“GW should be ashamed”

University Inn Washington DC
Ranked #60 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 22 February 2007

Booked our stay here in February when my daugther was visiting GW. Upon check the desk assistant never even looked up. When we went to our room you could actually smell the mustiness in the curtains and bedding. The plastic black out shades behind the drapes were actually covered in dirt. I asked for a room change and was told that they were sold out. I must say that I could barely sleep and when I awoke I had several bites on me. We were supposed to stay for 2 nights and luckily my daugter finished early and I was able to leave. I told them I was quite sick. The place is a slum and GW should be ashamed to have this as their official on campus hotel. I actually hear that the dorm rooms are not much better.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled on business
4  Thank di7-7
Derrick S, Manager at University Inn Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2017

Dear Guest,

The hotel is under new management and ownership. We invite you to stay with us again and would love to welcome you back. Please contact us directly and mention this review so that we can take good care of you and your next reservation.

Reviewed 22 February 2007

My husband and I had a nice, belated Valentine's day weekend here. We had tickets to the Kennedy Center which is a short walk. This is a nice part of the city, you can walk into Georgetown if the weather is nice.

Overall, this isn't a luxury hotel but very nice, nicely decorated, nice furniture and very spacious. I loved the Aveda face soap- a nice touch.

My one complaint is that the hotel listed restaurants within walking distance. We walked to the French restaurant listed in the hotel's materials only to find out it had been closed!

The Italian restaurant in the lobby of the hotel is one of the City's best and was given 3 stars by the Wash. Post- a very good rating.

I don't agree with previous reviewer's, the staff was not snobby at all- and we certainly didn't arrive in a limo.

Stayed: February 2007
Reviewed 7 December 2006

After spending weeks trying to find an affordable place to stay for three nights in DC, I finally caved in and decided to spend more than I budgeted for a hotel. Boy, was I glad that I did, for my stay at GWU Inn was a great surprise for my birthday weekend vacation.
The location was perfect for those who plan on spending more time exploring than being couped up in a room. The Metro is one block away, and that is important since no one should ever rent a car when visiting DC! The staff was very nice and willing to go the extra mile to help me enjoy my stay. When I asked for a room with a view, it was not a problem at all. Staying on the fifth floor, I had a great view of the Watergate and the Kennedy Center. Very safe at night, and I was able to take my nightly walk down to the National Mall every night I was there.
In a city that can make one poor very quickly, it was nice to be able to afford such a nice and centrally located hotel to stay in. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking to find a spot out of the ordinary in DC. I will only stay there from now on when visiting the Nation's Capital.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled solo
2  Thank discotraveler
Reviewed 24 October 2006

We both really enjoyed our stay here. Foggy Bottom is an excellent neighbourhood – safe, quiet and conveniently located within walking distance to many sights (e.g. the western end of The Mall) and very close to the Subway for others.

We initially booked into a standard room, which was pleasant enough, with a microwave (but no dishes or cutlery!) and a small refrigerator. However, our first 2 nights were awful due to rowdy (to put it mildly) neighbours in the next room. Sunday morning, I reported to reception (why did I wait so long?) and was told that there’d been trouble with a few guests and the hotel was going to start cracking down. Better for us, Trent (behind the desk) apologized profusely and immediately upgraded us to a suite on the top floor for the rest of our stay (5 nights). And, wow, what a difference the suite made! It was huge compared to the standard room; had a full kitchen (with dishes and cutlery!); King sized bed (very comfy) in a separate bedroom with its own TV; Sofa-bed (which wasn’t so comfy but wasn’t too bad) in the main living area, etc. We were no longer bothered by rowdy neighbours (suite walls are thicker anyway) but occasional door slamming was annoying and, it must be said, the always-on ventilation fans in the kitchen and the bathroom were pretty loud.

As I said, Foggy Bottom is a great location. The Watergate Centre (wow!) is very close to the hotel and has a fairly useful Safeway supermarket and a decent liquor store (friendly bloke behind the counter) for supplies when you’re not eating/drinking out.

