“Great location, but a little tired and old”

Grand Hyatt Washington
Ranked #73 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
“Great location, but a little tired and old”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I have recently stayed at the Grand Hyatt on two occasions. On the first occasion my room did not meet the cleanliness standards I expected of a 5* hotel. There was a strand of hair on the wall behind the shower for my entire stay and then as I was getting ready to check out I noticed someone elses conference bag was left by the desk in the room. The hotel were quick to respond when I completed the survey and assured me that it was not their usual standard and that this would be addressed.

I have just returned from my second stay, and again the cleanliness was not to what I would expect. The glass shelf in the bathroom had dirty marks on it and the glass top in the room also had desks. Whilst there I actually reached out to the Assistant Director of Rooms who I had previously been in contact with to draw her attention to this. Sadly I got no response.

The hotel is an old hotel and the rooms could all do with an uplift. The air conditioning was very cranky and noisy and the lifts are exceptionally slow. Would certainly recommend rooms on the low floors, if not first floor so you can use the stairs.

The positives on the hotel are it is located in a great area, close to the White House, Washington Monument, National Mall and China Town.

2 Thank CazRiyadh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (777)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bellevue, United States
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Enjoyed our stay in DC. Hotel was in a great location and had all we needed for a comfortable trip. Concierge staff was very helpful, and front dest staff was also very helpful with any questions or needs.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
I am happy you enjoyed the location, concierge, and the front desk staff. I hope you can stay with the Grand Hyatt Washington again soon.

-John S, Guest Relations Associate
Atlanta, GA, United States
Reviewed 14 July 2014

When staying at the Hyatt you expect a certain quality and security. This hotel in Washing D.C. met and exceeded both. Beautifully decorated, every possible thing was thought of. I left my speech on my car seat at the airport - the Business Center is open 24/7 and was a great help to me. Thank you Grand Hyatt!

1 Thank Vickie P
HyattGuestRelations, A Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at the Grand Hyatt Washington; I am thrilled to learn you enjoyed your time with us. It is fantastic to hear that you enjoyed our décor, and found our business center availability to be helpful; especially after such a worrisome experience. It is a joy to learn that we exceeded your expectations, and I very much hope we will be able to welcome you back on your next visit to the Washington D.C. area.

Allie H. –A Guest Relations Associate
Boston, United States
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Great place to stay when visiting DC. Nice hotel close to great restaurants and local attractions. Rooms are clean and well attended. Great place for conferences, though as usual air conditioning can be a little strong in the conference areas. Overall highly recommended.

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I spent four pleasant evenings at the Grand Hyatt Washington while attending a conference. The hotel is lovely but its staff is excellent. I was warmly greeted at check-in, the concierge not only pointed me in the right direction for shopping but provided me with discount coupons, the housekeeping staff was diligent and thoughtful and, last but not least, the check-out process was seamless. Who could ask for anything more?

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
I am so happy to see that our staff treated you so well during your visit at the Grand Hyatt Washington. I hope you can stay with us again soon.

-John S, Guest Relations Associate
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We didn't really know what to expect when we checked into Washington's Grand Hyatt Hotel on business, but we were very pleasantly surprised! The location was central to everything, including the National Mall, Ford's Theater (just a few blocks away), restaurants (oh, my gosh, the food!), monuments, the Smithsonian, shopping, etc., etc. You don't need a car because the Metro (subway), the buses, the trolley, and/or reasonably-priced taxis are all easily accessible. In fact, everyone in Washington seems determined to make sure you see everything you want to see in this beautiful, romantic city. This includes the staff at the Hyatt, who were almost without exception friendly and gracious, going out of their way to help you. Rooms were large and well-appointed. We stayed on the 8th floor in a room that overlooked the Atrium, and we couldn't believe how quiet it was! What few minor annoyances we encountered (housekeeping forgot washcloths and coffee once and there was a slight issue at check-out) were quickly and politely rectified. Beds were a tad too soft for the comfort of our backs and we didn't eat at the hotel so we can't vouch for the food, but the hotel is beautiful, modest in cost for the area, clean, and staffed by folks who took pride in their work. What else can you ask for? We give it an "A"!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor overlooking the Atrium. I had read they were quieter before my visit, and I...
2 Thank OklahomaTanny
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
OklahomaTanny,

I am glad the location and the efforts of our staff made your time in D.C. very enjoyable. I hope that you will come back and visit again soon. Thank you for choosing Hyatt!

Regards,
Paul R. - Guest Relations Associate
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

The staff in the hotel were very accommodating and professional . My room was a refurbished room on the top floor and was of a very good standard. The room has a useful kitchen / dining area and a very good size lounge with modern but comfortable theme. Good location at a reasonable cost. I'd be happy to return at a later date be it for business or pleasure

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business