“Excellent deal with AAA”

Grand Hyatt Washington
Ranked #72 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 9 February 2014

My husband and I took a local trip to DC for a nice weekend together. We're budget-conscious so the primary deciding factors were first, cost and second, ease of location from Metro combined with access to activities and restaurants.

When I saw a deal for AAA members--"Free breakfast buffet for 2," that sealed it. Our $107 rate was even better when it includes the price of breakfast for 2! And the buffet was excellent. First day featured specialties of apple strudel and baked apples with an oat & raisin topping, second day had individual cinnamon rolls and biscuits topped with turkey, eggs and cheese. Both days offered such a variety of fruit (6-8 types) plus the standard breakfast fare (scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, grits, etc.) while also adding a variety of interesting options like chicken sausage. There were also multiple types of quality bagels with lox as an optional side. Omelette station was available too, with at least a couple dozen ingredients as an option. I think my favorite "dimension" of the brunch meal was how many extras they offer--a whole bunch of nuts/seeds (near the cereals), and many toppings-fresh cinnamon apples, lemon curd, etc. near the pancakes. This makes it simple for you to create your own twist on various dishes (i.e. lemon curd or cinnamon apples on your bagel or a piece of bread!)

The one brief hiccup/moment where I questioned myself turned out to be not an issue--after our first breakfast, our bill of $60 was brought to us. (The servers were all very familiar with the AAA rate.) It already included a 15% gratuity and tax for the meal--an additional $12 to our $48 meal. I started to wonder if the AAA rate covered just the $48, and not the additional $12 in charges. When I checked out of the Hyatt though, there were no additional charges to the room. So it seems all $60 was covered both days. Nice to see no strings attached with this deal!

So the breakfast buffet and its service was excellent. The adjacent fountains/water were peaceful and made for a nice ambiance as well.

General hotel service was great too--very friendly and helpful, but not often needed by us. At check-in, I requested a room with a view of the atrium on a higher floor--we were on the 6th floor and also did not have any connecting/adjoining doors to another room. It was very quiet and I enjoyed the atrium view. If you don't want a long walk from the elevator, be sure to mention that when checking in. Our room (in the 640s) was a 2-min fast-paced walk from the elevator

Our room and bathroom was clean, and I appreciated the power outlets attached to the bed. The headboard of the bed had the option of being electrically lit up, which was a neat feature as well. There were also 2 individual reading lights attached to our king bed. Mini-fridge was useful for leftover food.

Additionally, the location and ease of access to Metro could not be beat. Didn't even have to go outside to access the hotel -- take the 11th & G St exit and there's a door that leads you towards the hotel just after you exit the Metro Center station.

Vicinity to downtown was fantastic as well. Very close to the Verizon Center, Spy Museum, National Portrait Gallery, Smithsonian, White House, etc. I appreciated that we could wait until the morning of to make a decision about what to do, given its equidistant location to various vicinities. All in all, this made for a relaxing weekend! We would definitely return to take advantage of this deal again, if it is offered.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank oriolesno9
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

I am glad to hear that you had a great stay at the Grand Hyatt and were able to take advantage of the AAA breakfast offer. Thank you for sharing you experience and saying how you liked your room amenities and the location of the hotel. I hope you get the chance to stay with us again soon.

John S-Guest Relations Associate

Write a ReviewReviews (5,008)

Reviewed 6 February 2014

The hotel is beautiful and staff was very kind. It was very helpful having such easy access to the metro stop.

However, the room was not very clean. Hair in the bathroom, and the conditioner was left over from the previous guest. Bathrooms in the conference area need attention to details in cleaning.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 February 2014

My favorite hotel in DC continues to shine. Easy of check in, Great location for walking and the metro, solid service, comfortable beds and pillow, and clean. My only issue is that the towels are a bit worn and rough, I'd look to replace those soon.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Hello ctwino!

