“Great Place for a Seasoned Traveler”

University Inn Washington DC
Ranked #52 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Milwaukee
“Great Place for a Seasoned Traveler”
Reviewed 7 December 2006

After spending weeks trying to find an affordable place to stay for three nights in DC, I finally caved in and decided to spend more than I budgeted for a hotel. Boy, was I glad that I did, for my stay at GWU Inn was a great surprise for my birthday weekend vacation.
The location was perfect for those who plan on spending more time exploring than being couped up in a room. The Metro is one block away, and that is important since no one should ever rent a car when visiting DC! The staff was very nice and willing to go the extra mile to help me enjoy my stay. When I asked for a room with a view, it was not a problem at all. Staying on the fifth floor, I had a great view of the Watergate and the Kennedy Center. Very safe at night, and I was able to take my nightly walk down to the National Mall every night I was there.
In a city that can make one poor very quickly, it was nice to be able to afford such a nice and centrally located hotel to stay in. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking to find a spot out of the ordinary in DC. I will only stay there from now on when visiting the Nation's Capital.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Thin walls
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled solo
2 Thank discotraveler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Australia
Reviewed 24 October 2006

We both really enjoyed our stay here. Foggy Bottom is an excellent neighbourhood – safe, quiet and conveniently located within walking distance to many sights (e.g. the western end of The Mall) and very close to the Subway for others.

We initially booked into a standard room, which was pleasant enough, with a microwave (but no dishes or cutlery!) and a small refrigerator. However, our first 2 nights were awful due to rowdy (to put it mildly) neighbours in the next room. Sunday morning, I reported to reception (why did I wait so long?) and was told that there’d been trouble with a few guests and the hotel was going to start cracking down. Better for us, Trent (behind the desk) apologized profusely and immediately upgraded us to a suite on the top floor for the rest of our stay (5 nights). And, wow, what a difference the suite made! It was huge compared to the standard room; had a full kitchen (with dishes and cutlery!); King sized bed (very comfy) in a separate bedroom with its own TV; Sofa-bed (which wasn’t so comfy but wasn’t too bad) in the main living area, etc. We were no longer bothered by rowdy neighbours (suite walls are thicker anyway) but occasional door slamming was annoying and, it must be said, the always-on ventilation fans in the kitchen and the bathroom were pretty loud.

As I said, Foggy Bottom is a great location. The Watergate Centre (wow!) is very close to the hotel and has a fairly useful Safeway supermarket and a decent liquor store (friendly bloke behind the counter) for supplies when you’re not eating/drinking out.

I’d certainly choose this hotel again for a stay in DC and next time I’d pay the extra money for a suite right from the start. Clean and tidy; professional and friendly staff. Thank you, GWU Inn.

• Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ChristianWB
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 3 October 2006

My daughter and I stayed at the GWU Inn because of its convenience for a college tour. We arrived early and were upgraded to a suite (with a small kitchen and nice living room), at no extra charge. The hotel is on a very quiet, tree-lined street (New Hampshire), two blocks away from the GWU campus and the Foggy Bottom Metro station (on the Blue line, which leads directly to the DC airport). It is within easy walking distance to the White House, and a longer walk to the Lincoln Memorial and other sites at the Mall. The staff was very nice, and the rooms were large and clean. The lobby is small, but that doesn't matter. The only drawback was the 6 am fire alarm, which fortunately turned out to be a false alarm. Presumably that does not happen often. I felt safe walking around the area after dark. The restaurants within easy walking distance have cheap, college-type fare, but the food was adequate. A bus from the Foggy Bottom Metro station provides service to the great restaurants of Georgetown. I will stay at the GWU Inn again.

• Liked — Price and convenience
  • Disliked — False fire alarm
  • Tips/Secrets — Arrive early for free upgrade
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with family
2 Thank Molthan
California
Reviewed 25 September 2006

If you book your reservation from an online discounter and don't show up at the front in a luxury car prepare to be treated like scum. This is a 3 star dinky hotel with the snobbiness of a 5 start luxury resort. They 'proudly display' only the luxury cars in their front yard valet service and they almost towed my friend's old battered toyota from a 15 min loading zone during our 5 min trip upstairs to pick our bags.

We had a problem from the start - the room type (king non-smoking) we reserved was not available. The management is non-existent (it seems they work 9-5 schedule, which is pretty unusual for hotel industry) and leave everything on the shoulders of their young inexperienced personnel. Our assistant seemed to be a college student very nice and naive and incredibly stubborn. She didn't know the difference between the double/full and a queen size bed and was trying to convince us it was the same thing.

