“This hotel overbooked and made no effort to tell me they cancelled my room.”
Review of The Dupont Circle

The Dupont Circle
Ranked #28 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
New York City, New York
“This hotel overbooked and made no effort to tell me they cancelled my room.”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I travel to DC on business every other month. My normal hotel was booked, I stayed at Dupont Circle earlier this week (that stay was fine).

Last night I showed up at 9:30 PM exhausted off a long train, having booked my room a month in advance, and was told they had no room for me and they had rebooked me at another hotel (not of my choosing). No one notified me at any time the month prior to allow me to book a hotel I would have preferred. No one told me about the upcoming problem when I stayed at the hotel two days before!

The hotel they rebooked me at put me in a room the size of a closet, off an airshaft, with a tiny window, and is a hotel I never would have booked. No light. No possibility of an upgrade, even if I paid for it, since it was done at the last second.

This ruined my trip for me, I am pretty angry. I don't see how I could possibly justify trying to book this hotel again if they don't monitor their bookings to ensure they can keep up with what they are selling.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
8 Thank Lisa K
Hotel M, Manager at The Dupont Circle, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Lisa, we truly apologize for the frustrating experience you recently had at our hotel especially following a good stay with us prior. We do understand your concerns and want to be able to restore your favorable opinion about our hotel. We will be reaching out to you directly to further communicate about this matter.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (669)
  • Hebrew first
Florida
Reviewed 18 June 2014

There are many hotels in Washington ... Chains like Hilton or Marriott, or individual ones like the Melrose, or very formal like the Mayflower to the casual like Holiday Express. Some are on major streets, some are on quiet streets or side streets. ... resting one's head for the evening is a personal choice.
We have come to enjoy staying at the DuPont Circle Hotel after going through the many places as just described. Right on the circle, neighborhood oriented, resturants galore, Metro nearby, taxis outside, doormen, concierge, cafe, bar, formal resturant, conference rooms, business center ... all there for you to use.
There are apx 8 floors, apx 30 rooms on a floor. The rooms are modern, which we like .... the bathroom & shower are opaque glass & tile .... amenities are excellent (you'll enjoy the bath gel & shampoo), they're clean & well cared for. Mini bar if you want it. A/C is ok, bed mattress & linen ok. Towels long and absorbent.
True from other TripAdv reviews that the elevators are open to non-patrons; this is something we've noticed as it is in other hotels, but we have not had any issues whatsoever! BUT this is a very open hotel so be aware !
We have had breafast in the Atrium, very good, quality ingredients, & not overpriced to other places nearby. Lunch at the bay window overlookingthe circle, by the bar, was excellent, as were the drinks we had outside (weather permitted). Service attentive but remember to ask for your bill.
Staff very friendly & always asking to assist. Rates vary & Fri thru Sun are very reasonable but weekdays are business rates (expensive).
Sightsee, sleep, business ... enjoy.

Room Tip: Inner rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Hotel M, Manager at The Dupont Circle, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank you for your kind and well thought out review. It's great to hear that you enjoy so many of our hotel's amenities and you got to experience dining with us as well. We appreciate you taking the time to review us and we appreciate you being a guest of our hotel. We hope you have future travel plans to D.C. and will consider staying with us for a return visit.
New York
Reviewed 18 June 2014

The hotel was very easy to get to from the main train station. I stayed here for 3 days and let coming back "home" here after a long day. They have a wonderful bar and great food if you're too tired to go out. Or it's a great place to start the evening. The breakfast is also delicious. The front desk was very nice, the concierge was outstanding and the bar staff was basically average. If you travel a lot you can really appreciate a comfortable bed and pillows and this hotel definitely had that and also very nice sheets. It's right next to Subway stations but if you don't mind walking it is certainly easy enough to walk to most of the attractions. There is also a Spotcycle station very close by so that you can take a bike and ride to wherever you want to go and drop it off there. Washington DC is very bike friendly. The concierge recommended an Ethiopian restaurant while I was there that was fantastic. It was my 1st time having Ethiopian food and it was fun and delicious.

