“Exceptional Staff”
Review of The Dupont Circle

The Dupont Circle
Ranked #22 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 14 April 2011

I was most impressed with the hotel's staff, especially Cole, who worked the registration desk. She went out of her way to ensure we had everything we needed. Not only was she friendly, but she remembered my name and greeted me every time she saw me coming and going. When I return to DC, I will definitely check if rooms are available here first.

Room Tip: Ask to speak to Cole
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Klb7388
Write a ReviewReviews (3,424)

Reviewed 13 April 2011

This hotel - and the woman who runs this small hotel group - need to do a better study of what experienced business travelers expect and need. And it begins with a front desk staff that knows how to make decisions on the spot to satisfy a guest, especially one that picks an upper room class and is tired, doesn't expect to wait over 3 hours for their room to be ready, and is rapidly losing patience for all the excuses. Simply put, I gave this hotel a chance since I typically stay at the St Regis, the W or sometimes Donovan House when in DC. It was definitely my first and last time at this hotel, as well as the group of hotels for that matter. I spend upwards of 60 nights a year in hotels and these hotels will not be among them. The air conditioning in the room did not work. The bathroom floor was dirty and stained. The room service ends early at 10:30pm and is not 24 hours. There is no cash machine on premises. The only redeeming quality is the free wifi. And that isn't saying much since you can get that in many places nowadays. I was completely unimpressed. the hotel web site sells this as a classier nicer hotel than it is in person. It is showing wear and tear on furniture and walls and window coverings. I would not recommend this to a business or leisure traveler. The price for the room and service does not equate.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank NYCworldtraveler2
GMDupont, Director of Operations at The Dupont Circle, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2011

Dear ccgworldtraveler,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay here at The Dupont Circle Hotel. I would like to apologize as this is not typical of our guests’ experience. Please if you could contact me at your convenience as I would like to discuss your stay further.

Marco Burlimann
Director of Operations

Reviewed 12 April 2011

Nice hotel, if a bit too modern for my liking, but will someone please tell me who planned the bedrooms? I think they measured wrong when ordering the beds. Our room had two queen beds in and barely enough space to squeeze through from the door area to the main part of the room; I am not joking. You certainly could not wheel a suitcase through the gap, and even me being a fairly slim person had to turn sideways to fit between the wall and the bed! I have no idea how larger people would cope!
Apart from that, clean facilities, good service, great view and I would stay again (in a larger room!) Oh, and it is quite noisy; mostly street noise! Breakfast was good.

Room Tip: A room you can get into without climbing the bed!
  • Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2011

The location was the best thing about this hotel and its convenient access to the Metro. The rooms were nice but small. We had no problem with the service or valet parking. We really missed having a coffee maker in the room and a real refrigerator instead of the refrigerated vending machine. The free wi-fi was a huge disappointment in that it was throttled back to an unusable level. We could only view a few internet pages before being locked out so planning the next day's activities with online sources was very difficult. Would recommend the hotel but only if you are prepared to do without useful wi fi.

Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank DCtouristUsa
Reviewed 5 April 2011

I've been coming to DC on business recently and usually got booked at the Faimont, which I found didn't live up to its 5 stars. I asked my company to put me somewhere else, we gave this a try and this was my best stay in DC yet. Here's why: room design was really thoughtful, no wasted space, everything just where you need and wanted it. Full length mirror in the optimal location. Great bed, lots of pillows and high end sheets. Huge bath sheet towels instead of standard towels. Tiny halogen pinpoint spotlights on adjustable arms on either side of the bed, in addition to the standard bedside lamp, perfect for focused reading light. Swivel lounge chair instead of the usual bulky one. Great working desk with all the plugs in front of you on the wall, and great desk chair. Heated floor in the bathroom--boy was that good on my tired feet. Amazing bathroom, floor to ceiling marble with high end Hansgrohe fixtures (I'm redoing my bathroom at home so I notice things like that.) Coffee in the lobby in the morning. Lobby a design joy, amazing bar and restaurant with outside tables for nice weather. Amazing location with a park across the street, the Metro and lots of shopping. Staff was so helpful, really service oriented and friendly. Free bottled water in your room. I will keep coming back here.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
GMDupont, General Manager at The Dupont Circle, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2011

Dear NYMaple,
Many thanks for writing about The Dupont Circle Hotel.
I am delighted you loved the room, the huge towels, the great working space at your desk and recognized some of the very exclusive details such as the heated floors and the beautiful Hansgrohe fixtures.
We are also very proud of our Bar and Restaurant and really appreciate the many comments which we see more and more about the great atmosphere, the outside dining and the great food and drinks our colleagues prepare.
I hope to meet you on your next visit.
Scott Dawson.

