“Perfectly placed, and wonderful Staff”

University Inn Washington DC
Ranked #52 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Chicago, Illinois
“Perfectly placed, and wonderful Staff”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

What a pleasure to be in this great city but it was made even more pleasant by the experience of staying at the George Washington University Inn. It is close to Foggy Bottom Metro, and Whole Foods as well as Trader Joe's. With the kitchenette, you can make your stay more scheduled to your personal time line.
The Staff are so accommodating and personable, always holding the doors an pointing you in the right direction in the city that is built on a hub.
I am a walker and I found it invigorating to walk everywhere….so excursions to the various museums that are part of the Smithsonian, or the Kennedy Center (very close) or to the White House were great adventures.
(I saw 'Bo' and 'Sunny' being walked on the White House grounds and asked the gentleman if he had to 'scoop their poop' and he flatly said, 'Of course…')
But, the one problem was how dry the hotel rooms became, which we solved by putting wet towels on the heating units. it was a solution that Pavarotti said that he would use when he was touring from hotel room to hotel room and he needed to keep his 'pipes' in perfect condition!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Catherine Y
Jared B, Front Office Manager at University Inn Washington DC, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear Catherine Y,

I am very grateful you took the time to review our hotel! Also thank you for such an outstanding one, I am very glad to see you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope to see you back again in the future!

Secondly, thank you for expressing your concern about the room being dry. I have communicated this concern with all of the staff and our engineering department will certainly develop a resolution to this.

For your return to DC, please feel free to contact me direct to handle your accommodations!

I look forward to welcoming you back,

jbairstow@modushotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Los Gatos, California
Reviewed 25 December 2013

We just returned from a five night stay at the GWU Inn. The room was spacious (1 bedroom suite with kitchen), clean and well equipped. The location was perfect, close to the Metro and Whole Foods and many restaurants (Bayou!). The price was very reasonable. The highlight, however, is the staff. They were all very pleasant and helpful. Brian, in particular, went out of his way to help us find our way, pick a restaurant, lend us an umbrella and refrigerate over groceries while we went out. Thanks for a home away from home GWU Inn.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christine D
Dear Christine D,

I can speak for the entire staff here at the GWU Inn when I say we are more than happy to be your home away from home!! We strive to make all of our guests' feel exactly how you did! We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

See you soon,

Virginia
Reviewed 17 December 2013

The George Washington Inn was a huge surprise! Being new to the Foggy Bottom, D.C. area, I was unfamiliar with the hotels there. I took a chance and am glad I did. The staff is amazing; very pleasant and customer service friendly. The accommodations are fantastic; comfortable and clean. The location, around the block from George Washington University Hospital and the Metro, couldn't be better. Can't wait to return; it's my new regular place to stay when in D.C.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Jared B, Front Office Manager at University Inn Washington DC, responded to this review, 22 December 2013
Dear Mp9b,

I am so excited to hear that you will be staying with us regularly when traveling to DC! Since it was your first stay with us, we only just got to know you! The next time you are traveling to DC, please contact me if you have the time, so I can handle your accommodations. Thank you for the wonderful review! We are all very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

I hope to see you in the near future!

Thanks again,

Reviewed 17 December 2013

Just came back from a weekend in DC and stayed at this lovely boutique hotel. Great location, practically on campus. Rooms were clean, service was great! Steven at the desk was especially helpful. The most impressive thing about our stay was the Manager, Sarah Conigliaro. When there was an issue with the breakfast we had already purchased vouchers for, she sprang in to action, single handedly setting up the entire breakfast, serving our beverages and clearing our plates. She turned a potential negative experience in to a winning one. A+ for customer service and service recovery!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel!!

I, personally am very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay. I can speak for the entire team when I say, we welcome you back anytime! Sarah and Steven were very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I have shared your positive feedback with them.

Again, we welcome you back to the George Washington University Inn anytime! Please feel free to contact me for your future stay and I will make sure to personally set up your accommodations!

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 16 December 2013

You cannot beat this small boutique inn for location and value. In the heart of historic Foggy Bottom, the Inn is close to Georgetown and many of the most visited tourist sites. This property is not for those who prefer a Hampton or Marriott experience. Rooms are small, but nicely appointed and many have efficiencies. The staff is exceptional and rooms are quiet and very clean. If you have a student at GWU or someone being treated at the GWU hospital, this is an ideal location. Great price point! Oh, and it is a short walk to the Metro. And, there is valet parking (albeit limited). The area feels safe for walking as well.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Liltjl,

Thank you for the great review! As you may have noticed, it is our pleasure to have you stay with us. I am very happy to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for making our other TripAdvisor readers aware of our amenities and location. If you have any requests for your future stay with us again, please contact me directly and I will be more than happy to personally handle your accommodations!

Thank you again for your review!

jbairstow@modushotels.com

PS: Do not forget to contact our reservations department to hear about our GW promotions and discounts!
Washington D.c.
Reviewed 6 December 2013

The first time we stayed in this hotel we were in a room that had a kitchenette. The room was very spacious and nicely done and clean. This next time we expected a kitchenette based on the third party room description from the on line reservation company. The room assigned us did not have the kitchenette. When we remarked on this with the reservation clerk at the hotel he was very willing to change us. We like this hotel because of its location to the hospital and public transportation. The staff is very professional and the beds are comfortable. We will have no problem rebooking at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Virginia B,

Thank you very much for your review! I am pleased to hear that you enjoy staying with us as much as we love having you! Now that we know you prefer a kitchenette in your room, we will assign that to your profile. Next time you stay with us, we will make sure to provide you with your favorite type of room! Also please feel free to contact me directly if you should have any further requests on your next visit. I hope to see you in the future!

Thanks again,

Harwinton, Connecticut
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I think the GWU Inn was the subject of my very first TripAdvisor Review in 2011. My wife and I were back for five nights over Thanksgiving and, once again, we had an excellent experience. This is not a fancy, big name hotel with a sprawling lobby. In fact, the reception area is small enough that the person at the front desk will warmly acknowledge you each time you come or go. During our 2011 visit and again this time, we found the prices at the GWU Inn beyond reasonable--and all the more so this time as we got a complimentary upgrade to a small suite. If I had to find a fault, I'd say some of the carpeting and furniture here is about due for replacement, but that's not to say that there's anything shabby about the place--there's not. And the most important thing about any hotel room--the bed--was exceptionally comfortable. (My wife, usually a restless sleeper, enjoyed the luxury of sleeping through the night.) Since our son lives only a block and a half away, the location of the GWU Inn is particularly convenient. It's also an easy walk from the Foggy Bottom metro station. Our thanks to Nadia (who checked us in and out) for her helpfulness and to the rest of the friendly staff at the GWU Inn. We'll be back!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JimP_CT
Jared B, Front Office Manager at University Inn Washington DC, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Thank you so much for your review!

On behalf of the entire team here, I can say it was our pleasure to welcome you back. We hope to do so again in the near future. Nadia was more than happy to be able to assist you. We look forward to your return to DC.