Room Tip: It is basically quite at night but I think it's always a good idea task for a quiet room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotel M, Manager at The Dupont Circle, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank you kindly for your wonderful review. We are happy you decided to stay in our Dupont Circle neighborhood and that our staff could make some good recommendations for you to explore the area. It's great you had a chance to experience dining at our hotel as well. We hope you will be visiting us again in the future. We thank you for being a guest.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed for a short 4-day trip to D.C. This hotel has just been thru a complete renovation, yet keeps its 1940's modern exterior. The rooms are first class, well equipped, and very comfortable. The bathrooms even have heated floors & 2-stage showers.

The cost of the rooms was less than we expected for what we got, a great place & central location to all of D.C.

But the highest praise goes to all the employees-particularly Cole, Miaya, and Gregg (doorman extrordinare.) This was the best ever customer service experienced! They went out of their way to show us rooms, provide requests, everything. When we upgraded to a 9th floor suite-Cole & Miaya took us up and made sure we knew of the room and top floor party room included amenities. My friends from town were also amazed, and said they wanted to stay and bring their friends. We will be booking our suite early for 2015 and the pride parade-and we look forward to coming back. This staff goes many extra miles to make you welcome and happy! Great Job!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotel M, Manager at The Dupont Circle, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Christopher, we appreciate your warmhearted review. It sounds like you had a fantastic stay and we truly thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are happy you had a chance to experience our Level Nine amenities and we look forward to your 2015 stay. Additionally, we value your compliments to our staff as we always want our guests to feel welcome, comfortable and well taken care throughout their entire stay. Thank you again for such a kind review and we will see you again soon.
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed here when the conference hotel up the street was sold out. Glad I ended up here as my stay was great. Rooms are very clean, modern and spacious; hotel bar is a busy place to unwind/socialize after the long day; the staff were top notch. I actually got quite ill on this trip with an awful stomach bug and the staff were so accommodating and kind. Allowed me to check out very late and checked in on me regularly. I was impressed! Location wise, it's a little out of the way from the standard tourist sights but I enjoyed that - great, safe neighbourhood with lots of restaurants and pubs nearby.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Smallsails
Hotel M, Manager at The Dupont Circle, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your review. We are glad you ended up here for your conference stay, too and that you enjoyed your stay. We hope you have the opportunity to visit us again on any future trips to D.C.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

It depends on agency rates as to whether I can stay in this hotel when on business in DC, but I am pleased to find I've been booked in.
Usual efficient service, excellent menu choices, spotless well serviced room. Free wifi. Close to metro.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank mozzyfood
Hotel M, Manager at The Dupont Circle, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
We're always pleased whenever you have a chance to stay with us while in D.C. We appreciate your sharing your experience with us and for highlighting your favorite parts of our hotel. Your feedback is valuable to us and we hope you will be visiting us again soon.
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I'm so glad we chose this hotel, quiet yet clsoe to the metro stops. Also the bus to Georgetown also makes a stop at the Dupont Circle area so that was one of the advantages. At night there are so many restaurants in the area to choose from,which was one of the factors we use to pick a hotel; and the area is very safe. My kids (all grown up) loved Kramerbooks, right across the street , for the bookstore and the excellent cuisine! It stays open till midnight or past midnight on some days! We didn't feel it would be wise to stay near a museum or monument, because normally at night, these areas are quiet, so we did the educational part of touring, museums, etc. during the day. except for the fact that our room wasn't ready on time upon check-in, plus there was an additional delay due to some faulty electrical fixture, this was an excellent choice for DC!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Charivill
Hotel M, Manager at The Dupont Circle, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
We are pleased you and your family chose to stay with us during your visit to D.C. We thank you for sharing your experience with us and we are happy that you had a nice time exploring some of the gems of our Dupont Circle neighborhood, in addition to some of the best D.C. sights. We hope you will consider another stay at our hotel next time your travels bring you to D.C.