“Prima hotel”

Grand Hyatt Washington
Ranked #71 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Perfectly situated in de city center. Friendly staf. Good not included in rhe room rate. Some rooms have long walk from the elevators.
Rooms have good beds. My room had the shower in the bath.
I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Alexandra68_10
There are newer reviews for Grand Hyatt Washington

Reviewed 1 April 2013

I stayed at this property for two nights for business. The previous reviews are correct about construction. The key is to ask for a room on the high floors, as the construction is already complete.

My room was on the 11th floor. Very nicely decorated. The renovations are great. Very nice work area, sitting area and large bathroom. The room was very quiet and no issues with noise or anything.

The property is very large and can be crowded due to alot of convention traffic. One bad on staying on a high floor is that the wait for elevators at peak times can be a bit long, so plan accordingly.

I was greeted promptly at the front desk and the attendant knowledged my gold passport status. The check in process was quick and efficient.

Couple areas of improvement needed. 1 - The cordless phone in the room did not work. Very odd for a newly renovated room. It was not a big deal given the room had another phone and the speaker phone worked. Just the cordless handset did not work. 2 - At check in, the attendant did not ask nor provide me with a code to access the wireless internet. I had to call down to the front desk to get a code, so that I could access the internet.

All in all, a great stay and would definitely utilize this property again, when in DC.

1  Thank Lv2CtheWorld
Reviewed 31 March 2013

The good: location is good for the convention center and within walking distance of a number of places to eat and drink. The hotel has a nice feel to it - many recent and ongoing renovations. The restaurant, Cure, has a very cool vibe with good service, ok food and drinks. Our room was clean and updated with nice lighting and a docking station for my phone.

The not so good: construction, hotel check in procedure, beds with craters, water pressure in shower

After checking into our room we heard loud drilling noises. We called to the front desk to ask and were told that there is construction going on in the hotel which starts at 8 am and if we had looked on their website we would have seen that. We booked the room 6 months ago, maybe it said it then, but still, not a good reply to the question. Luckily we were able to pay for an upgrade to get a room on a higher floor. We were told to wait in the room we had just checked into and someone would bring a key. After about 10 minutes, we hear noise at the door. In walk people who had just checked in and had been given a key to the room (before we were even out). So we awkwardly explain why we're in their/our room and gather up our bags and haul them down to the lobby to figure this out. Meanwhile, the guests who got that room now had a dirty towel and an open soap left in their bathroom because we had used the bathroom upon arrival before we noticed the drilling. That situation was handled poorly. So we wait in line again, we get new keys, and go to the 11th floor.

The upgraded room was exactly the same as the other one, just higher. No drilling sounds, we were happy. Unitl 8 am. The street outside the window and the building across the street are under construction so the jackhammer on the sidewalk started early. Sleep was also an issue because of the beds. We had two doubles. Each had a big sag in the middle on the side closest to the night stand. Another complaint is the light water pressure in the shower made it tough to feel clean at the end.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay at this hotel while I was awake, but I didn't sleep very well and that's pretty important to me.

Room Tip: Ask if there is a way you can be in a room away from construction in the hotel/on the street.
1  Thank HipFLCat
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Choice of hotel was from the person organizing the small conference I attended for two days. Very centrally located. My room seemed a somewhat awkward shape when I first walked in but eventually I rather liked the fact that the bed was on an angle, well away from the entrance door. Room had everything I required, very comfortable bed, spotlessly clean. Interesting charging station next to the desk that offered many options including plugs and usb charging. Bathroom was a bit "industrial" ie. the toilet was one with the pipes showing as in a public facility, however water pressure etc was terrific. Any staff I had contact with were very pleasant. Its a huge hotel and I was concerned that might mean long waits for elevators in the morning but in fact they were very fast. Cant say the hotel had charm - it was a large chain hotel - but it was a comfortable stay that left nothing to be desired.

1  Thank LVLTO
Reviewed 30 March 2013 via mobile

We checked in tonight at 8:30 and it was a total mess. We are a family of four and I booked a room with with two double beds. When I checked in, I was told that they over sold all the double bed rooms. I offered to pay for an upgrade, and they didn't have anything to accommodate all 4 of us except they could give me a king room, and bring in a roll away bed. I said fine, and figured my son could just sleep with us. He's 8. Not the greatest accommodations, but things happen and no big deal as long as we all had a place to sleep... While we waited, they gave the kids ice cream sandwiches which was nice,but not expected, and the workers checking us in were very accommodating and super nice. Again, things happen! We headed to our " king" room, and it was a queen. I called and asked for two roll aways since it was a queen and we would make it work. They said they couldn't bring two into the room. I then said the queen room was not going to work, and they then gave us a king room with 1 roll away bed after calling 2 times and waiting another 20 minutes. We got to the new room and it is on the first floor and the room itself is clean, however, the hallway on the way to the room is disgusting! There was dirt and dry wall pieces all over the floor. I understand they're under construction, but at least vacuum the hallways if u have guests staying on the floors. If you do stay here, I would not stay on the first or 2nd floors. That is where both of the rooms are that we were in and the construction is still going on. I will say, the location is great though, but I would definitely recommend staying at a different hotel!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Odjenni
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2013

I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at Grand Hyatt Washington. It is very disappointing to learn that you and your family did not receive your requested bed type. Please know we try and accommodate all of our guests bed type requests to ensure their stays are enjoyable. I have shared your comments regarding the corridors to our housekeeping manager. I want to assure you that your recent experience at our property is not the norm. I hope that we can have the opportunity in the future to welcome you back to Grand Hyatt Washington so you can experience our true Hyatt hospitality.

Brock S. - A Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed 30 March 2013

Absolutely enjoyed my stay here! The staff was amazing and very courteous. The rooms were clean and updated (LOVED the bedside outlet for my electronics!) The best part was the location! All the attractions are just a 10-15 minute walk away. It was perfect! Definitely will stay here again if I find myself in Washington DC in the future!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 March 2013

A recent trip took me to DC to meet with our legislators and we had our national conference at the Grand Hyatt. Rather than focus on the rooms, which were excellent down to the adjustable beds - I thought I would let other business travelers know that the Grand Hyatt put on an excellent business conference. From the food, to the conference room, to the service by the local technology team - everything went awesome. Great job Hyatt DC

Room Tip: Pick a room at the back of the hotel (Opposite the lobby entrance) There is a nightclub across the s...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Your feedback is greatly appreciated. I’m delighted the conference you attended went very smoothly. I’ll be sure to share your kind words with the staff that assisted during the event. Thank you for choosing Grand Hyatt Washington. I hope we can welcome you back to our property in the future!

Brock S – A Guest Relations Associate