“Amazing value, location, comfort, quiet”

Courtyard Washington, DC/Dupont Circle
Ranked #96 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Durham, North Carolina
“Amazing value, location, comfort, quiet”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

How is it that a lot of the most expensive hotels ALSO charge for EVERYTHING - like printing a few pages of a document, not to mention 12-25$ per day for internet. Then there's this Courtyard - free internet, no hassle, no charge for casual printing (8 pages, but they didn't really ask), and a large, comfortable, quiet, clean room. In fact, my room is right next to the elevator and I started to ask for a change just on principle - but 3 nights into my stay and no problem with noise. The hotel location is great - it is directly across the street but from the D.C. Hilton. There are tons of restaurants up the street. Anyway, I am a fan.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

A short walk from DuPont Circle's bars. Clean and quiet room. Very nice staff at front desk. Recommend valet park your car and walk - take taxi to get around. Parking in DC is frightfully expensive. The pool looked nice (but it's winter so it was closed). Looked forward to staying here again.

• Stayed December 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 6 March 2014

If you're looking for a reliable hotel in walking distance to Dupont Circle and the Metro, this is a great hotel. It's an affordable, clean place to stay and has recently seen some upgrades that make the rooms and dining area feel fresh. Great for business travelers in particular.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I actually stayed at this hotel almost 7 years ago and reviewed it as "Average." I wasn't eager to give it another try but a short-notice business trip forced me here, as none of my other choices in the area were available.

I would now drop it down to somewhere between Poor and Average.

First of all, this is not a business class hotel. At all. The lobby is small and has the feel of a small town Radisson. It doesn't look like a business class hotel; doesn't have a business class hotel ambience. You wouldn't want to hold a meeting here.

The elevators (and there are only two) are extremely slow - especially around check-in times, when housekeeping is active, and around check-out times. In other words, a lot. I waiting about 5 minutes for an elevator at check-in. Doesn't sound like much but when you are eager to get settled in your room, it's a long time. It's also annoying to have the maids using the same elevators, navigating around you with their carts.

Another slow thing...the internet at this hotel. They told me at checkin that there is free wifi and no password is needed. Well, I learned why. It's horrible. I could not be productive online because the speed was too slow and unstable to work with my VPN. Even normal surfing was slow. In this day and age, any place purporting to be a 3-star hotel or better must have fast, reliable internet.

The hotel bills itslef as being the "Courtyard Dupont Circle." Okay...I noted this when I stayed here in 2007....this isn't exactly Dupont Circle. It's way up Connecticut Ave. on the hill, in the direction of the Adams Morgan neighborhood. You could almost call it the Courtyard Adams Morgan. If you have business in the area of the Mall or any government buildings south of K Street, you are definitely not in walking range. Dupont Circle is about 1/2 mile south; figure a 10 minute walk. If it's really cold or really hot (distinct possibilities in DC), it's a bit more than a short walk. There are a couple of restaurants very close but for a bigger selection you will need to walk 10-15 minutes north or south.

Another issue for me was that my room had a smell similar to smoke that had been covered up with Febreeze. Again...not good and just another irritant for someone on a busy trip that wants a reliable, business class experience.

Bathroom: tiny, with tiny sink basin. Don't stay here if you are a couple or family!

So as to not sound completely negative, my room on the 8th floor had a decent view south. The hotel was fairly quiet, and the person at check-in was pleasant.

They did put flat screen TV's in the rooms, an upgrade from 2007!

I had hoped the place would have upgraded in other ways, but that wasn't the case. I would definitely not stay here again. Too many far better choices in the same price range.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank ATLDawg
Donavon M, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/Dupont Circle, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear ATLDawg,

I wanted to personally thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us regarding your recent stay at our Courtyard Washington DC/Dupont Circle. Your feedback is invaluable to us as we strive to ensure that we are providing a flawless and memorable stay.

I do apologize for the problem you experienced with the internet. As a part of our newly renovated package we are in the process of upgrading our internet service.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance.

Best regards,

Donavon McDaniel
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I wasn't expecting much being a Courtyard but they have just completely renovated the entire hotel. It's very nice! We were in town for a convention at the Hilton across the street. This was half the price and the hilton was a 1 minute walk. I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Third floor is completely redone. There was a checklist on our door from the construction crew accid...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank parrishtr
brooklyn, ny
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We recently stayed at the hotel for a volleyball tournament. The hotel has been newly renovated and everything seems fresh. It is centrally located and within walking distance to a wide range of restaurants and the ever important Rite-Aid. The Bistro in the lobby is great for breakfast, lunch, coffee or after dinner snacks. It is spacious and comfortable with regular tables, high tables and couches. The fitness center located off the lobby has the requisite cardio machines, weights, TVs, towels, is opened 24 hours and is clean and airy. There is on-sight valet parking and a most accommodating staff who helped to arranged taxis, food deliveries and restaurant recommendations. The hotel lobby also has a several couches and desks with computers. We have stayed in several hotels around DC this past year due to college visits and honestly, this was one of the best especially when we were out for most of the day. The Marriott Courtyard was almost the next best thing to going home. The lobby was a great meeting place for my daughter’s team. The girls could sit in the Bistro and watch TV while eating and since the hotel is medium-sized, the parents felt comfortable knowing that they were safe.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank lsmbklyn
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 11 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night on our way through. We arrived to find that the front drive was closed for construction and the small parking area they had full. We circled the block and I ran in to see where to park. Instead of making me drive around again, the valet and bellhop came out to where I was and carried in my bags and took my car. I was so thankful to not have to try to drive out into the afternoon traffic again.

The hotel was under renovation at this time, but I didn't hear anything while there. The room we had was renovated, and while it was small, it was almost perfect. The new furnishings were very nice, the bed comfortable, and even the view was ok. There were 2 problems with this room that could easily be fixed. First, there is no full length mirror in this room. Second, the bathroom has poor lighting for make-up that could be fixed by adding a light over the mirror or a lighted swing-out makeup mirror.

The location is fantastic. There are many great restaurants to walk to and the metro is nearby to take you where ever you want to go.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Donavon M, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/Dupont Circle, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your stay. I certainly appreciate your kind comments regarding our valet and bell staff during your check in process. I know that the driveway closure caused some inconvenience but I am pleased to know that our staff was able to alleviate some of the confusion. I was also very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your newly renovated room. As you pointed out the room was missing a full length mirror and a lighted bathroom mirror, both which have now arrived and have been installed in all of the rooms. I do hope that if your travels bring you back to DC in the near future, you will choose to stay with us so that you may experience our fully renovated hotel from driveway to guestroom finishes. We look forward to having you back.
Donavon McDaniel