Reviewed 3 April 2011

The hotel is in a great location, with a good bar downstairs, which is really convenient. I would recommend visiting the bar and staying elsewhere. There is a great brunch, but again just come for brunch. You don't need to book a room here.
I have never had such a horrible night's sleep in my life. I guess the building is old, but the interior has been modernized and updated. Well, they forgot to sound-proof anything. The windows are single-paned glass and you can hear EVERYTHING outside. Garbage trucks backing up all morning and picking up garbage, delivery trucks, every single beeping from every single truck. Add to that the regular outside noises...well you try and sleep. In addition, you could hear all the hallway noise and noise from other rooms as well.
Also, there were no curtains- just shutters. They looked nice, but let in SO much light. On top of all the noise, the light from outside just ruined it for me. No sleep at all. I would have far rather had curtains. Maybe heavy curtains would have helped with outside noise too.
And the bathrooms! Gah! I'm sure it was some sort of clever, funky interior designer's dream, but how impractical! There is NO wall to the bathroom. The sink area is completely open to the room. And the 'door' to the shower and toilet is just a frosted glass panel. There is NO privacy whatsoever. Fine if you are alone, not so great if you are traveling with other people. The bathroom was truly awful.
The only good things about the hotel were the nice big towels and the abundance of pillows on the bed. I used all of them tossing and turning all night.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 March 2011

I stayed here last year for a business meeting. We did it again this year, but I wish we had not. I just don't like this hotel. I've given it two chances, even though I sort of knew better after last year. All of the stuff I am going to complain about is stuff that should not be allowed to happen, period. That is does is very troubling.

Last year I wrote about a few significant annoyances, including that the bathroom is in the bedroom and the toilet is in the shower. This year's review will unfortunately be worse, for other reasons.

I booked a king room well in advance, and the hotel confirmed a king room in writing. When I arrived, however, I was told that there was no king room available and, furthermore, that the hotel apparently had chosen to ignore my request because I was part of a group. What? Who confirms a reservation in writing and then, without any notice, ignores it? And what does being in a group have to do with it anyway? Do they think that people in a group deserve second class treatment? I hope not, but I think so.

Although the clerk insisted that there were absolutely no king rooms available, she nevertheless managed to find one after I demanded to see a manager. The clerk went in back and then returned, without a manager, to say that she had a king room after all. I hate this game-playing stuff and will not patronize hotels that engage in it. It should not happen. There is no excuse. Honor your confirmations, and don't confirm what you don't have.

I won the room battle but ultimately lost the war. I even wonder if it was purposeful? I was assigned room #225, which I would find out later is directly over the bar -- you know, the bar with loud music well into the wee hours. Great. And because the hotel was "fully committed," I could not be moved to another room. How in the world can a hotel that charges a lot of money rent a room like this to anyone, under any circumstances? People sleep in hotel rooms. They can't do that when the music one floor below is blaring. When I complained at checkout, the clerk nodded in a way that conveyed that she'd heard this complaint before. But does anyone in charge do anything about it? No. I'm sure there is some other unsuspecting soul in #225 right now. People should at least be warned and given a chance to refuse the room.

Another problem: The desk chair in the room was obviously broken. They repaired or replaced it immediately after I reported it. I just wonder why no one saw it before I reported it?

Some minor annoyances: There is no coffeemaker in the room and the bath soap is liquid. They used to have nice Kiehl's products, but those are no more. Now there is some unnamed cheap crap.

As I said last year, and as other reviewers have repeatedly pointed out, the rooms are small and poorly designed. A toilet in the shower? Really? I've thought about this some. I think they tried to make older, smaller bathrooms bigger and nicer without any structural changes. Well, they are bigger but not nicer. Don't stay in a room here with anyone you don't know really well.

Now for the good things. It won't take long. As I said last year, the conference services, including the meals and snacks, are handled well. The hotel's location is great. The place is clean. The beds are comfy, but that doesn't mean much if it is too noisy to sleep.

There are plenty of other, better hotels nearby. I should have stayed at one of them. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank 0567cg

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of The Dupont Circle Hotel. Clearly I am very disappointed that for the second time we failed to match your expectations, certainly not our goal or what we habitually do.
I would like to address some of the points you raised in order for other travellers who may read your post to get a second perspective.
Firstly, I am sorry that the bed type you had reserved was not initially available for you upon arrival. We do confirm, in writing the type of room reserved and we do make every effort to make sure every customer gets their confirmed bed type. There are however many variables in the lead up to a guest stay which might make it impossible for us to be able to honor the guests request. In your particular case we gave you the room 225 because you insisted upon a King bed and this room had initially been blocked to not be sold due to the noise issue from the terrace.
It is accurate that we use liquid soaps in our shower areas. As you know, we are very lucky to have the finest Arabascata marble throughout our showers and bar soap is not recommended for use with such marble. As for our other bath products which you clearly thought were of inferior quality and low cost, I must correct you. The Aromatherapy brand is used in some of the most famous and renowned Spa's and Hotels in the world and costs the same as the Kiehl's products it replaced. We can now offer a consistent product throughout our collection of hotels.
Thank you for acknoweldging the aspects of our operation which you enjoyed and again, I am sorry we failed to retain you as a loyal customer.