“Service Comes First”

University Inn Washington DC
Ranked #59 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The outstanding attribute of the GWU Inn is the quality of their staff and service. I've traveled extensively on business and pleasure and often have pretty good experiences with hotel staffs. But, this was different. From the front door, to the desk, to the room and floor attendants, they all just seemed to enjoy their jobs. If there was anyway to help you, they did it. They made it personal! This hotel has great location just off the GW campus and a very easy walk from the Foggy Bottom Metro stop. If you're a runner as I am, then head out the door toward the river and in minutes, you're at the C & O Canal path which is a real treat. There is also the Mall run which covers the sights. My room was very nice, spacious and with outstanding Wifi. I also had a view of the river but that's just the room that I had. The rug needs replacement but that's the only negative and that's minor. It's a good value for the price I paid which was OK for this part of D.C. By the way, the restaurant is nice with, of course, good service. I'll stay here again in August for Freshman move in and probably several more times a year. However, you don't need a student at GW to enjoy the GWU Inn and all that D.C. has to offer.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Fasteddie100
Jared B, Front Office Manager at University Inn Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind review. We are all thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us!

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

A great place for a weekend visit. Location is great. It's in the middle if foggy bottom. So there's many things to do in walking distance. The service is great. The room I had was perfect. I had had a 1 bedroom with a kitchen. I loved it. I didn't eat to leave. There's not much of view from my room window bit it didn't bother me. I definitely recommend this place if ever visiting D.C. they have a valet service and taxis come to hotel if you don't want walk around or have somewhere to go to. If you have any questions this customer service is excellent.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stayed there for five nights. It was very clean, though it seemed a little bit old at first. Staff were so nice and cooperative. Our room was spacious. Internet coverage and speed were excellent. Go for it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 June 2014

We loved our stay here. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms were huge and ours unexpectedly had a kitchen and dressing room. Fantastic views of Washington too! We would stay here again. It's within walking distance to everything- it was for us anyway; we did a lot of walking and explored the local area which was great.

Decor of the hotel is not new and it doesn't offer a chic style but it does have very comfy big beds, very helpful staff and is situated in a great location.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bumbleandthemog

Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

This is an older hotel, but well maintained . The check was fast and the young lady at the front desk was charming . We liked our room very much , large and very clean. There was a fridge and microwave in the room also . We state for 5 days and did not have a problem. The restaurant was very handy for breakfast or dinner and the good was great. We would stay here again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 June 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights at the end of May. The hotel is within walking distance to all the main sights, including the White House, Lincoln Memorial etc. We didn't need to use the metro at all (except to get back to Union Station at the end of our stay). If you're used to walking it's not too far to walk to China Town, where we went for meals and drinks. The hotel is situated down a quiet street so you don't hear any noise from outside.
We were greeted by friendly staff, and our room was MASSIVE - so much space with all the facilities we needed. Very clean, bright, spacious and affordable .
Overall I would say that this hotel is excellent and would recommend to anyone visiting DC. It's a shame we couldn't stay longer.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BubblyWelshGrrl

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Yes, the location is fantastic, close to metro, dining, and whole foods, etc. Yes, the rooms are in need of renovation, dated bedding, furniture, etc. So, you know what you're getting when you book. Upside: the king room I was in was HUGE! There was a seating area with a fold out bed, a small dining table with two chairs, a desk, a 6 drawer dress, a kitchenette with dishes, and pans and utensils, in addition to the king bed and still lots of room to move around. The closet was big and the bathroom was small. I didn't hear anyone else except for the doors opening and closing. The staff was nice, I only interacted with them when I checked in and out. The parking, if you're a AAA member was only $20 a night, a real steal in DC, in my experience.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 501. It is bright over the entrance off the street. No real view, but, good light...