“Great spot in Foggy Bottom”

University Inn Washington DC
Ranked #56 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Norwich
“Great spot in Foggy Bottom”
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Just stayed while we dropped off our son at local college(not GW). Want to explore city so we try different areas each time down. We may be done exploring. Nice people, clean room, great location. Walk to JFK CENTER, Georgetown, waterfront, and great neighborhood. Very close to GWU, metro stop( 1 block)and Watergate complex. Quiet, and simple. By no means fancy- we don't like paying $200 a night just to sleep. As is available at most DC hotels, you don't have to pay them for parking- street on weekends is usually available you just have to hunt a little. Nice find if you don't need fancy. Only disappointment was a margarita and a soda was $17. We won't make that mistake again :-)

• Stayed August 2014
6 Thank NCurl
Wil L, Hotel Manager at University Inn Washington DC, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Greetings NCurl,

Thank you for your kind review. We are happy you found the team nice, our rooms clean, and our location suited to your needs. Being tucked away in Historic Foggy Bottom, the GW is in a wonderful location; with the rows of beautiful town homes and quiet streets, one can easily forget they are in Washington DC. We are also thrilled to hear you may be done exploring DC for the perfect hotel. Please do not forget to mention you've been with us in the past as we love surprising our repeat guests with a little something extra during their stay as well as a discounted rate.

Wil Laura

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
York, United States
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We needed to come to Washington for my older sons academic conference and I am glad that I chose GWU Inn. All the staff were attentive and courteous to my needs, the room was decorated nicely and spacious enough for my children with a pull out couch. The room was equipped with a stove so I could cook breakfast for my kids, So I did not have to go out in the morning for a hot breakfast.

Will stay again at GWU INN.

6 Thank Renae S
Wil L, Hotel Manager at University Inn Washington DC, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Hello Renae S,

I am pleased you had a wonderful time at our establishment and found your room well suited to your needs. I am glad you were able to use our stove top to not only cook a family breakfast but also help save a little bit on your trip. Thank you and hope to see you the next time you stay with us.

Kindest Regards,

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 7 August 2014

There is nothing grand or spectacular about this hotel but you get what you pay for. The good things where it is in a nicer area we felt safe the whole time, a close walk to the Metro, the staff was friendly, the beds where pretty comfortable, the rooms are a decent size and there is a Whole Foods and a CVS near by. The bad points are the hotel is dated the wallpaper was peeling in places, the ceiling had paint coming off, our air quit working two different times and there is not many eating choices in the area but we noticed that was common in all of DC.

Room Tip: The walls are thin so ask for a room away from the elevator.
3 Thank ana1210
Hello Ana1210,

I’m sorry to hear you only found the hotel decent. We strive to offer our guests the very best accommodations, and just “decent” is not what we strive for. While our hotel is not the newest one in town, we continuously focus on improving and maintaining our rooms. We located the room you stayed in and patched the ceiling that, we are embarrassed to say, had a little paint peeling. We also addressed the HVAC unit issue. I hope during your stay with us you were able to visit Georgetown or Dupont Circle, which are both a 10-15 minute walk that offer over 50 restaurants to choose from. Please reach out to me the next time you or a friend is in the area, and I will personally make sure the rooms are perfect. I will also recommend some excellent restaurants in the immediate area.

WLaura@ModusHotelsDC.com
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We booked a one-bedroom suite at the GWU Inn from a Friday to a Wednesday for our family of four (two adults, a teen and a pre-teen). When we arrived, it was evening and fairly chaotic - There was one man working the front desk and another man who appeared to be doing double duty as valet and bellhop. We checked in and went up to our room, only to discover it was the wrong room. It was a lovely room, very large and with a nice view, but it wasn't the suite we had booked.

I took my printed confirmation email (I had booked through the hotel's website 5 months prior to our visit) down to the front desk. The man there said, "You're in an efficiency." I showed him the confirmation and said that we had booked a suite. He checked and no suites were available. He apologized, but he didn't seem too engaged with the problem. I was almost in tears (the usual long-day-of-travel-plus-hunger formula), and I asked if there was anything at all he could do. He said that he could move us to the correct room the following day. He didn't offer anything to make it up to us, but I knew we were pretty stuck, so we hunkered down for the night in the wrong room, then re-packed all of our things the next morning and left them in the middle of the room.

We went downstairs and met the daytime front desk person, Bryna. I told her the situation and asked if we could be moved to the right room today, and whether someone could do it for us while we were out. Bryna was super-nice and accommodating. Her customer service was great. She said it would definitely be taken care of, and sure enough, when we returned early afternoon, she gave us a new set of keys and we went to our now-correct suite.

Again, the room was very nice. Aging in places (a loose tile in the kitchenette floor, a discolored bathtub, etc), but very spacious and pleasant. There were a few small issues with cleanliness (hair in the soapdish, for example), but we cleaned them up ourselves. The bed was comfortable, the towels were soft, and the kitchenette was well-stocked with dishes.

