My husband and I took a local trip to DC for a nice weekend together. We're budget-conscious so the primary deciding factors were first, cost and second, ease of location from Metro combined with access to activities and restaurants.
When I saw a deal for AAA members--"Free breakfast buffet for 2," that sealed it. Our $107 rate was even better when it includes the price of breakfast for 2! And the buffet was excellent. First day featured specialties of apple strudel and baked apples with an oat & raisin topping, second day had individual cinnamon rolls and biscuits topped with turkey, eggs and cheese. Both days offered such a variety of fruit (6-8 types) plus the standard breakfast fare (scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, grits, etc.) while also adding a variety of interesting options like chicken sausage. There were also multiple types of quality bagels with lox as an optional side. Omelette station was available too, with at least a couple dozen ingredients as an option. I think my favorite "dimension" of the brunch meal was how many extras they offer--a whole bunch of nuts/seeds (near the cereals), and many toppings-fresh cinnamon apples, lemon curd, etc. near the pancakes. This makes it simple for you to create your own twist on various dishes (i.e. lemon curd or cinnamon apples on your bagel or a piece of bread!)
The one brief hiccup/moment where I questioned myself turned out to be not an issue--after our first breakfast, our bill of $60 was brought to us. (The servers were all very familiar with the AAA rate.) It already included a 15% gratuity and tax for the meal--an additional $12 to our $48 meal. I started to wonder if the AAA rate covered just the $48, and not the additional $12 in charges. When I checked out of the Hyatt though, there were no additional charges to the room. So it seems all $60 was covered both days. Nice to see no strings attached with this deal!
So the breakfast buffet and its service was excellent. The adjacent fountains/water were peaceful and made for a nice ambiance as well.
General hotel service was great too--very friendly and helpful, but not often needed by us. At check-in, I requested a room with a view of the atrium on a higher floor--we were on the 6th floor and also did not have any connecting/adjoining doors to another room. It was very quiet and I enjoyed the atrium view. If you don't want a long walk from the elevator, be sure to mention that when checking in. Our room (in the 640s) was a 2-min fast-paced walk from the elevator
Our room and bathroom was clean, and I appreciated the power outlets attached to the bed. The headboard of the bed had the option of being electrically lit up, which was a neat feature as well. There were also 2 individual reading lights attached to our king bed. Mini-fridge was useful for leftover food.
Additionally, the location and ease of access to Metro could not be beat. Didn't even have to go outside to access the hotel -- take the 11th & G St exit and there's a door that leads you towards the hotel just after you exit the Metro Center station.
Vicinity to downtown was fantastic as well. Very close to the Verizon Center, Spy Museum, National Portrait Gallery, Smithsonian, White House, etc. I appreciated that we could wait until the morning of to make a decision about what to do, given its equidistant location to various vicinities. All in all, this made for a relaxing weekend! We would definitely return to take advantage of this deal again, if it is offered.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Centrally located in downtown City Center- with convenient in-lobby Metro Center access - this Washington DC hotel is an ideal spot to explore the Nation's Capitol. Enjoy stylish guestrooms with plush Grand Beds™, indulgent amenities and multiple dining venues. Utilize our full-service business center and 32 outstanding meeting rooms - just steps from Washington Convention Center. Escape to extraordinary elegance at Grand Hyatt Washington. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Southall Travel, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Grand Hyatt Washington reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hyatt Washington Hotel Washington Dc
- Grand Hyatt Washington Dc
- Hyatt Washington Dc
- Washington Dc Hyatt