She kept arguing with me (although politely) that since we got the internet rate we were not guaranteed a certain type of the room (the king non-smoking). She blantly told us that they gave away the rooms to the people who wanted them that booked on the hotels' website. They obviously knew we CARED about the size of the bed since we called in advance early morning trying to make sure one is available. But of course they decided that we weren't important to acknowledge our request. We were basically treated like some street scum for paying 50 bucks less than their standard rate. Only after I showed her my frequent stayer platinum cards from Marriott and Starwood (which means I stay at hotels at least 125 nights a year) she started to believe me that I know just a little bit more about how reservations work than the average 'unimportant budget traveller' she thought we were. At the end realizing that we won't leave until we get our money back from our prepaid reservation the girl finally gave us the suite (which was the only available king non-smoking).

The suite was very convenient and quiet but the beds were the most uncomfortable, they were hard as rock and I couldn't get a good night sleep for all 3 nights of our stay. The bedding is mediocre, if you expect a down/feather pillow you should bring your own. The double room they showed us was pretty run down, the suite we got seemed to have more updated furniture. The TVs are old 19 inch tubes, but they have extensive cable service (a lot more channels than most hotels).

• Liked — Location, suites are nice - like little apartments
  • Disliked — Blant disrespect towards budget travellers, elitist attitude of the personnel
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure to book the reservation for their full retail price otherwise look elsewhere
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
6 Thank FreqTraveller2
Arkansas
Reviewed 9 June 2006

Enjoyed a four night stay here over the Memorial Day weekend. Highlights were:

Location: A block and a half walk to the Foggy Bottom metro. Extremely convenient.

A friendly, professional and helpful staff. It's been a long time since I've encountered such pleasant hotel staff. Although there's no concierge, the front desk personnel were happy to recommend restaurants, attractions, etc. A minor maintenance problem was fixed within minutes of informing the front desk.

Large room with lots of amenities. King bed, loveseat, table and chairs, armoire with TV, full kitchen with microwave, refrigerator, 2 burner stove, coffee maker, coffee beans & grinder, dressing room with extra dresser and full length mirror, terry robes, hair dryer, ironing board, and safe. Decent-sized bathroom. Except for the door-slammers convention one night, it was a very quiet stay.

• Stayed May 2006
7 Thank graceb
Voorhees, NJ
Reviewed 4 January 2006

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nites over the New Year's weekend. Paid for a deluxe room with 2 TV's and my husband and I ended up with an efficiency unit that we were not pleased with (one TV). Felt claustrophobic upon entering the room and called the desk immediately and they would not change the room. We had arrived early and other guests had not so do not understand why the room could not be changed. Tried 3 times in less than an hour to have room changed but desk would not do so. Although room very clean, it was very drafty and cold with a continous breeze right down the middle of the room. Also, found the bathroom very cold at all times. Our unit did not have a separate bedroom (as pictured in ads) and the way the bed was situated, you felt the walls were closing in on you. When hotel emptied out after the weekend, we were still not offered a bigger room.
Unit had a small refrigerator, a two-burner stove top, and a microwave. Plenty of dishes, utensils, and pots and pans should you want to cook breakfast, etc. Good location very close to Metro..quiet neighborhood, but would not stay here again at this hotel based on our experience. Bed was very hard, and only one very small hard loveseat to sit on. Room too small to spend 4 days in.

• Stayed January 2006
5 Thank The Beach Lover
COOL, CA
Reviewed 30 October 2005

We stayed at this wonderful older hotel for 6 nights in October of 2005. We had a spacious corner suite with fully equipped kitchenette (frig, sink, stovetop, microwave, dishes, etc.). Although the furniture was somewhat worn, we were very comfortable. Lots of closet space, 2 TV's, and triple sheets on a nice firm mattress. Excellent, helpful staff that were polite and helpful without "butt kissing". The location is excellent just a short walk from the University and Metro station. The restaurant on the ground floor serves some of the best Italian food we've ever eaten and there is also a TGI Friday's a few blocks away and a little place called Lindy's that serves the best hamburgers ever. The breakfast offerings at the hotel are limited but convenient (expensive for eggs and toast). Overall, a very pleasant stay at very reasonable rates (average about $200 per nite). We will stay here again. FYI- a supermarket, liquor store and pharmacy are located just a few blocks away at the WAtergate complex.

• Stayed October 2005