“Great Business/Conference Hotel”

Grand Hyatt Washington
Ranked #71 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 21 December 2013

I stayed here for a conference and it was very enjoyable. The price was reasonable and all of the amenities were up to par. Lots of choices for food and restaurants in the hotel. The conference facilities are quite nice and main lobby is great for lounging. The hotel was close to several sites - within walking distance to the national mall. Overall would definitely recording it to anyone traveling on business or wants to stay at a nice, but not crazy expensive hotel

Room Tip: Rooms facing outside are quitter because there isn't noise from the lobby.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (5,010)

Reviewed 16 December 2013

Grand Hyatt is a lovely hotel in a great location. Service was also superb. The room is very well maintain. Only concern is the lack of security since anyone can go to the rooms. No passcard required and no security personnel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Grand Hyatt Washington.
I'm so happy your enjoyed the hotel and our wonderful service. I'm so glad you enjoyed our convenient location. I will certainly forward all your feedback to our management team.

We would love to welcome you back and hope to see you soon. Thanks for choosing Hyatt.

Reviewed 13 December 2013

Impressive atrium, nice clean new facilities, spacious rooms, very comfortable beds. With only one exception the staff was polite and ready to help. I enjoyed the view and will attach photos to go along with my review. I was in room #794. Yes, I would stay there again. Beyond this point, if you want to read my details, brew yourself a cup of tea or coffee and have a seat.

I have a few bones to pick about the bathroom:

1). The shower struck me as odd because it was flush with the floor. There was no tub. After a day of pondering that, I concluded that perhaps it was designed for someone in a wheel chair. I have no idea if other rooms had bathrooms like this. Even if it was designed for a traveler in a wheel chair, there was only one drain in the shower and it was not adequate. I tried to build a small dam using towels to hold the water back. I tried turning the water off when soaping up and then turning it back on for a minimal amount of time. No matter what, the water would make its path downhill and puddle all the way to the other side of the room. The floor tiles became slippery when wet.

2). There was about an eighth of an inch of clearance between the soap dish and the faucet. There was no indent in the ceramic sink for a bar of soap so a dish was essential, but the perimeter of the sink offered little choice in where to put it.

3). There was a LOT of space in that bathroom, including a couple feet on the left side of the sink. Given the limited amount of horizontal surface with the sink, a simple small shelf on the left side would have been very helpful. There was a shelf in a cabinet above the toilet a few feet to the left, but a small shelf next to the sink would have been much easier to leave things on, such as razors, toothpaste, toothbrush, etc.

A beef about calling the front desk:

You never think about calling the front desk until you need to. The need to contact the front desk reared its head during my stay. I looked at the phone to see if they had a button to reach the front desk. After reviewing the buttons, I decided "host" might be the appropriate button to push. I pushed it and nothing happened. Thinking it would be easy to find the number in the guest book, I decided to look there. I do not remember whether it was on page 3 or page 5, but I found a few numbers that would put me in touch with the front desk. It was listed in alphabetic order under the word "comments". Why make such essential information so hard to find?

Now my gripe about the bill:

While everyone (but one) at the Grand Hyatt was nice, I still had to march down to the lobby and be prepared for a confrontation at 4:00AM on my checkout day. I had a conference discount rate. I made reservations months ago, but as time came closer, I had to shorten my stay by one day. A week before my visit I called the Hyatt number in my confirmation email, thinking it was the front desk of the hotel in DC, but it turned out to be their general number. The agent told me that I'd have to pay an extra $30 a day above the conference group rate. Since I was still staying three nights, as many conference attendees were, I pursued the issue with him. He put me on hold and said he'd check with the DC Grand Hyatt. He came back on the phone and told me that the Hyatt would honor the conference rate (as they should!).

At 3:45AM of my check out day I noticed the bill had been slipped under the door. Sure enough, they charged me the full rate. Rather than look up whatever page the front desk's phone number was on, I just got dressed and went down to the front desk. They ended up honoring the $30 a day discount, but by that time I had enough adrenaline in my system I knew there was no going back to sleep for me.

The check out time is NOON:

That is what was printed on the sign inside of the door in room 794. You know those signs with directions of where the stairs are in case of a fire, etc. I don't know what kind of pressure the housecleaning staff is under to have the rooms cleaned by a certain time, but they consistently knocked on the door at random times beginning at 8:00AM to see if the room was vacant. One morning I returned to the room after a meeting and there was a very sharp, loud knock made with some kind of metal object like a key at 11:00AM. I did not care if the room was cleaned while I was present, but the staff who knocked seemed to be a supervisor. She seemed irritated that I was still in the room... even though I was not checking out that day. (The woman who usually cleaned the room was standing a few feet down the hallway, as if waiting for instructions. She was consistently polite, so I do not want anything I have written to cause her any difficulties).

It seems as though there was no communication with the housekeeping staff about which rooms were vacated. While the rooms were clean, my brief interaction with that woman who seemed to be in some housekeeping supervisory capacity was the only person during my stay at the Grand Hyatt who was less than professional.

If you have read this far, I hope you have found this information to be helpful.

Room Tip: I took the advice I read here about getting a room facing the exterior (not the atrium inside). My r...
2  Thank Special_Deluxe
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt while on a business trip and generally enjoyed the experience. It is extremely large and a little impersonal, but the room was fine, and the service was good. The location is also excellent!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank BostonianBrit
Reviewed 10 December 2013

This is a good Grand Hyatt that I have stayed at a couple times. Lots of elevators make staying on the higher floors painless. You can also get to the Metro without stepping outside.

The layout of this hotel is a big square with a large atrium in the middle. Half of the rooms have an outside view and the other half look into the atrium. If you want to avoid the noise from large groups late at night, I would avoid staying in one of the inside rooms. You can't pick inside vs. outside via the self-check-in kiosks but you can make your request if checking in via the front desk staff.

1  Thank wajlee
Reviewed 7 December 2013

had great four night stay at the Grand Hyatt. Christmas decorations were neat. Hotel staff was extremely courteous and very helpful. check in experience was very efficient. room was large and spacious. wait staff was extremely courteous. other staff went out of their way to be helpful. Great location in downtown DC

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Thank you so much for providing your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Grand Hyatt Washington. I'm so happy that you enjoyed your stay and our wonderful staff. The hotel is such a magical place during the holidays and I'm so glad you were able to enjoy that. I will certainly forward all your feedback to our management team.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

I stayed at this place for a couple of days last month, and the experience was awesome. The ambiance of the place is fabulous and I loved the room atmosphere. I would suggest staying here if you can afford it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you so much for providing your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Grand Hyatt Washington. I'm so delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our great accommodations. I will forward your feedback to our management team.

We would love to have you back and hope to see you soon. Thanks for choosing Hyatt.