at least double the size it is for the amount of people all trying to cram inside. The food selection was fine, just the room itself way to small and crowded.

3.) There is NO parking at this hotel. Maybe a total of 10 valet spots (@ $44 a day!) which is just crazy. My company paid for my car parking, but after 3 days I returned the rental and just used the metro to save on parking it here. Plus with typically only 1 person working as concierge, getting your car will take a while.

4.) The hotel is split into two buildings, I was staying in the second one. Which is fine if the weather is nice, but when it rains, which it did, made this comical as they had to hand out umbrellas to get between buildings without getting soaked as there is no way to get from one building to the next without walking outside. Seems to me a poor after thought on this.

There are other things I could nitpick at, but these are just a few of the more major issues I'd want to share. With the exception of the price, I would probably not stay at this location again in the future. It has potential though.

Fix the creaking floor, rusted bath tub in room 304 for starters, add at least one full length mirror in each room. Change how you do the breakfast. My suggestion would be to open up the other room you have down in the same area for seating as well, or move the breakfast items themselves out of the room that everyone sits in to the lobby area where you keep the coffee and tea to make it not be so crazy. Either that or speak with the owner to find a new space or renovate the existing one if this is a selling point of the hotel.

3  Thank Srudowitz
Jennifer G, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Thank you for your review. I think you'll be happy to hear that we have already begun to work on some of your suggestions, and we will be making more changes in the weeks to come. We have contractors onsite for the next couple of days installing full length mirrors in all of our guest rooms. We are adding some equipment to our gym to provide more options for our guests who are more serious about fitness and we are also working on some ideas to create a better flow for the breakfast, including changing an adjacent meeting space into more seating. The tub in your room is part of a resurfacing project that will begin in mid-August, so we can expect a brand new finish for all of the tubs by Labor Day. Finally, we are adding an umbrella for our guests to use during their stay to every guest room, whether just to go to breakfast or to go all around town. We think these changes, plus many more that are in the works, will greatly enhance our guests' experience with us and elevate us beyond just ok....we hope so anyway! Please email me directly (jennifer.goodman@capitolhillhotel-dc.com) the next time you are coming into town and I will be happy to handle your booking personally. I am very excited about the new Capitol Hill Hotel that will begin to emerge in the coming days, and I hope that you decide to come and experience the change for yourself! Thanks again for leaving such a well-thought out review. Feedback is what keeps us improving, and this review is truly invaluable to our efforts.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed here while in Washington DC for the Fourth of July celebrations. We chose this hotel because it was close to the National Mall and we could just walk to and from the celebrations without dealing with the mess on the Metro due to all of the people. We checked in without any problems and found a friendly, helpful staff at the front desk who promptly and efficiently checked us in. Our first impression was that this hotel was in a nice quiet neighborhood, was modern, and clean. We walked in and found our room to be equally as clean, well appointed, and well laid out. We liked that this hotel had higher end amenities that you don't see at other hotels, such as imported toiletries, bath robes, an in room safe, an umbrella for your use, a Keurig machine, and a set of ceramic plates, mugs, saucers, and real dinking glasses. The bathroom was large, clean, and had good hot water with good water pressure. The beds were very comfortable and supportive. We enjoyed our stay in our room through and through. The only minor complaint I have is that housekeeping left dirty drinking glasses and mugs in our room without replacing them when cleaning our room. Not a huge deal. The main issue we had was that the breakfast area, as it seems with all hotels in the summer, is too small. The breakfast area had a nice layout of food, salami, cheese, home made breads, cereals, bagels, fruit and yogurt, and coffee, teas, and juices. The staff did a good job laying out the food, refilling the food, and clearing dishes. The thing that really annoyed me about the breakfast area is other rude tourists. One family in particular was taking up a table for 8 people and were clearly done eating breakfast and chose to sit back for over a half an hour talking politics while they saw that other people hadn't even had a chance to eat and were patiently waiting for a table. I know it's not practical, but I wish staff would enforce a no camping policy. Eat and then have the class to get up and give your table to someone else. This is not the fault of the hotel, but it was still annoying just the same. The room temperature was also very warm in the breakfast area both days. I realize that there are a lot of people in a small room and that there are toasters at work, but it didn't feel as though the AC was on at all in the dining rooms. We didn't use the valet parking system so I can't comment about this. Overall, I would stay here again. After all it is summer vacation in a big city, crowds are going to be inevitable.

3  Thank Brian C
Jennifer G, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thanks for the great review! I'm so glad that you enjoyed your time with us. We are working to change our breakfast offering a bit to better accommodate our guests, so on your next visit, hopefully you can add a more relaxing breakfast experience to your list of things you loved! Thanks again for taking the time out to detail your time on the Hill!