“Outstanding location”

Grand Hyatt Washington
Ranked #71 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

If you are in DC to do business on Capitol Hill then this is the place to stay. Everything is within walking distance.
It's very comfortable with the rooms set up to accomplish your business.
The reason I didn't give it 5 stars is they still charge for internet access which very few high end hotels do anymore and their restaurant is just ok and very pricey.
Rooms are very clean and in excellent repair. Staff is very friendly and very helpful.
I will stay here again when in town.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Brusta60

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Stayed a night at the Grand Hyatt for business. The place is large with rooms that face into the atrium or out onto the City. The room was reasonably sized, clean. Bed was comfortable. Bathroom was spotless. All great things. That said, felt a little soulless. Had a friend who was staying a couple of metro stops away at a Hilton Garden Inn - the rooms there had more character.

The exercise facility and pool are nice. The exercise room was packed at 5:45 AM. Jumped on an elliptical - all set for no more than 30 minutes. Service at the front desk and the exercise facility was great.

One of the major advantages is that if you have business on the Hill - it's all very close. There is a metro stop off the red line that stops underneath the hotel. Very convenient when going to DCA.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Dough_47N
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We spent one night here in two adjoining rooms. At first we were quite put off by the fact that the rooms looked into the enclosed inner-courtyard/atrium, but once we got used to the idea of not being able to see outside, it was all very pleasant. The rooms are very clean, and though the low ceilings and low lighting give them a 70s vibe they are elegantly-furnished and comfortable. The bathrooms were great. Service was fantastic. Had an issue with the bathroom (seems to happen to us quite often -- so we have point of reference as to how responsive hotel plumbers are!) which was resolved immediately with much apology. Front desk folks were also outstanding. We left very early in the morning and everyone from front desk to bell hops bent over backwards to assure we had a smooth departure. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Internal rooms aren't as bad as one would think. Didn't see an outward-facing room, but we...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Great customer service! The front desk, bell, door men, servers, club lounge staff are very polite and professional. The one and only female bartender at the Cure bar was super awesome and bartenders at the sports bar were excellent. All dishes were great. I don't hesitate to recommend this hotel.
The only issue was the cleanness of my room. I saw a blonde hair in the bathtub and short black hair in the back of the toilet seat when I checked in. Even I left $5-$10 for the housekeepers, they could not clean the room nicely and even didn't get a shampoo. I left a memo to the housekeeper to get extra amenities; however, my request was neglected. One afternoon, at 3:12pm, I requested my room to be cleaned. However, the room was not cleaned. I postponed my check out more than once. So I understood the housekeeper expected me to check out the room on those days. However, I placed the "do-not-disturb" sign on those days, am a Diamond member, and would be allowed to stay in the room 4pm. The same housekeeping lady still knocked the door. After I informed to the front desk, then, the department brought its fitness center guy to bang (not knock) the door. He was very loud and argumentative. He flashed the scheduled sheet and refused to leave me alone even after I told him to talk to the front desk. I was sick at that time. A better protocol is to have someone call a guest, whenever he/she places the sign. I was lucky to be in the room. Otherwise, this fitness center guy and the housekeeper might have discarded my personal belongings. I have never known any other hotels where the housekeeping department allows a fitness center person to help the housekeeping duties. His attitude didn't seem to meet the hotel's customer service guidelines. Again, I don't hesitate anyone to recommended this hotel, but be aware of the cleanness of the room. There were many tourists during my stay and my privacy sign disappeared three times. Twice took place within 6 hours.

• Stayed: January 2014
3  Thank Whisper808
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Grand Hyatt Washington. I'm so sorry to hear about the experience you had with the housekeeping. You can be assured that I will certainly forward this to our management team so that this can be addressed. I am happy to hear about the great service you received from our other associates. All you feedback will be forwarded to our management team.

We thank you for your loyalty as a Diamond member and hope to see you again soon. Thanks for choosing Hyatt.

Becky S

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Stayed at the Grand Hyatt on Business and the hotel is nice, not sure I would say it is grand, but it is nice. Great staff at the front desk and in the bar area, the only two areas I visited in the hotel. My two big issues with the hotel is the noise. If you plan on getting any sleep at all get an interior that faces the atrium. If you face the street you might as well sleep on the street, you can hear everything. My other comment is the pillows, they are very very small. So between pillows and noise, I got very little sleep.