During our stay, the one other issue we had was with laundry, but Bryna and the manager resolved that for us, too, with exceptional customer service. They really went out of their way to help us and make us feel at home. And at the end of the stay, Bryna did give us a discount on our parking to make up for the first night being the wrong room. All in all, we had a very positive stay at this hotel, despite the hiccups, and we would definitely stay here again!

Pros: LOCATION (super close to Foggy Bottom metro and landmarks), great price for DC, spacious rooms, dirty dishes replaced with clean ones daily, GREAT customer service from the day staff (can't stress this enough)

Cons: Some small issues with age and cleanliness in the rooms, thermostat was weird (either running all the time or shut off, so we were often either freezing or too warm), ice maker on just one floor (8th), still not sure how the booking computer put us in the wrong room the first night (will call ahead next time to make sure the confirmation is right)

Restaurant: No room service, but the restaurant on site is pretty tasty. A little pricey, but worth it if you don't want to go anywhere off-site. For breakfasts, we skipped the restaurant and cooked in the room (Trader Joes is a short walk to get eggs and other goodies) or went to the Starbucks in the hospital lobby across the street (excellent yogurt parfaits and pastries).

5 Thank Erica A
Hello Ms. EricaA from Florida!

It was a pleasure meeting you in the morning. I am delighted we managed to address the dryer problem. I am happy to hear we were able to recover from the bumpy start, but also concerned regarding the issues you mentioned with check in, the room type error, and most importantly, the cleanliness of the room. Ensuring our guests have a positive experience in a clean room is one of our main goals. I am sorry we did not deliver 100%. If you get a chance, please reach out to me directly as I want to make sure your lasting impression of our hotel is a perfect one.

WLaura@ModusHotelsDC.com
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Not the most up to date of hotels but great staff, generous rooms with all mod cons, small but well fitted fitness suite, car park and a great location if visiting DC....5 minutes from Muddy Bottom tube in a safe residential area adjoining the University but represents great value compared to the chains in the City centre and infact it is only 15 minuets walk to the White House and down town attractions. Stayed there with wife and 2 teenagers who were all pleasantly surprised expecting shoe box rooms and grim environs. Only down side is the "moderate" included breakfast we opted for....but then it kept the calories down! Do try Burger Tap & Shake nearby for informal dining...

5 Thank WaryofWarwickshire
Wil L, Hotel Manager at University Inn Washington DC, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Greeting WarupfWarwickshire,

We are all very happy you found everything to your liking, and managed to take advantage of our location. Being able to walk to the White House and many other attractions is one of the best ways to explore DC. Great recommendation about Burger Tap & Shake, also known as BTS; we love it as well! Did you try the Big Daddy? It’s also one of our favorites. We hope you are able to visit us again the next time you visit Washington DC.

Westbury, New York
Reviewed 4 August 2014

When we arrived at the GWU Inn we encounter an issue that the manager quickly resolved. The manager called several times to make sure we were satisfied with the outcome and always had a polite demeanor. The rooms are spacious and tastefully decorated. The restaurant on the premise offered a delightful breakfast.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed good especially since rooms have large windows.
3 Thank PattiM46
Hello Ms.PattiM46,

Thank you for your review. I am very happy we were able to resolve the issue quickly and efficiently. I’m looking forwarding to your future stay with us. Please reach out to me directly when you’re ready. I’ll make sure everything goes flawless.

wlaura@modushotelsdc.com
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My family and I we travelling from New York to Florida on a road trip so we had only the afternoon and evening in DC. The hotel was easy to find and the location is great, just five minutes from the Metro and about four stops to the museum area. We had two rooms, one for my wife and me and one for my three daughters. Different floors but not a problem. The hotel was really nice, rooms very comfortable and quiet, it was great to get a good night's sleep after four nights in NYC! Beds were very comfortable. Along the road on I street were a good choice of restaurants - family was delighted to find a TGI Friday's! One problem is that parking is limited so we paid $40 for valet parking. I was bewildered to find that the hotel would not give me a receipt for my stay or even tell me what the charges were - I had made a booking through another website, not direct through GWUI and was told that they could not therefore give me any figures which I found staggering and have not had this problem before. I'm sure there won't be a problem but if there is a discrepancy when the credit card bill comes through I have no comeback. Didn't argue as we needed to get on the road but I think this needs to be looked into. This took away from what was otherwise a great hotel and to be recommended.

3 Thank Steve F
Wil L, Hotel Manager at University Inn Washington DC, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Greetings Steve F,

We are all very happy you had such a wonderful stay with us. Being tucked away in Historic Foggy Bottom coupled with our super comfortable beds pretty much guarantees a quiet night sleep. I apologize for the confusion with regards to your bill. Unfortunately, when one books a prepaid reservation through a third party, hotels are unable to give you a bill for room and tax since they were not the ones that charged you for it. I suggest you reach out to the third party with whom you booked the reservation with, and I’m sure they will be able to take care of you. I’m sorry for the confusion and hope this does not deter you from returning to us. In the future, please contact us directly for a reservation, and we will be more than happy to reserve a room for you at the lowest possible rate, guaranteed.