“great little hotel tons of charm” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Henley Park Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Henley Park Hotel
Ranked #98 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
“great little hotel tons of charm”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

this hotel is in my neighborhood, I am constantly putting up guests there when they come to visit and dont want to sleep on my air matress. This place started as a boarding house for visiting diplomats. Its got loads of charm and detail. Avoid the restatunt though, it pales in comparison to many other establishments you can easily walk to as this place is in the epicenter of DC.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Manager926, Manager at The Henley Park Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Thank you for your comments; we have been making some changes to our restaurant. We have changed the menu and introduced a new name Henley Park Café and Blue Bar. Our Chef and culinary team have done a great job in updating the menu to be more inviting to our hotel guests. We will be starting Happy Hour Entertainment in the Blue Bar in September Tuesday- Thursday nights. Hope to see you and your friends soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Polish first
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

My son and I stayed at the Henley Park for his first trip to Washington. We loved it. It's beautifully decorated, from the lobby on through to the guest rooms. Our room was about twice as large as I expected it to be (much larger than the average NYC hotel room), although the bathroom was quite small. The personnel were friendly and helpful. The room service menu wasn't all that exciting, but we ordered dessert from the bar and took it up to our room. The cheesecake was delicious, and topped with fresh strawberries, and my 12-year-old was quite impressed with the chocolate gelato.
Also, the hotel's sister property offers swimming pool privileges to Henley Park guests. It was about a four-block walk.
Our only complaint was that the Metro was farther away from our hotel than we thought it would be. Otherwise, it was a great trip, good value for the money, and a very nice hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Manager926, Manager at The Henley Park Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Thank you for your comments. I appreciate your comments about the room service menu; we are currently updating all the menus in the hotel. Thank you for staying with us.
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

I'll start off by saying that I had such a great first impression with this hotel that it is probably going to color my whole review - but you can't discount a great first impression!

Ok, not exactly the first impression. I'll echo the comment below that the directions from the metro were all wrong. I didn't wind up anywhere bad but I did pull my bag over what felt like half the city. The simplest directions are to come out at 12 & G (there are actually signs that will point you there, no signs at all for 11 & G) and turn behind the escalators - towards the Starbucks. You are now facing in the correct direction. Walk until you hit Massachusetts, turn right and walk to the hotel on 10th street. A little quicker would be to turn right at New York (a few blocks before Massachusetts) and then left on 10th but it is only a couple minutes difference if you don't want to worry about getting lost. Know that if you wind up hailing a cab, most of them only accept cash. There is a law coming that makes it mandatory to accept credit cards though, my cab driver thought it was taking effect Jan 2013. Also, DC folks are really amazingly friendly. I had to ask for directions several times and almost always got great help. One person even stopped me and asked if I needed help, guess I looked lost.

So finally I arrived at the hotel, hot and tired. I arrived about 10:40 am and was planning to only be able to drop my bags so that I could go site seeing. No no, my room was ready, they'd be more than happy to let me settle in now, no need to wait. I was also hungry but my body was still on Central time - I asked if they knew of any place that served breakfast. They didn't think anything was available that late for breakfast but gave me directions to a good lunch place (12th and K - the deli, I'd also recommend). Then they offered to let me order breakfast at their place, even though it was past time and they were transitioning from breakfast to lunch. I decided to go with that and it was really great food. The breakfast potatoes were to die for and they brought I guess fresh whipped butter to go with my toast - it was certainly the best butter I ever had. I was served very quickly but then ignored for a while; since technically the place was closed I can't complain too much though. So great first welcome, very friendly people.

The room was fine. It's an older place and that shines through but in a good way - everything is kept up very well and clean. The linens were great although the mattress was harder than I preferred. I did room service one evening and the service was prompt, although my medium well steak was a bit on the burnt side. There is a mini bar complete with little fridge hiding in the night stand so if you wanted to take out the beer (or drink it i guess - $7 / each I think), there was room to store your own stuff. There are no ice machines on the floors but if you'll stop at the bar, they'll give you a bucket full. They had great bath stuff as well.

It was a good location. In addition to the deli, there was a great Cuban place down on 9th that did small plates with happy hour. Several other restaurants close advertised the same but I didn't get a chance to try them. The hotel is about a mile from the National Mall, although you can catch the metro and shave off about 3 blocks from that if you were too tired. I took a cab from the hotel (which the doorman got for me) to the Old Post Office which is right next to the Mall and it was $6 before tip. The neighborhood itself was fine - as a single woman I walked from the Mall back to the hotel about 9:30 at night and felt perfectly safe the whole way.