Room Tip: As for rooms facing the inside of the hotel
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We stayed one night recently when we were in town for a Wizards game. Because of the AAA rate, the proximity to the Verizon Center, and the fact that breakfast was included, we stayed at the Grand Hyatt. From the moment we stepped into the beautiful lobby, we had a great experience. The front desk clerk could not be friendlier and made a huge fuss over our kids. He arranged for milk and cookies (which turned out to be milk, cookies, and fruit) to be brought to our room later in the evening. They made a very big deal, which we appreciate, of us being Hyatt Gold members.

We took advantage of the pool and the fitness center (excellent facilities). The breakfast the following morning was top notch with a huge variety of options. I loved the central location, near the metro, Penn Quarter restaurants, China Town, Spy Museum, etc.

We would definitely stay at this hotel again. Two things, however. One, they gave us a 'city view,' on the 10th floor, which was really a view of the building across the street (not the mall or capital as you might have inferred). And, as mentioned by another guest, I am not sure they change the shampoo bottles/lotions between guests. Still, the room was quiet, comfortable, and I would not hesitate to be a frequent visitor.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your recent stay. I’m glad to hear that you had a terrific experience from the moment that you arrived. It’s great that the front desk agent helped to make stay fun for your children with milk and cookies. I am pleased that you were able to take advantage of the pool and fitness center. It is fantastic that you had a rate great rate that included breakfast and I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed the many offerings of the breakfast buffet. We will look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again in the future!

Abrea H – A Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed 9 February 2014

My husband and I took a local trip to DC for a nice weekend together. We're budget-conscious so the primary deciding factors were first, cost and second, ease of location from Metro combined with access to activities and restaurants.

When I saw a deal for AAA members--"Free breakfast buffet for 2," that sealed it. Our $107 rate was even better when it includes the price of breakfast for 2! And the buffet was excellent. First day featured specialties of apple strudel and baked apples with an oat & raisin topping, second day had individual cinnamon rolls and biscuits topped with turkey, eggs and cheese. Both days offered such a variety of fruit (6-8 types) plus the standard breakfast fare (scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, grits, etc.) while also adding a variety of interesting options like chicken sausage. There were also multiple types of quality bagels with lox as an optional side. Omelette station was available too, with at least a couple dozen ingredients as an option. I think my favorite "dimension" of the brunch meal was how many extras they offer--a whole bunch of nuts/seeds (near the cereals), and many toppings-fresh cinnamon apples, lemon curd, etc. near the pancakes. This makes it simple for you to create your own twist on various dishes (i.e. lemon curd or cinnamon apples on your bagel or a piece of bread!)

The one brief hiccup/moment where I questioned myself turned out to be not an issue--after our first breakfast, our bill of $60 was brought to us. (The servers were all very familiar with the AAA rate.) It already included a 15% gratuity and tax for the meal--an additional $12 to our $48 meal. I started to wonder if the AAA rate covered just the $48, and not the additional $12 in charges. When I checked out of the Hyatt though, there were no additional charges to the room. So it seems all $60 was covered both days. Nice to see no strings attached with this deal!

So the breakfast buffet and its service was excellent. The adjacent fountains/water were peaceful and made for a nice ambiance as well.

General hotel service was great too--very friendly and helpful, but not often needed by us. At check-in, I requested a room with a view of the atrium on a higher floor--we were on the 6th floor and also did not have any connecting/adjoining doors to another room. It was very quiet and I enjoyed the atrium view. If you don't want a long walk from the elevator, be sure to mention that when checking in. Our room (in the 640s) was a 2-min fast-paced walk from the elevator

Our room and bathroom was clean, and I appreciated the power outlets attached to the bed. The headboard of the bed had the option of being electrically lit up, which was a neat feature as well. There were also 2 individual reading lights attached to our king bed. Mini-fridge was useful for leftover food.

Additionally, the location and ease of access to Metro could not be beat. Didn't even have to go outside to access the hotel -- take the 11th & G St exit and there's a door that leads you towards the hotel just after you exit the Metro Center station.

Vicinity to downtown was fantastic as well. Very close to the Verizon Center, Spy Museum, National Portrait Gallery, Smithsonian, White House, etc. I appreciated that we could wait until the morning of to make a decision about what to do, given its equidistant location to various vicinities. All in all, this made for a relaxing weekend! We would definitely return to take advantage of this deal again, if it is offered.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank oriolesno9
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

I am glad to hear that you had a great stay at the Grand Hyatt and were able to take advantage of the AAA breakfast offer. Thank you for sharing you experience and saying how you liked your room amenities and the location of the hotel. I hope you get the chance to stay with us again soon.

John S-Guest Relations Associate