“Perfect spot to stay in DC”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Dupont Circle

The Dupont Circle
Ranked #35 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Hinesburg, Vermont
“Perfect spot to stay in DC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2012

I once lived in DC and now come back for work mostly. I've stayed at this hotel 3 times now and it is such a beautiful place. THe rooms have been lovely, with beautiful views of Dupont Circle. It is so luxurious. And the staff are very helpful. It is in a great location too, right near the Dupont Circle Metro and lots of restaurants and shops.

Hotel M, Manager at The Dupont Circle, responded to this review, 8 January 2013
Thank you for a terrific review! We are elated to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (645)
  • Hebrew first
Santa Monica, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2012

This is a superb urban hotel in a great location. The hotel is service oriented and the experience with staff was excellent and professional. Staff would practically run to open a door for me. The hotel is stylish and very clean. I would say the rooms are a bit small. I have stayed in room with 2 full size beds. That could be cramped for 2 people (maybe) but it was fine for me. They have single king size bed rooms but I arrived at 9AM and they accommodated my early arrival by offering what they had. I was pleased at being accommodated! There is a popular and well stocked bar and restaurant. The bar was very convenient for get togethers. They are 1 easy block to the subway. I would encourage price shopping -- they do utilize some of the discount sites and offer great value that way.

1 Thank Jeffrey G
Hotel M, Manager at The Dupont Circle, responded to this review, 8 January 2013
Thank you for a fantastic review! We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and thank you for your loyalty! It is our prerogative to ensure that every guest has a memorable stay like you did. We hope to see you at the Dupont Circle Hotel or Bar Dupont very soon!
Ithaca, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2012

I stayed at the Dupont for two nights early in Dec and 2102. As a world traveler, I am accustomed to the tradeoff there often seems to exist between the quality of the facilities on the one hand, and the surliness of staff and predatory prices for minor services (luggage, parking, coffee, extras..) on the other hand. Given DHC's location and its amenities, I was bracing myself for a stodgy service experience. I was wrong. From the receptionist (a warm young woman with a creative hairdo when I checked in, and an equally warm one when I checked out) to the concierge, parking valet, and kitchen staff, everyone was EXCEPTIONALLY pleasant. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I did not do any room comparison
1 Thank Parfait E
Hotel M, Manager at The Dupont Circle, responded to this review, 17 December 2012
Thank you for a fantastic review! We are elated to hear how much you enjoyed your stay, and time at the Dupont Circle Hotel. We truly appreciate the time you took to provide your comments and feedback. We hope that you'll join us again upon your return to the DC area. We look forward to seeing you soon!
TAICHUNG
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2012

There were no problems at all with my two night stay at this hotel. The check in and check out staff were exceptionally firendly, the room was comfortable, well appointed and quiet.

The hotel is very convenient for the Washington Metro and also not too far on foot from the tourist attractions. The immediate area has a selection of restaurants.

My only comment is that, in the room I had, TV is wall mounted and cannot be moved, making it impossible to view it from the bed. Not a big issue! I would return there again on future vists to DC.

Room Tip: As with other hotels, avoid rooms which are too close to elevators.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your review! We apologize for any inconveniences you encountered during you stay or with the set up of your room. We hope to see you again soon at the Dupont Circle Hotel or the Bar Dupont. We look forward to your return!
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2012