So that's it. Overall, the service at this place makes it a real standout but the cleanliness and location are also really good. Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank SusanM223
Manager926, Manager at The Henley Park Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
Thank you for your comments; I am sorry about the direction from Metro. They should be corrected soon on our website. I am glad you enjoyed our service and our cleanliness, I think we have one of the cleanest hotels in the city. Thank you for staying with us.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

Great hotel in the old style. Well restored to the elegance of days gone by. When you walk in the door it is as if you walked into a 1930s movie. Clean in every nook, cranny & corner. Staff was very friendly and engaging. Genuinely so, not as if they were programed to be. If they asked about your day it seemed they were genuinely interested. Room are conservatively sized in keeping with the period. Very comfortable. Sunday A.M. sat in the lobby by the fireplace and read and had coffee. Great deals available on weekends. Very well located. Close to everything. Great old property. The gargoyles are an interesting twist. I thought they all would be this nice and tried some other hotels in DC. They weren't. Next time I'm going back to the Henly Park!

• Stayed December 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Manager926, Manager at The Henley Park Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
Thank you for your comments. Glad to hear the staff was engaging with you. The staff is here to make your stay an enjoyable one as you visit Washington DC. Thanks for staying with us.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

It is a cute historic hotel. I thought the location was good. We just walked everywhere. It is about 2 miles to Capital. There is NO parking garage so you either valet or park on street! Inside of hotel was nice but small. Our room was pretty small too. The bed was comfy & bathroom was nothing fancy. I did have a few complaints about the room itself though. First was the noise factor - you can hear people talking in the hallway even with the tv on. We turned the AC up to high & the fan was not loud enough to drown out the sounds. But the hotel does provide you with free earplugs which is good because you will need them!

• Stayed July 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments. All of our rooms have a little different configuration. Our quiets rooms are away from the elevators. Thanks for staying with us.
Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

Before I forget this part, let me encourage people who are going to walk to the hotel from Metro
Center to NOT follow the directions on the hotel's Website, which say to turn left from the 11th & G exit toward New York Ave, etc. If you come out of that exit, you should turn right, not left, going north, not south. The incorrect directions on the Website ended up taking me to a dark and unsavory street, at 9:00 at night. So be sure you check how to get there on your own. In addition, the hotel told me that it is a 10-minute walk from Metro Center to the hotel; not unless you're an Olympian. Even without wrong turns, it's a good 15 to 20 minutes.

This is a beautiful old building in a renovated area of town that is awash with bars and restaurants, in a neighborhood with a CVS tucked 1 short block away, next to which is an independent coffeeshop (this is on 10th Street, just north of the hotel) with very good bagels and superb coffee. The hotel has terrific ambience, and my room, 306, was certainly designed and outfitted beautifully.

The night I arrived I wanted dinner, realized I would arrive a bit past the last seating at 9:30 (as I had followed the hotel's incorrect walking directions), called the hotel, and indeed they held a table for me. I ordered asparagus bisque and a Caesar salad with marinated Italian anchovies. The bisque was bland and I'm pretty sure had been microwaved, and the Caesar salad came with a heavy, overly-creamy sauce and no anchovies. When I asked about that, the kitchen sent out a plate of anchovies, I suppose for me to make up the rest of my salad. A new salad was not offered. The waiter / bartender, a very friendly and professional young man, was uncomfortable with this, but could do little to correct what the chef had done.

When I told the operations manager about this the next day, he seemed to take it seriously, but I certainly did not get any discount on the meal when I checked out later that morning. Wasn't important for the money, but for the principle of the thing - the hotel boasts about the Zagat-rated restaurant - I would have thought that a small token discount would have been appropriate. Apparently not. I felt that the manager was insincere in his concern for the problem and the way that the kitchen solved it (which was very much, "oh, if you insist, here are the anchovies"), by not offering a small compensation as an apology.

I had a great rate - $99 plus tax on a Friday night - and would stay here again for that and for the ambience. But not for the restaurant, or proximity to the Metro, especially at night.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jamestown1619
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry about the directions on the web site, they have been corrected. Our restaurant service staff has been made aware of the mishap with the poor service of your salad. I am truly sorry. I do hope you try us again the next time you are in the DC area.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012 via mobile

A friend and I stayed here in order to be close to the Verizon Center for a concert. We booked through a disount website and secured a phenominal rate of $99 for a Friday night stay. This hotel was easy to find, and definitely within walking distance of the Verizon Center. Valet parking (only option) for $39. Extremely quaint decor, exposed brick, colonial furnishings, clean, and all the staff was very helpful. There are a wide variety of stores and restaurants very close to the hotel. The room had a stocked fridge and snack selection - for a charge, but at least convenient! Complimentary water
and earplugs (supposedly to cover the noise of the city, but there really wasn't a noise problem). We ate at the two restaurants in the hotel - Blue Bar for drinks and lite food (mini crab cakes, quesadillas, crab dip) and the sit down restaurant for a delicious breakfast. Both were uniquely decorated - historical touches. Nice ambiance. Overall, extremely pleased with the value and charm of the hotel. I feel we really lucked out on this one!

• Stayed July 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments. I’m glad you stopped into dine with us at our Bar and Restaurant. We have recently made some menu changes to add those fabulous mini crab cakes to our Bar menu. We have also changed our Breakfast menu to offer some favorites, so you can enjoy breakfast with us before heading out into the city. Thank you for staying with us.