Thank you for taking the time to share your stay experience at the Grand Hyatt Washington. I am so happy to hear that you continue to stay with us at this location and you find it the most convenient and clean hotel around! I will be sure to forward your comments about the worn towels to our executive management team to ensure our future guests do not have the same challenges. We cannot wait to welcome you back on your next trip to Washington D.C.

Safe Travels,

Drew D.-Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed 2 February 2014

We stayed here for two nights and had zero complaints. staff are helpful and friendly. Rooms are mostly standard. I would recommend asking for a room with a view of the Atrium. Location is central and ideal if you want explore the city by foot.

Room Tip: ask for an Atrium view
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kiracallahan
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I was able to get a wonderful rate at this hotel for one night under a AAA package that was offered by the Grand Hyatt. A double/double room with free breakfast (gratuity included) was only $107. Considering the breakfast buffet for two would have been about $60 with tip, this was the steal of the century.

The hotel was spotless, and the massive soaring lobby was both impressive and comfortable. All the staff members I encountered were friendly, courteous and professional. The room was well appointed and handsomely decorated. Beds with crisp linens and soft pillows provided a restful night of sleep. Plug ins for electronics were actually right by the bedside (in the headboard itself) so it made it easy to use your device while charging it.

The metro stop was easily accessed through the hotel, so it made zipping around the Capital a breeze. There were plenty of eateries, shops, stores etc. nearby. Of course, having the free breakfast, I stayed in the hotel to eat. Not being a fan of buffets, I was truly impressed with the Hyatt's. The presentation, selection and variety were excellent.....I only wish I had a bigger stomach. I passed on many offerings like lox and bagels, individual biscuits topped with eggs, cheese and turkey, pastries, croissants, soppressata, pancakes, granola, greek yogurt, etc.

What in the world did I eat then? A wonderful individually prepared vegetable egg beater omelet with spinach, tomatoes, onions, peppers, mushrooms and swiss cheese, juicy watermelon and pineapple slices and just a scoop of some decadent bread pudding. It was enough, and it was all the right stuff. A big plus, was that the restaurant was located under a canopy of trees and next to an indoor "pond" on the lower level. It certainly created a calming environment to enjoy some really good food.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank llpupa
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

Hotel was clean and bed comfy, staff was nice. I'm dropping two stars because each time I called or looked for the consierge he wasn't there either got the empty desk or the answering machine. Also no water in the room.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Stayed at this hotel from 1/21-1/25/2014. We were there for an academic conference. The location can't be beat! A fairly short walk to nearby restaurants and museums. One great thing is that the Metro goes from the airport right to the hotel. Made going to other places such as the National Mall a short, inexpensive jaunt. The room was gorgeous, however it wasn't as clean as I would have expected. Saw an inch of dust on the bottom of the desk chair. I could almost swear the bath mat was just refolded and placed back on the rack one day. One day our beds looked the same way we left them that morning. Not sure anything was done. Dust on furniture. So all in all I found the service to be just average. Plus internet in the room was an additional charge. With a property boasting of so many amenities, I was surprised by this. Complimentary internet could only be accessed from Starbucks or the Deli downstairs.

Because of the fabulous location and the decor, along with the in hotel amenities, I do give this hotel a "very good" rating. There were decent sales in the two gift shops, but overall things were very pricey. I paid $8 for a small bag of dried fruit! The conference facilities were acceptable. Food in the bistro boasting to be one of the best lunch spots in DC- The Cure, had mediocre food, and my salad had the bleu cheese I requested not be added. Didn't eat at the sports bar. Deli food was adequate, yet pricey. Starbucks is on site.

The major drawbacks for me were the lack of consistent cleanliness and daily room service, and no in room complimentary internet. I would probably stay here again if I was attending a conference or wanted to be located centrally to all DC has to offer attractions wise.

Room Tip: Keep an eye on services to make sure the room is truly cleaned daily. Decor is lovely, daily service...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business