“School trip”

Ranked #120 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Doha, Qatar
“School trip”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

A good general hotel. Breakfasts are the strength of the Harrington, however the helpfulness of the staff was appreciated. A good central location to explore DC. Infact it was so good I am taking another group of 40 here later this year.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank 1967tazz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Fredericksburg, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This hotel was celebrating it's 100 year celebration during our stay. We stayed in a room that had two double beds and four twin beds as there was five of us and our cost was $100. This was the cost for ANY room during their celebration. As an older property, it will not suit some people's taste, especially those who have to have the best of everything. To us it had a lot of character. It had what we needed, was clean and the front desk folks were hospitable and helpful. We had breakfast from the continental buffet and it was good. They had a hot buffet which looked good, we just did not need that much food. This hotel is close to the Verizon Center and we stayed here last summer as well following an Eagles concert. This time we stayed so that we would be close to National Airport so our daughter had a 10 minute cab ride to it at 5:30 in the morning. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Teresa S
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I travelled as part of a school group, and this hotel had everything you could need for a long weekend in Washington. It had clean, warm rooms. (Well welcome after walking all day in the snow!) Breakfasts were plentiful and of a wide range - something for everyone.

The rooms were as expected for a school trip, a little behind the times, and maybe not as well maintained as they could be, yet the bedding was very clean, and the towels were changed daily.

I would definitely recommend for a short, cheap stay!

Room Tip: There are 11 floors, so bare that in mind for stairs and lifts!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank H L
Shropshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We were on a road trip on the east coast of America and we pre booked the hotel.
This was a great hotel with plenty of character, the staff were very friendly and helpful.
The hotel is situated close to all the main attractions which were within walking distance.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Peter C
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I had a month to plan an upcoming DOT conference business trip and googled hotels near the conference location. After finding Hotel Harrington, I checked out their website and saw their short YouTube video that showed their Hotel Managing Director, Ann Terry, speak about the hotel, their location, their rooms and their rates. I thought this was a great hotel until I showed up at its front doors.

When I arrived at the hotel, I walked through the first set of doors which were automatic. The second set of doors was not. I had to quickly maneuver opening the heavy door and quickly get through before it closing on me. While doing this, two individuals behind the counter just stared at me.

As I walked into the hotel lobby, I was hit with a pungent smell. It was very overwhelming! When I approached the front desk, a women was resting her chin on her hands propped up with her elbows on the counter. At first, I thought she was waiting for me to speak until I realized that she was sleeping! I excused myself and went over to the next person behind the desk. When I pointed out that his co-worker was sleeping his comments were, “Yeah, she does that. How can I help you?” I was taken aback.

The gentlemen assisted me with check in and gave me directions to my room. The hallway was eerie not to mention all the décor looked like it was from the 1800’s. As I entered into the elevator, there was a poorly written sign with blatant grammatical errors that stated there will be no running water the following morning. That didn’t sit well with me as it would be a great challenge to get ready for a conference meeting first thing in the morning. The elevator was creepy and smelled like a grease trap. I was happy when the doors opened.

As I entered my room, I was alarmed to find 3 deadbolt locks and a large sign that said to lock ALL locks at all times when in your room. The room itself was creepy. There were only 2 dim lamps to light the room, so I turned and left on the bathroom light for additional lighting. There was no closet for me to hang any of my work clothes, but a stand-alone coat rack that had 5 plastic hangers; no iron, but a blow dryer that was lying on the floor at the foot of the bed like someone threw it there from standing at the door and no electric plugs in the bathroom. I needed to charge my phone so I looked for other outlets in the room and found that the only outlets available were being used for the lamps. I had to unplug a lamp to plug in my cord, to which immediately feel out of the socket! I had to prop the small waste basket against the plug to stay in.

I had just about enough of the room within the first hour of being there, but since it was late, there wasn’t an option for me to change hotels as I had no idea where I could go at that time of the evening. As I got ready for a shower, I noticed that there were noises coming from the large vent on the side of the wall above the toilet. Imagine a scary movie with those vents in which you see hands coming from it and eyes that appear- Yup! That would be the same vent that was in the bathroom. I tried not to think about it and took the quickest shower I could! It would have been faster if the showerhead pipes weren’t protruding out of the wall and shook when the water was running.

The room was stuffy and I couldn’t get the air to turn on. After calling the front desk, the associate who answered said, “Why are you hot? We turn it off during winter since it’s already cold outside. If not open your window.” I couldn’t help but think that I need to move hotels. I got a hold of my admin assistant back in Honolulu and advised her that I was going to find another hotel. Luckily another co-worker mentioned the Comfort Inn. While it was a few blocks away from where I wanted to be, it was cleaner and safer than my current location.

I requested to check out as I was moving to another hotel. The man behind the counter left and had me wait for 10 minutes while he chatted with his friend and went to get a drink from the adjoining restaurant. He flung my receipt at me to which I had to pick up from the ground.
Needless to say, I’ve reported back to my company to remove this hotel from our internal list of places to stay in DCA.

Room Tip: The Hotel Harrington's website depicts a hotel that is not present to what you'll see and ex...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
23 Thank Kristen F

Travellers are raving about these Washington DC hotels

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Let me start this off by saying that I did my homework, and read the reviews on line, so I wasn't expecting a five star hotel. You walk in the front door, and there is a smell that hits you like a ton of bricks. Don't know where it is coming from, but it just lingers in the lobby. We then went to our room on the 11th floor, and it was in dire need of paint, and smelled really musty. There are no two outlets in the room, with all the plugs being used. I wanted to charge my phone, so I had to take out the plug for the lamp. I plugged my charger in, and the thing fell out. Really!? I wanted to turn the heat down, but there are not directions, and when I asked the front desk if there was a/c, he said to open the window. It was 18 degrees outside, I am not going to leave the window open all night while I sleep. Like I said, I wasn't expecting the Ritz, and the location of the hotel is perfect for those that want to see Washington DC.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
8 Thank Kdub808
Ottawa
Reviewed 10 February 2014

It's old, 100 this year and yes, it shows. A little rough around the edges, but while we were there they were painting the lobby. It's old, but it is clean. The rooms are small, but functional.
The staff are absolutely wonderful, they are extremely friendly and helpful. We arrived very early and they were able to have a room ready for us.
I must echo the other reviews, the best price for the the best location. Safe short walks to everything you need to see in DC. The place has an odd charm.
Want some fun? Spend a Friday night in Harry's Bar.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple