“Romantic and elegant”

Ranked #100 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Romantic and elegant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

Insanely comfortable bed (they aren't kidding about the Italian bed linens), spacious bathroom and closet, and nice amenities. The free bottled water and daily newspapers are particularly nice. This hotel is a little out-of-the-way, quiet, and perfect for an intimate romantic getaway. We were there just before Christmas and the common areas on the ground floor were decked out and extremely cozy, with nice furnishing and a fireplace. This hotel is a step above generic chain hotels, and we really enjoyed the elegant and historic feel. It's just a short walk from the Verizon Center/Chinatown area, with lots of places for eating out or having a drink. My only complaint is the construction across the street-- it was a bit disruptive in the morning, but it's obviously not the hotel's fault, and they provide earplugs (though I can't imagine sleeping in them!). And for the room rate and the value, this place really can't be beat. All in all, a great experience and we'll definitely go back!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mpeckham
Manager926, Manager at The Henley Park Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2012
Thank you for your comments. We look forward to your return visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

We stayed four nights. We booked a king deluxe room on line and on arrival were given the wrong room. The receptionist was not helpful but fortunately I had a print out of the booking form and then we got the right room. Everyone else was very pleasant and helpful.

The room was spotless and very nice. It did overlook the construction site (which looked like it would continue for a long time) and there was some noise but it wasn't intrusive. Breakfast was good. We had one dinner in the restaurant which was also good though very underpatronised. I liked the olde worlde ambience.

The internet was free which was a big plus.

The subway was very close and China Town and museums were all within a short walking distance. The area felt very safe and we walked home at night.They seem to have a resident taxi service which delivered us to Union Station at the end of our visit.

So all in all we were very happy and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kathleenx
, Manager at The Henley Park Hotel, responded to this review, 6 December 2011
Thank you for your comments; I am sorry you received the wrong room at check in, and that the Front desk staff was not very helpful. I do apologize. It does not sound like a typical day at the front desk for Henley Park. I am so sorry. I am glad you noticed the cleanliness of the room, out housekeeping staff prides itself in having one of the cleanest hotels in the city. Thanks for staying with us. We hope to see you on your return visit to Washington DC.
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

This is a comfortable place to stay -- good location, pleasant staff, nice lounge and restaurant -- and more affordable than many DC lodgings.

Room Tip: Check out an upgrade to a deluxe room; it may be well worth it.
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Tom_Rolfe
, Manager at The Henley Park Hotel, responded to this review, 1 December 2011
Thank you for sharing your comments. Glad to hear you enjoyed some of the best of Washington, Our friendly staff, our Blue Bar Lounge and the Coeur de Lion Restaurant.
Holbrook, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at the Henley for 5 nights. We wanted to take a trip to Washington since neither of us had been there since we were kids and I was lucky enough to book a very discounted rate through AAA and got a Junior Suite for $107 per night. The room was beautiful and very comfortable - like someone else mentioned, a very comfortable bed and very clean accommodations. However, like someone else mentioned, some of the drawers in the dresser were broken, and I also almost dropped one on my foot. So be careful of that. The staff was very friendly and helped us find areas in DC to eat - we never had dinner at the hotel because the prices were ridiculous. We did have one breakfast there, which was very tasty, but again, it was a lot of money for eggs and french toast. To be fair, though, there are very limited options for breakfast in the area of the hotel so we should have planned better for that. The bar in the hotel was also very nice, but my glass of wine was $12, which I thought was kind of crazy, and it closed at 10pm on Friday night which is pretty early. The area is great though (considering there is construction going on across the street on Mass and on K Street around the corner). Easy access to all of the sites; within walking distance to the Smithsonian museums and the monuments. And if something wasn't within walking distance, a member of the staff was very quick to get our car out of the valet parking garage. The fitness room is rather small, two treadmills and a bike, but complimentary bottled water and towels were provided in the room, as well as a tv for each machine (bring your own earphones to plug in for audio) which met our needs just fine. Overall, we had a great stay at the Henley Park Hotel and would consider staying there again if we find ourselves back in Washington DC.

Room Tip: Rooms facing 10th Street are quieter than those facing Massachusetts where you're looking direct...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
, Manager at The Henley Park Hotel, responded to this review, 1 December 2011
Thank you for choosing the Henley Park for your honeymoon. We are glad you would consider us again. We appreciate your comments, as we continue to improve on all service aspects of the hotel.
Edgewood, Maryland, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

I have stayed in a lot better hotels for the price they charge. The food is way over priced and good at best. The rooms are so noisey from the construction going on that they leave ear plugs on the bed. Were we supposed to share a set, or reuse them every day? No employee stood out except maybe the valet/door man. On check out, I received two bills within 30 minutes of each. I went to the front desk, and all he could say was "someone reserved your room for the 3rd, and since you didn't arrive until the 4th, we charged you". I said no way, I didn't reserve a rom for the 3rd when I knew I was not coming until Friday. Well you have to talk to "Halle". I said, well let's call "Halle" Oh, we don't have her number. So I asked him, well how do you get in touch with her if she doesn't show up for work. I am about to call my bank and dispute the charges, and believe me, I would not recommend that place to anyone!

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2011

Probably the nicest room we had on our trip through the USA with attention to detail and the fresh decor. The hotel is near the Convention Center,and only 3 or 4 blocks from downtown so it is easy to walk everywhere. It is an historic hotel and evidently family owned and it had that 'cared for' feel about it. We went to breakfast in the hotel as the dining room looked special but the aircon by our table was so cold, the waitress was quite off-hand or not interested, and therefore it was not worth the money paid - the only disappointing part of our stay there.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Remmers
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2011

Construction is going on across from the hotel which may be annoying to some people. However, we tried to be optimistic about it and viewed it as our wake up call each morning since we had to get up early to see the sights anyway.

Rooms are extremely clean and the bed was one of the most comfortable beds I've slept in. Drawers in the dresser were broken though and one almost fell on my feet when pulling it out to use it. I complained about this to the front desk and they never fixed it nor did they follow up with me to give me an explanation.

Value on the hotel varies to which night you stay. One night I paid 315 while other nights went down to 119. Overall, it's a good place to stay if you are looking for a small quaint boutique style hotel away from the crowds.

• Stayed October 2011