“Grand hotel with heating issues”

Grand Hyatt Washington
Ranked #71 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We stayed in this hotel for a week during some days of snow. On arrival we were surprised to find, that a hotel such as this was not able to have its flagship restaurant heated. It improved over the week (we checked, but didn't eat there again). Otherwise the hotel had all the comforts and amenities of a big hotel. It's location is great for both business and leisure and we have no other complaints

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

Traveled to DC with family just after Christmas. Hotel is centrally located with inside access to Metro. Very friendly and helpful staff. Upgrade to concierge well worth it. Only complaint would be daily parking fee, but that may be due to lack of big city experience. Will return

• Stayed: December 2013
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

I'm so happy that you enjoyed the hotel and our convenient locations. I'm so happy that you enjoyed our wonderful staff. We would love to have you back and hope to see you soon.

Becky S-Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here December 27th thru the 1st. Room rate was $100 per night. I think going rate is $400 per night but do not think it is worth higher price but loved it for family for $100. Service great. Rooms quite and extremely clean. Indoor pool small. Movie night for kids was nice. Liked crowd at Capital Brewing Company across the street rather than hotel sports bar.

• Stayed: December 2013
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Grand Hyatt Washington. I'm so happy that you enjoyed your stay and our beautiful rooms. I'm so happy that the kids enjoyed the movie. I will certainly forward all your feedback to our management team.

We would love to welcome you back again and hope to see you soon. Thanks for choosing Hyatt.

Becky S

Reviewed 29 December 2013

This is our third trip to this Hotel, it is a beautiful hotel, the rooms are roomy and well decorated. The hotel staff is very attentive, and you are within walking distance to all of the must see attractions. The Grand Slam (restaurant) in the hotel is also a place to add to your to do list. We were very suprised when we received a complimentary bottle of wine and chocolates, along with a personal note from our waitress (MiMi), we mentioned that we had run into alot of traffic on our trip to the hotel, and Mimi hoped that the wine and chocolates would help us relax. We visited Arlington Cemetary on this trip and it was an easy commute on the Metro, entrance from the hotel made it so comfortable. The changing of the guards at the tomb of the unknown soldier is a must see for everyone. Oh and the Buffet breakfast was excellent !!

Room Tip: Ask for atrium view !!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Thank you for going out of your way to provide feedback on your stay. It is fantastic to hear that you enjoy our hotel so much that you have returned several times! I’m glad you find our location to be so convenient for walking to the local attractions. It is great that Mimi was able to go above and beyond to help you relax a bit after the difficulties you had with traffic. I’m happy that you found our close proximity to the Metro station to be advantageous. I hope we can welcome you back to our hotel again soon.

Abrea H – A Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed 28 December 2013

What a great place to stay if you're planning to walk the city or take the metro. You can access the metro station from the hotel - awesome. We were there one night and walked to The White House, Ford's Theater and generally around the city. It felt safe and was well populated for an evening stroll. The hotel was beautifully maintained and decorated for Christmas. We visited the Grand Slam to watch some football and have dessert after our walk. The server was extremely nice to our son and even brought him an extra serving for being polite. Nice touch! We stayed in an interior, atrium room and it was extremely quiet throughout the night. Very good buffet breakfast in the morning enjoying the view of the atrium. Also had good service by the bell hop as we stored our luggage for the day until a town car picked us up.

We tried the Web check-in for the first time. Positive - super easy to check in and have a key card printed. Negative - you miss out on the personal touch of checking in. The warm welcome, usage of your name, offer to assist, etc. We know this because we experienced both. The room assigned via the web check-in was already occupied although we had working keys. So, that's a safety concern. We immediately returned to the front desk and they were very apologetic and assigned a new room. When I checked our bill the next morning, our original assigned room had charged $97 for breakfast which was billed to us. Again, a trip to the desk corrected the problem. Ironically enough, the other people had just checked out. I guess they got free breakfast! In summary, might want to let them "break in" the new Web check-in system and get the bugs out before using it.

Would we stay here again? Absolutely. It was beautiful, the people were friendly and the location was awesome.

Room Tip: The atrium rooms are very quiet and you are relatively shielded from outside noise (and weather). R...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TMBOOTH

Thank you for taking time to share feedback on your stay at the Grand Hyatt Washington. I’m glad to hear that you find our location to be convenient, both for walking to local attractions and also for the access to the Metro. It is fantastic that you enjoyed dessert in Grand Slam, as well as the breakfast buffet in the morning. I’m pleased to hear that you had such excellent service from the bell hop to the water to the front desk staff. I hope we can welcome you back to our hotel again soon.

Abrea H – A Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Typical American luxury class on a superb location. All city highlights within walking distance! Acces to Metro from lobby, with direct connections to Union Station and International Airport. China Town nearby for affordable dining options. Room has all required amenities, including coffee maker. Starbucks is within premises. Offer and service in restaurant is below expectation and rather expensive. Big fitness with indoor pool for hotel guests! The friendly receptionist gave us free wifi internet!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I just spent 4 nights here with my daughter who was finishing up a college project. Now I'm not going to say how much my room cost, because I got the "bed and breakfast" rate, and it was totally worth it. The breakfast buffet is normally $24 (and quite honestly it is the BEST buffet I have ever seen)- and for the 2 of us, it was actually a time and money saver. We had the buffet each morning and weren't even hungry until late afternoon, where we could then just have a snack from the vendors or cafés and that would hold us until lunch. Since the mall museums and attractions aren't near any real restaurants, this was a huge factor in saving us time and money. This buffet not only has a varied, extensive menu, they have organic, gluten free offerings as well. The fresh squeezed juice, omelet station, pastries, breads, oh gosh, it was all great. There is definitely something for everyone no matter what country you're from or dietary need you might have.
The other option that the Grand Hyatt has is a direct link to the metro. I took the metro in from the airport at night- no walking around outside by myself- just walk thru the door and you are inside. This also came in handy for using the metro every day. We felt much safer using the metro this way rather than walking outside at dark to a nearby station. And we stayed a lot drier on the rainy days!
The staff is very friendly and helpful. Brenden at the front desk and Martha who made my omelet stood out for their friendly service!
I only had one complaint- there were dirty dishes left in the hallway for 2+days. I'm not sure whose job it would be to remove these items before they got stinky or moldy, but it must not be housekeeping, because they cleaned our room twice and they were still in the hall when we left.... Surely there is a system in place to take care of this type of item...
This is definitely where I will be staying the next time I'm in DC!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank sklnurse2
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear skinurse2,

Thank you for sharing comments about your experience with your daughter at our Grand Hyatt Washington. It is great to hear how much you enjoyed the delicious breakfast buffet and the healthy options available to you. I will share your praise with our Executive Chef. I am glad you were able to utilize the metro to traverse the city and suburbs. It will be my pleasure to welcome you back as our guests, on your next visit to Washington DC.

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate