“A Totally Forgettable Experience”

Grand Hyatt Washington
Ranked #71 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 2 April 2014

This Hyatt is well located adjacent to the metro and close to the convention center. The lobby contains a Starbucks but almost nowhere else to sit or meet someone. Check-in is efficient. My room was small and a very long walk from the elevator. The decor was totally nondescript and forgettable. The desk was very small and they charge for internet access.

Room service seemed overpriced but the sandwich I ordered was OK. I wanted to eat at one of the restaurants one evening, but Cure was packed with suits at a convention, lined 3 deep at the bar, and Grand Slam, their sports bar was empty and dreary. But there are good restaurant options in the neighborhood.

In summary, a very ordinary hotel. Not terrible, just nothing to really recommend it.

Room Tip: Atrium view from a high floor is nice.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Grand Hyatt Washington

Reviewed 31 March 2014

No complaints. Check in was easy. Friendly staff. Beautiful hotel. The restaurant was excellent. Stayed on the 12th floor where a nice assortment of food was presented. The gym was small but still had a great workout. Only concern is the noise of the city. Despite being on the 12th floor, the traffic was loud. I travel with earplugs so it wasn't much of a problem. Best aspect of the hotel is the direct access to the Metro station. I was able to stay dry even though it rained through most of my stay. The Metro access really made the hotel for me.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Was here for a business meeting a week or so ago. This is a beautiful hotel visually, with a soaring lobby and rooms arranged around the perimeter. However, the rooms themselves, while spacious, are spartan and my room, at least, had a number of glitches that made the stay less than Grand! The room had virtually no decoration--only a single black and white photo on a vast expanse of empty wall. Facing the interior, cellphone signal was so weak it was difficult to make/receive calls. The shower took several minutes for warm water to appear, despite only being on the 2nd floor. And, c'mon Hyatt--in a "grand" hotel, still having those little one cup coffee makers and no minibar and no complimentary bottled water really makes you appear cheap! How about making this hotel really "grand" in service and amenities, not just appearance? A better experience leads to better ratings!

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Located near a metro stop and Chinatown. My room was clean and comfortable. Room was ready for early check in. Multiple options for dining in hotel and nearby. Starbucks and casual cafe in lobby were convenient.

Room Tip: choice on interior or street facing rooms
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I just returned from a three night stay at the Grand Hyatt in Washington D.C. The reception staff was pleasant and helpful. The lobby is wide open and a good place to wait if you're meeting someone. The location is incredible - very central and you can walk right into the connected Metro (Metro Center) to get to anywhere near a Metro stop, relatively quickly.
The rooms require updating and they could've been cleaned better. There were crumbs and an M&M on the floor. (Ick.) The bathroom was clean but a little worn and the layout was poor (one of those situations where the instinctual locations for things are not where they are installed. e.g. The toilet paper holder is not to the side of the toilet - it is sharply to be side & behind - leaving you wondering "why'd they put it there?" each time you need to use it. The hand towel and bathmat hang under the sink area, etc. - just a bit odd.) The beds were comfortable and there was a huge flatscreen TV in the room (which I didn't use - but some may find a big perk.) The closet was very dark, worn, and on the small side. The luggage rack had also seen better days but it did the job.
Cure bar had a tasty cheese plate and a nice wine - but the service was very slow bot times I went (one, I was just relaxing so it didn't matter - the second time, I really wanted the check and ended up waiting about 20 minutes just to get it)
There is a shoe-shine station in the lobby between the Metro Center glass doors and the gift shop (there are two gift shops, just to be clear, but they are directly next to each other) which is overpriced even for a hotel shoeshine but the man did a very good job with the shine.
The concierge was very quick, helpful, and friendly. There is a Starbucks in the lobby (naturally) that is efficient and good. Lots of tables to sit, have your coffee and do a bit of work. I didnt have occasion to use the deli attached tot he Starbucks or to go to the other restaurant, but I'd heard good things about the restaurant and the deli seems very convenient.
There is valet parking, but since we were not going to use the car during our stay, we self-parked (no in & out privileges with that) at the garage located also through the glass Metro Center doors & has its own elevator and pay station. (Around $35 per day for the parking - I cannot remember the exact figure - but less than the valet)
Overall, the location couldn't be beat and the rooms require a bit of help - and some better servicing.

Room Tip: Rooms with an atrium view can be a bit quieter. Though, the rooms with views of the city can be ligh...
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I booked my stay directly through their website. After completing my reservation, a popup appeared offering me various room upgrades-all with city views, for a very reasonable price and I checked the box indicating I would be interested if one were available. Upon checking in, they told me there were no rooms with views available. When I checked out however, they charged me $10 + tax per day for room upgrade. When I inquired why, they stated I had an "upper level" upgrade which I was never told about when I checked in. Besides, I was on floor 7 of 12 floors. Really, that's upper level? The view by the way was of the interior lobby of the hotel which has no sunlight so it's like sleeping in a basement. Also, like other hotels, they charge you a hotel usage fee but you have to pay for any use (other than the fitness center). For example, I needed to use the business center, but they charge you .59 cents a minute to use their computers whether or not it's the internet. I did not have my laptop (to pay $15 a day for internet access) and I needed to work for several hours so I walked over to the Martin Luther King Jr Library to use theirs for free. Bellstaff, concierge and valet were very nice and professional and bed was incredibly comfortable. Restaurants food was good but way overpriced. but I think their room upgrade choices are a deliberate tactic to get more $$$ out of clients not willing to fight or or not noticing it on their bill. I'd expect much more when paying $350 a night for this hotel. Hyatt chain is out for me in future stays.

Room Tip: Don't click on any suggestions to get a good upgrade rate on your room as they will bait and swi...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Grand Hyatt Washington in DC. Despite that the great service offered by our concierge and valet staff, I am sorry to hear that you were charged for an upgrade that was not honored at time of check-in and you were charged for the usage of the business center. Please be assured that I will be in contact with our hotel's executive management team in an effort to address your concerns you mentioned in your online review and to ensure that future guests do not experience the challenges that you have described. Please feel free to contact us via e-mail at social.media@hyatt.com or by contacting our Hyatt Guest Relations department by phone at 1-800-323-7249 or by e-mail at caemail@hyatt.com if you wish to discuss further your concerns regarding your stay.

I really hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide the excellent service that is indicative of Hyatt.

Johny E.-A Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I went here on my honeymoon the day after Christmas. My wife could not believe what an outstanding hotel this was for the price we paid. I got a group on deal to good to pass up. The place is gorgeous. The rooms are large and very comfortable. Clean is an understatement. The hotel is huge so you can go down walk around and grab a bite to eat with various options. There's an underground exit straight from the hotel to Metro Center rail. How convenient is that! Not to mention its pretty close to China Town and walking distance to Ford's Theater. Which is walking distance to Big Red Bus Tour stop. I could go on and on but I'll just say then when in DC I will always stay here. Highly recommend it.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tere M
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Congratulations! I'm so happy you enjoyed the hotel and it's convenient location. I'm happy to enjoyed our beautiful, spacious rooms and the great amenities they offer. We would love to welcome you back and hope to see you soon. Thank you for choosing Hyatt.

Becky S