“Friendly Hotel Convenient to GWU”

University Inn Washington DC
Ranked #52 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Philadelphia
“Friendly Hotel Convenient to GWU”
Reviewed 2 July 2010

I picked this hotel for its reasonable price and location near GWU where we went for a college tour. Short walk from the Foggy Bottom metro station makes this a good base for exploring the rest of the city. It's also a 10 min walk to Georgetown from here.

I loved the quiet neighborhood and the staff were very friendly. There is a restaurant in the bottom of the hotel where you can get a reasonably priced continental breakfast-I think it was only $8. The desk staff was courteous and helpful with storing our luggage after check-out.

We had a double room which was very spacious with 2 comfortable queen beds. There was a microwave and minifridge in an alcove near the bathroom. No mini bar, but there is a 7-11 nearby where you can stock up on water bottles and snacks.

We only stayed one night but I have a very favorable experience and would return.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank rocknroll52
GWUInnGM, General Manager at University Inn Washington DC, responded to this review, 9 August 2010
Dear RocknRoll52,

Thank you for completing a review on Trip advisor. I am so happy that you like our location and that our staff was pleasant and helpful to you during your stay. I will be sure to pass on your complements. Getting feed back such as this is a valuable tool for the hotel and a moral booster to the team.

If you are ever in the Washington DC area again please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will be happy to assit you in making arrangements to stay with us again. I can be reached at manager@gwuinn.com

Sarah Conigliaro
Hotel Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
San Diego, California
Reviewed 23 June 2010

I made a reservation online to stay at this hotel on the night of 5/25.
On the morning of 5/25 I recieved a voicemail informing me that my reservations were being cancelled and I was booked at another hotel.
I called the hotel, was put on hold for 8-10 minutes before I hung up and called back.
When I called back, I was told that due to a plumbing emergency, there were no longer rooms available. This fact was later refuted by another employee, who admitted that they were simply overbooked.
I told the employee that the hotel I was being moved to was inappropriate as I did not have a car and needed to walk to my meeting in the morning, and the new hotel was an expensive taxi ride and also right in the input into DC with respoect to traffic. I was told that there was nothing that could be done.
I boarded my plane from San Diego, got in to Dulles and got a taxi to the new hotel at approximately 10:15 PM. Upon arrival at the new hotel, I was told that my reservation had been cancelled. The hotel was also overbooked so could not offer me a room.
The hotel clerk proceeded to call, and after being put on hold for 10-12 minutes. Thankfully, I had asked my taxi to wait so they could take me to dinner somewhere that was open and not fast food, the only option available by the new hotel.
After about a 15 minute wait, the GWU inn employee told us that my new reservation was in Arlington, but that they needed to call and confirm it for some reason. Mind you, I WAS NEVER CONTACTED VIA PHONE OR EMAIL ABOUT THIS CHANGE.
After an additional 10 minutes hold, the GWU employee told me just to come to the GWU inn, as apparently a reservation was never made at the new hotel.
When I got to the hotel at almost 11:30, I asked about the plumbing problems and was told that in fact they were simply overbooked.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank fredtjones
Arcadia, California
Reviewed 15 May 2010

Based on the other reviews on TripAdvisor, I decided to book a week at this hotel. I'm glad I did as it was a charming boutique hotel on a quiet, tree-lined side street. It is about a block and a half from the Foggy Bottom Metro Station and 2 large blocks from the Kennedy Center. There is a Safeway market about a block away in the lower level of the Watergate Hotel.
We had a regular room with a king sized bed which was very comfortable. The room was very large. It was nice that the microwave and refrigerator was located in another room so that the noise from the mini frig didn't keep us awake at night. The staff was very responsive and extremely friendly and helpful. The carpet was a little worn, but the rest of the furnishings were fine. The bathroom was clean. Great value for the location and for a boutique hotel. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Blue Mountains
Reviewed 1 May 2010

When searching for Washington Hotels we were a bit dismayed as they seemed very expensive for anything within a reasonable distance of the major sights. After some persistence we found the GWU Inn that seemed to be a good price and had good reviews. We stayed 3 nights and were very pleased with the service and rooms provided by the hotel. We found that we had been upgraded to a one bedroom suite which was very spacious with a large living area, kitchenette and a separate bedroom with king bed. Our room looked out toward Georgetown and the Potomac and over the residential neighbourhood. We also looked at the Watergate Hotel we discovered where we found a Safeway grocery store with good supplies for breakfast and a couple of meals when we were too tired from all the museums and monuments). The exterior of the hotel and the lobby are plain and modest but the room was clean, well appointed and well equipped. It was an easy walk to Georgetown to all the boutiques and bars as well as the metro which took us in no time to the mall and the major attractions. At night it was quiet and the area surrounding the hotel was very safe. On top of all this it was good value for money. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Washington and at the GWU Inn and will be recommending this to other Australian friends.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Worcester
Reviewed 26 April 2010

Just got back from spending four night at the GWUI. Great hotel: two blocks from the metro. Very clean. Large rooms. Helpful staff. Small restaurant and bar in hotel. Great neighborhood. Five minute walk to Kennedy center, restaurants, shopping plaza, waterfront. Small fridge and microwave in room. Very helpful if you have leftovers and/or want to have cold beer or wine.
This hotel is basic, it's not fancy. But it was clean, spacious and quiet. Slept great all four nights. Also received a discount with AAA card.
Highly reccomend this hotel. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Greece, Acropolis
Reviewed 30 March 2010

I stayed at the George Washington University Inn, when visiting a friend in DC.
The rooms were very spacious (my room had a kitchen also - very comfortable for preparing a quick coffee early in the morning) and clean. Staff was polite and friendly. It is definitely a value for money!

• Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 24 February 2010

Went to DC to soend my birthday with my cousin. Was more than pleased with this property. Central location....short walk to the Watergate and the rest of the sights including the memorials at the Mall. Metro was 2-3 blocks away. Very happy with my stay and will visit there again my next time in DC.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled solo