I’d certainly choose this hotel again for a stay in DC and next time I’d pay the extra money for a suite right from the start. Clean and tidy; professional and friendly staff. Thank you, GWU Inn.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ChristianWB
Reviewed 3 October 2006

My daughter and I stayed at the GWU Inn because of its convenience for a college tour. We arrived early and were upgraded to a suite (with a small kitchen and nice living room), at no extra charge. The hotel is on a very quiet, tree-lined street (New Hampshire), two blocks away from the GWU campus and the Foggy Bottom Metro station (on the Blue line, which leads directly to the DC airport). It is within easy walking distance to the White House, and a longer walk to the Lincoln Memorial and other sites at the Mall. The staff was very nice, and the rooms were large and clean. The lobby is small, but that doesn't matter. The only drawback was the 6 am fire alarm, which fortunately turned out to be a false alarm. Presumably that does not happen often. I felt safe walking around the area after dark. The restaurants within easy walking distance have cheap, college-type fare, but the food was adequate. A bus from the Foggy Bottom Metro station provides service to the great restaurants of Georgetown. I will stay at the GWU Inn again.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with family
2  Thank Molthan
Reviewed 25 September 2006

If you book your reservation from an online discounter and don't show up at the front in a luxury car prepare to be treated like scum. This is a 3 star dinky hotel with the snobbiness of a 5 start luxury resort. They 'proudly display' only the luxury cars in their front yard valet service and they almost towed my friend's old battered toyota from a 15 min loading zone during our 5 min trip upstairs to pick our bags.

We had a problem from the start - the room type (king non-smoking) we reserved was not available. The management is non-existent (it seems they work 9-5 schedule, which is pretty unusual for hotel industry) and leave everything on the shoulders of their young inexperienced personnel. Our assistant seemed to be a college student very nice and naive and incredibly stubborn. She didn't know the difference between the double/full and a queen size bed and was trying to convince us it was the same thing.

She kept arguing with me (although politely) that since we got the internet rate we were not guaranteed a certain type of the room (the king non-smoking). She blantly told us that they gave away the rooms to the people who wanted them that booked on the hotels' website. They obviously knew we CARED about the size of the bed since we called in advance early morning trying to make sure one is available. But of course they decided that we weren't important to acknowledge our request. We were basically treated like some street scum for paying 50 bucks less than their standard rate. Only after I showed her my frequent stayer platinum cards from Marriott and Starwood (which means I stay at hotels at least 125 nights a year) she started to believe me that I know just a little bit more about how reservations work than the average 'unimportant budget traveller' she thought we were. At the end realizing that we won't leave until we get our money back from our prepaid reservation the girl finally gave us the suite (which was the only available king non-smoking).

The suite was very convenient and quiet but the beds were the most uncomfortable, they were hard as rock and I couldn't get a good night sleep for all 3 nights of our stay. The bedding is mediocre, if you expect a down/feather pillow you should bring your own. The double room they showed us was pretty run down, the suite we got seemed to have more updated furniture. The TVs are old 19 inch tubes, but they have extensive cable service (a lot more channels than most hotels).

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
6  Thank FreqTraveller2
Reviewed 9 June 2006

Enjoyed a four night stay here over the Memorial Day weekend. Highlights were:

Location: A block and a half walk to the Foggy Bottom metro. Extremely convenient.

A friendly, professional and helpful staff. It's been a long time since I've encountered such pleasant hotel staff. Although there's no concierge, the front desk personnel were happy to recommend restaurants, attractions, etc. A minor maintenance problem was fixed within minutes of informing the front desk.

Large room with lots of amenities. King bed, loveseat, table and chairs, armoire with TV, full kitchen with microwave, refrigerator, 2 burner stove, coffee maker, coffee beans & grinder, dressing room with extra dresser and full length mirror, terry robes, hair dryer, ironing board, and safe. Decent-sized bathroom. Except for the door-slammers convention one night, it was a very quiet stay.

• Stayed: May 2006