“Great hotel”

University Inn Washington DC
Ranked #61 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 26 April 2010

Just got back from spending four night at the GWUI. Great hotel: two blocks from the metro. Very clean. Large rooms. Helpful staff. Small restaurant and bar in hotel. Great neighborhood. Five minute walk to Kennedy center, restaurants, shopping plaza, waterfront. Small fridge and microwave in room. Very helpful if you have leftovers and/or want to have cold beer or wine.
This hotel is basic, it's not fancy. But it was clean, spacious and quiet. Slept great all four nights. Also received a discount with AAA card.
Highly reccomend this hotel. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,463)

Reviewed 30 March 2010

I stayed at the George Washington University Inn, when visiting a friend in DC.
The rooms were very spacious (my room had a kitchen also - very comfortable for preparing a quick coffee early in the morning) and clean. Staff was polite and friendly. It is definitely a value for money!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 February 2010

Went to DC to soend my birthday with my cousin. Was more than pleased with this property. Central location....short walk to the Watergate and the rest of the sights including the memorials at the Mall. Metro was 2-3 blocks away. Very happy with my stay and will visit there again my next time in DC.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 January 2010

My wife and I were being tourists for MLK weekend, and chose the GWU Inn due to reviews and closeness to the Metro. We found both to be good reasons. Staff were uniformly helpful and friendly, the place was clean (though a little worn in spots), the room (a one bedroom suite) was spacious and very quiet. Will very likely stay with these folks again on our next trip.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 December 2009

Great hotel in a great location, Walking distance to the White House, Capitol Hill and the national Mall. A nice walk to Arlington and Jefferson memorial but doable! Right beside Kennedy center and walking distance to Georgetown. Spacious rooms, clean, tidy and comfortable. Even though its beside GW university its a quiet area. Great hotel overall!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
GWUInnGM, General Manager at University Inn Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2010

Dear GraceyLou,

Thank you for providing feedback about the George Washington University Inn on Trip Advisor. I realize the time it takes to do so.

I am so pleased you had such a great experience with us on your recent visit. I will be sure to share with the team you comments as they always like to hear when things go well.

I hope that if your travels bring you back to the area you will choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed 10 December 2009

Had lots of trouble making a reservation through the website--while trying to establish an account, was asked repeatedly to create a password, but the site wouldn't recognize that I had done so. After eight attempts, my reservation was confirmed, but it was not for the type of room I requested. I phoned the hotel, and some spaced out, extremely slow talking, distracted person said she would correct my reservation. She canceled the reservation, then put me on hold and never picked up the phone again. Deciding that this was a harbinger of things to come, I made a reservation at another hotel. However, I decided to that I needed to confirm with the GW Inn that my reservation was completely canceled and that they did not subsequently reserve the room I had originally requested. I emailed the the hotel, and two days later had not received a reply. I called today, and was informed me that, indeed, I did not have a reservation. Whew!

Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TanteBabs

Dear TanteBabs,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. As you know this is a great resource for us to get feedback on both positive and negative experiences.

I was very disappointed to read that you had such a difficult time with the reservations process. I can only imagine how frustrating that must have been for you. I would also like to apologize for the contact with the agent that you spoke with. I will definitely use your comments to further educate the entire team on proper phone communication and service focus.

If your travels bring you back to the Washington DC area, please contact me directly for assistance with your reservation. While I cannot leave my contact information directly here, please call the main hotel number and ask to speak to the General Manager and I will be happy to assist you.

Reviewed 22 November 2009

I made a reservation two months in advance at the George Washington Inn for an interview I had at GW Medical. They called me the day I was supposed to check in, at 4pm (note, after check in time) and told me they could not accommodate me and would be moving me to their sister hotel (One Washington Circle). Even though the sister hotel is only a short distance away, it was upsetting to me that they acted as if this was not an inconvenience or even an issue for them to be asking me to move on the day I was arriving, after the time I could have arrived. When I asked them why I was being moved the first desk clerk said there was a problem with my room type but after I insisted on talking to the manager he told me that they had a group that decided to stay longer than their original reservation. Now, I don't know about you, but I have been at a hotel before and wanted to stay longer and if they are sold out they tell you NO. I don't understand why this hotel thought it was okay to drop another reservation because another guest decided they wanted to stay longer at the last minute. They also refused to adjust my rate in any way to account for the inconvenience. To top it all off, when I called the sister hotel to discuss my reservation they said they were not aware I was being moved and that their hotel was sold out too. Finally, after calling each hotel another 2-3 times I was given a new reservation number at the One Washington Circle by the GW Inn staff. When I arrived at One Washington Circle in the evening I was told the hotel was in fact sold out despite what the GW Inn had told me and they would only be able to accommodate me in the the Board Room of the hotel for the night. Once I was at the One Washington Circle everyone there was extremely nice and tried to accommodate me the best they could and gave me a discounted rate for my inconvenience - it was the difference between night and day compared to the GW Inn. If you have the option of making a reservation at one of the two hotels, definitely go for One Washington Circle. The GW Inn is poorly run, the staff is rude, and they have zero respect for the commitment they make to you when you make a reservation at their hotel.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank Moo913

Dear Moo913,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your experience with the George Washington University Inn.

In reading your comments, it is certainly understood why you would have such a poor impression of our facility. Not only were we unable to meet the basic expectation of providing you with the room you had reserved, but also fumbled around when communicating to you regarding the reason that your reservation was not able to be honored. This is completely unacceptable, and quite frankly leaves me professionally embarrassed that this could even occur.

While I am pleased that the experience with the team at the One Washington Circle Hotel treated you well, I am extremely sorry that the situation even occurred.

While I cannot leave my direct contact information here directly, if you contact the hotel at our main number and ask to speak to the General Manager I would be most appreciative. I truly would like the opprtunity to somehow make up for the experience you had with us.