“Great Location, Okay Rooms, Mediocre Service”

University Inn Washington DC
Ranked #60 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 29 August 2007

I stayed at this hotel because I attended a two-day orientation session at GWU. This hotel was so close and I got quite a good rate through the school. I did have a little trouble finding the place, it is nestled in between residential homes & apartment buildings and the sign is pretty tiny. But it was within a block and a half from the metro and even less to campus.

The room was plenty big, with two double beds, a desk, a separate room for the microwave & fridge, and a tiny bathroom. The bathroom shelf was annoying (as other reviewers have said) because it would not fit any of my toiletries. Water pressure was good, the towels were amazing, and I liked they offered free shoe shine service (although I never used it).

The best part about the room - the bed! It was so comfortable, moreso than even my own at home. One of the best I've slept on while away from home. The worst part (besides the tiny bathroom) - the maid service. They didn't replace any of the toiletries during my four night stay, forgot to clean the coffee pot and replace the coffee a couple of other days, and didn't bother to do more than make the beds and take out the trash and towels. Very disappointing. The view out my window was lovely at night, I could see the Kennedy Center all lit up down the street. Lovely!

All in all, when I go back to GWU I will likely stay at this hotel because of the amazing discount the university offered me. But if I were paying over $200 a night I'd move out of the district to Alexandria or Arlington and get a much nicer hotel for the price.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank Serendipity88
Write a ReviewReviews (1,463)

Reviewed 14 August 2007

Wonderful, quaint hotel in beautiful Georgetown. Metro 5 minutes away on foot. The hotel staff was very gracious and helpful. Smiles everywhere!!! Room was very comfortable and clean. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and would return again if ever in the DC area. This place rocks!!!

Stayed: June 2007
Reviewed 19 July 2007

In addition to the previously written positive reviews, I would also like to mention my great stay at this hotel. As a parent of a GW university student, I was looking for a hotel located very close to the Foggy Bottom Campus in May'07. This, by far, is the best location. Just an easy walk up two blocks, and your right at the GW Hospital, a metro stop, and the GWU Student Center and rest of campus.

The hotel is actually a reburbished apartment building. The hotel rooms have a typical apartment floorplan including kitchens. The lobby's registration counter is very small as is the lobby. All staff were very friendly...although be prepared to carry your own luggage as bellhops were seldom seen during my stay (3 days). Elevators are VERY small. Also, if travelers prefer to have a hopping lounge or good restaurant in the hotel where they stay - this location is NOT for you. You will need to either go for walk to some great places or order take-out. Many restaurants do deliver and most of the rooms have a galley kitchen where you can save left-overs in your refrigerator!

I didn't experience the "thin walls" a previous reviewer mentioned - but I was so exhausted after walking all over campus that by the time I returned to my room I crashed on a very comfortable bed and was out like a light!

I would certainly return to this hotel again, but for the next few visits to GWU I will continue to experiment with surrounding hotels and post my experiences.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank Beantowngal
Reviewed 18 June 2007

I stayed here one night before an exam the next morning being administered at a nearby test site (I live just outside of DC). Location was pretty good, in GW campus, next to the metro, safe area with street parking until 7AM the next day M-F. Rooms were clean, large, comfortable. Bathroom was clean with extra towels etc. Night reception was horrible. When I arrived, at 11PM to check in, no one was there, the guy at the reception seemed to have just been awakened, came up rubbing the sleep out of his eyes and seemed annoyed at me for waking him. I inquired if they were very booked up, because I had an exam the next day and I would need to be able to sleep so please give me a room that is not near any other patrons (its a hotel on a college campus and so I assume there are going to be a lot of college kids roaming about the hotel on a friday night). He again seems annoyed and just grunted "this'll be fine" and pushes a room key at me. I go to the room, and the next room over there is a loud party going on. I didn't even step into the room, I just went back down and asked for another room. I said, there is a party going on in the room next door, I need another room. He says "Why?" as if that wasn't explanation enough. Finally he gives me a room higher up and that one was fine. The walls are paper thin so you can hear the usual people talking in the hallway and sounds of opening and shutting doors - no big deal - but I was rather annoyed at the attitude and disregard shown by reception so I would stay here again if the price was right. Reading the other reviews, I am guessing the reception during the day is better.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank wasif20
Derrick S, Manager at University Inn Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2017

Dear Guest,

The hotel is under new management and ownership. We invite you to stay with us again and would love to welcome you back. Please contact us directly and mention this review so that we can take good care of you and your next reservation.

Reviewed 13 June 2007

For $300 a night I expected something decent. Not the case here. To be fair, the hotel room was large, but it was dated. Good for parents who want to see their kids at GW and don't really care where they stay - NOT OK for business travelers. There's no room service, the restaurant, which closes early, is sub par, and the hotel staff is not terribly hospitable. The thing I disliked most about this place was waking up before 8 AM to the housekeeping staff who were quite overzealous about cleaning my room. After sending them away twice, I received a knock on the door from another member of the housekeeping staff who was set on taking an inventory of the room. I tried to send her away but she was insistent on coming in and I decided to check out early as a result. The clerk at the front desk offered to compensate me for this inconvenience, which I did appreciate, but all in all for $300 a night this place was a tremendous dissapointment. I will not return. Feel free to ask specific questions should you have any. Hope this helps.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business
3  Thank lhasson

Reviewed 21 April 2007

I throughly enjoyed my 1st stay at the George Washington University Inn. As other reviewers have noted, it is an odd arrangement due to its former life as a dorm/apartment structure and has no real lobby area. The rooms vary widely in size. The guest services offered (breakfast, business center, gym, pool) appear to be rather limited but I didn't seek them out either. The staff was pleasant, no problems at all during my stay. By far the best aspect to this hotel is its proximity to GWU and the Metro Blue-Yellow Line Foggy Bottom-GWU stop which is less than a block away and offers great access to the rest of the area including a short non-transfer ride to Washington National Airport. It took me 15 minutes at a steady pace to walk from the hotel to the Lincoln Memorial at the west end of the National Mall. A large umbrella is included in the closet for use during your stay which I thought was a great touch given the problems carrying large umbrellas on flights. The bathroom of my room was small but co-workers reported more spacious bathrooms in their rooms. If a lot bathroom counter space is important to you, then ask, mine barely had a shelf for my bath items. The shower head is a simple 3-stream head and unfortunately is fixed in place, though it is at least located high on the shower wall rather than at face level as I've seen at other properties. A 7-11 store is nearby for small items. The neighborhood and travel path to the National Mall appeared quite safe, I had no concerns walking the area or taking the Metro late at night in this area. Parking (if you wanted to do such a thing) is valet only. The cab ride from Washington National was $19 and took less than 15 minutes in the late evening. I would consider other properties in the area as well when planning a trip but certainly look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank civilengtiger
Reviewed 18 April 2007

I stayed here for two nights in April, 07. The good news is that it is very convenient to Metro (2 blocks) and short walk (10-12 blocks) to Georgetown and DuPont Circle restaurants. The room was big and had a good bed. The bad news is that the walls are thin: I could hear people talking and music in the next room; the staff was indifferent to the internet not working the two days I was there (though advertised as free internet); and if you want ice, there is only one machine (8th floor). With other hotels offered through Hotwire and Priceline with equally good locations, I'm going elsewhere next time in DC. Quite frankly, the "we don't give a damn" attitude I got when I complained about the problems is the core of my displeasure and my refusal to stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled on business