“The Hotel with bad attitude”
Review of The Dupont Circle

The Dupont Circle
Ranked #33 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
London, United Kingdom
“The Hotel with bad attitude”
Reviewed 29 March 2011

I did stay at this Hotel two years ago, but things have gone downhill since.
On checking in at the Hotel I was advised by an african american receptionist that my reservation had been cancelled by Bookking.com,
She was not interested in finding out any further information, only after I proved to the Duty Mnager that the reservation was still live in the Booking.com system they agreed to re-instated it.
I have to say that the receptionist, with bad customer service attitude offered to give me a room, but at a much higher rate.
I was allocated room 420, this overlooks Dupont Circle and is above the bar, albeit it is 3 floors above it, you can still hear alot of noise.
On my last day I wanted to pay for late check out, but before I could ask for it I was rudly interrupted by the person I called in guest services, only after I pointed out that I was going to pay a half day charge she put me through the reception.
The maid did not respect the DND sign at the door and came in the room, asking me when I was checking out, clearly reception did not inform her that the room was a late departure.
The concierge guys have little or no knowledge of the local area, I asked where O street was and they did not know, this street is actually 5 minutes walk away.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (655)
  • Hebrew first
Tulsa, OK
Reviewed 23 March 2011

I stayed at this Doyle Collection hotel for 4 nights in September. I was traveling alone and attending a conference. The front desk personnel could not have been more helpful as I arrived without a few necessities. They knew my name each time I stopped by after my registration and were so helpful when I set out on my own to explore. Of particular note for my compliments is Lashawnda at the front desk - she was so nice and I told her I wanted to compliment her - hope later is better than never.

Although the room was small it was very nicely appointed and had everything I needed. The bed was particularly comfortable. I loved the munchies in the bar - it's a happening place !

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Coral Gables, Florida
Reviewed 20 March 2011

We stayed at the Dupont Hotel from Thursday through Sunday. The rooms were small, but very modern. We were close to everything in DC and no matter what direction we walked in from the hotel, we were near something. But the best thing about our stay was the incredible service we received from "Cole", the front-desk person who checked us in. She was exceptionally professional and made sure all of our needs were met. We had a problem with our room and she took care of us immediately, with a smiling face and a genuine interest in helping us. She made it a pleasure to stay at the Dupont Hotel and she would be the reason we will return to visit our son in Washington.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
NY
Reviewed 20 March 2011

We booked 2 rooms (one for my husband and I and one for my parents). We've been to DC a number of times but because my parents who are sr citizens were visiting too, we wanted a comfortable hotel in a good neighborhood and this hotel certainly delivered.

We tried to check in early at 2pm but we could only get 1 room. However at 3pm, they got us 2 rooms on a higher floor so we appreciated that.

PROS
Location - right on Dupont Circle, near the RedLine subway, restaurants, good neighborhood. relatively easy access even to Georgetown by catching D2 or D6 bus on Q St.
Free wifi
24 hr gym
Nice rooms, modern decor, liked the wooden shutter window blinds. Iphone/ipod station.
Free water bottles (replenished each day) - we really appreciated this convenience after a long trip and after a full day's walk in the Smithsonian museums. There is a CVS nearby and of course Starbucks but it's something you'll appreciate when you don't have to worry about being charged 10bucks for something so essential as a bottle of fresh water.

CONS
Super NOISY if you stay on 19th Street side from the hotel bar on the ground floor. It was probably the loudest hotel room I've ever been in! My parents stayed on the New Hampshire Ave side which was more quiet. Make sure to ask for rooms on that side if you want to get some quiet sleep esp on a weekend!
Bathroom only has showers - not a huge issue for us but some ppl prefer tubs.

I had read the reviews about the bathroom - and lack of privacy. We didn't have any concerns and felt it was private enough with the frosted doors but also can see it can be a bit uncomfortable if you're not a couple.
Also other reviews on the NY Times said that they provide Kiehl's amenities but they had Aromatherapy goods when we stayed - if you are into quality of amenity goods. Also they didn't give us replacement soap/shampoo on our second day/night..

The hotel's restaurant Cafe Dupont was pretty good -and reasonably priced. We enjoyed breakfast/brunch there both days.

Overall, we were very pleased with our stay - and the convenience of the location. The upgrade they made certainly has paid off!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank myxz
Manvel, Texas
Reviewed 19 March 2011

Got this hotel for well below the advertised price..so I was excited.

Location: Right next to the Dupont Metro Station (Red Line). Lots of restaurants within walking distance. No complaints about that

Service: Professional and courteous.

Room: We requested double beds and got a room on the 3rd floor. There wasn't a lot of space to put our luggage. Between the two beds, computer table, couch and our belongings..we barely managed to walk around the room without running into each other. Definitely not spacious.

But that aside..main complaint. IT WAS HOT/STUFFY in the room. I didn't sleep both of the nights. I called the first night and they came and said everything is ok. Day 2 I told them in the morning and same result. I won't return here for this reason alone.

At least the bed was comfortable.

Bathroom: What a horrible...HORRIBLE design. No door to the main entrance to the bathroom. So good luck trying to change with a roommate. No lock on the toilet/shower area. Just a glass door. Then the toilet/shower is seperated by a glass pane..well half of it! So when you shower, the entire toilet area is flooded. What idiot thought this was a good idea?

Pros:
Location
Free WiFi

Cons:
Horrible Bathroom
Crammed Room
Temperature!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 March 2011

My husband and I flew into DC for three nights to see the monuments and visit the amazing museums. We chose the Dupont Hotel because we wanted to be close to all of the attractions, but in a more "neighborhoody" area. The Dupont was great - the staff was extrememly friendly and professional, the room was very nice, modern and clean, and we had free wireless internet in the room. Just a block from the Metro, there were also tons of great bars and restaurants within easy walking distance. Definitely would recommend this hotel!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 1 March 2011

My boyfriend and I arrived at the Dupont February 18-21. We were greeted with warm hand towels after a long day of traveling which I loved.

After a long day of traveling we were able to grab a drink at the lobby bar. This bar was great and full of people! Very entraining. GREAT FOOD AND LOCATION. Right near the M station!

Rooms: They were very nice, and beds were SO comfortable. The bathrooms were very big and spacious. The room was also very clean.

Service: Service was exceptional. They were always calling and making sure we got everything we wanted. We ordered room service one morning, and they were on time and made sure we were 100 percent satisfied. We also had asked for a wine bottle opener, and it was up to our room within minutes.

I LOVED the Dupont. Its a very nice hotel, very comfortable, with great staff and service !
STAY HERE!