We stayed at the Dupont Circle Hotel in late October. The location was convenient to the lively Dupont Circle area. Lobby was open and aerie. It took 20 minutes to get valet service for our car. The check in staff were somewhat friendly but were not informative about where things were in the hotel and its services.
When I got to the "superior" room, I was horribly disappointed. The room was apparently too small to even fit a dresser (i.e., there wasn't a single useful drawer anywhere). The amoire could only store items length of a shirt - long jackets or dresses end up needing to be folded to fit. There wasn't shower curtain or a locking door to the bathroom. When you shower, the entire bathroom floor gets wet - so you may have to change outside the bathroom. Note they do not provide robes!
The windows only have shutters, so if you need a dark room to sleep - this becomes a problem. The hotel DOES provide eye shades as an amenity, but I found they are both uncomfortable and become displaced while sleeping. I had marginal sleep for three nights because of this.
On the second night (Friday), the liveliness of the bar and streets wafted into the lobby. When I walked through the lobby after returning from dinner, I had a horrifying experience. A woman was drunk and passed out on one of the ottoman's in the lobby - and she wasn't alone as many drunk people were also staggering about trying to get into the elevator (I emphasize trying - they literally fell into the elevator). This is definitely not a place I would take my grandchildren!
As I waited for the next elevator, a man approached me asking if I wanted to buy some drugs. Horrified, I declined and immediately went to one of the hotel's security staff. The guard shrugged and said there wasn't much he could do. I said I understood that they can't control what someone says, but they can kick people out - and then they reiterated that there wasn't anything that they could do.
Later that and the following nights, I was frequently awoken by noise in the halls. The adult activities of two (or more) neighbors could be heard through the paper-thin walls. Furthermore, their door opened and closed every half hour or so - it was almost like there were streams of people going in and out. I was too afraid to investigate, but it was like an "escort" service was running there.
The last day, as I was checking out, one of my small bags was taken. After acting a little helpful including giving me the phone number to the police, they more or less said it wasn't their fault and I needed to watch my own stuff- which I agree with. But they wouldn't let myself or the police review the lobby videos to identify a suspect thief. In the end, a thief acquired some of my dirty laundry, a coffee card, some toiletries and my nice bag (wallet was in my hands) - so I wasn't going to fuss more with it beyond a police report.
I stay in DC about once a month and this was my first visit to the Dupont Circle Hotel. In the future, I'll stick with my reliable locations: St. Regis, JW Marriott, Willard, and Ritz Carlton. The service, cleanliness, and security is signifcantly better at those locations.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank AbelTasmen
Hotel M, Manager at The Dupont Circle, responded to this review, 8 January 2013
Thank you for your review. We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences or issues you encountered during your stay. The safety of our guests is our number one priority. We take great pride in offering our guests a comfortable and safe place to stay when they are far from home. We are looking further into this incident, and would like any more insights you can offer. Please contact the hotel directly to discuss the situations with a manager. Rest assured this is a rare occurance, and strays far from the norm at the Dupont Circle Hotel. We hope to remedy your experiences, and make up for these challenges. We hope that you’ll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return!
South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2012

I stayed ar the Jury's in Boston a few years ago and I loved this hotel. I chose the Dupont Circle Hotel based on the fact that it is part of the Jury's group and my experience in Boston. The room cleanliness was very pleasing and although there are some minor inconveniences I want management to know that what sealed the deal for me was the superb service and friendliness of the staff. This is unlike anything that I have experienced in the US or Europe - India being the exception. I entered my room and although the room was nice I hated the unpleasant view of some rusting rooftops (not sure what part of the hotel that was). I was just about to pick up the phone when it rang. It was the manager asking about my room and after I explained she said that she would give me the requested street view. I said that I would be down in a bit and she said: "No need, we'll send the key up to you." Reception staff walked up and down the reception area and lounge asking if they could assist; the manager greeted me in the lift and seemed to patrol the floor area constantly; restaurant staff went out of their way to accommodate me and my guests. The complimentary apple cider and cookies were delicious. Based on the level of service which surpasses a lot of the 'fake' friendliness in five star hotels, I will keep coming back and the location can't be beat. Keep this up and you've got a winner. I wish that I can remember the names of the ladies who did my check-in and check-out. One was Jenny, I think. SUPER service and genuine good wishes for the 18-hr flight ahead of me.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Thank you for your review! The Dupont Circle is proudly part of the Doyle Collection. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and time in DC. We can assure you are team will certainly be recognized for their efforts in creating a memorable stay for you. We hope that you'll join us again in the Cafe Dupont or Bar Dupont. We look forward to your return, and we hope to see you again soon!
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2012

Super convenient location, nice renovated room, friendly staff. Even had free holiday cookies in lobby each afternoon. Lots of shops and restaurants in neighborhood. Short metro ride to all the downtown attractions.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for a fantastic review! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and time in Dupont Circle. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return!