“Low key, good value, spotless”

The Henley Park Hotel
Ranked #100 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
CT
“Low key, good value, spotless”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

Higher than four, really.

We stayed two nights. The lobby staff were always pleasant and helpful. Old style city hotel, but all furnishings and surfaces were newer, nicely decorated, and well cared for. Check in and out were easy, and they made the valet parking a breeze.

The room was smallish but not cramped, and there are choices for larger spaces. We had a single queen and it was certainly enough to sleep and regroup in. One of the cleanest hotels we've been in. Great value. Would definitely stay there again.

Our sleep quality was excellent because we were not on the street, but in the back facing an office building. We had no view to speak of, but I would choose this again if possible because it's quieter and possibly less expensive.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank metropo7
Maggie E, General Manager at The Henley Park Hotel, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely review. My staff and I greatly appreciate your compliments. We endeavor to never allow an opportunity go by to excede our guests expectations. Nice to know that our efforts are appreciated.

Warm regards,

Maggie Edwards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Polish first
Athens, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

We stayed 3 nights to sightsee the city, monuments, and parks. The room was small but clean and comfortable. It had a full bathroom (not a half bath with the sink in the bedroom). The staff was very friendly and helpfull. Coffee but no breakfast was provided. It is within walking distance to the mall and monuments. Consider this Hotel for a reasonable price and a good clean place to stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Fred K
Maggie E, General Manager at The Henley Park Hotel, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Succinctly put! Thank you for your comments. For those travellers who wish to partake of breakfast we offer a full breakfast menu in our Tavern Restaurant. Packages that include breakfast can also be found on the hotel website.
I hope that you will come back and continue your exploration of Washington. Three days is not enough time to take in all it has to offer.

Banbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

Very convenient to all the Washington sights. An individualistic architectural style which you are unlikely to replicate anywhere. It has an extraordinary "English" feel about it and the staff is very friendly. Rooms a reasonable size and clean and comfortable. The hotel is located on the edge of downtown and is very quiet.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the style and location of the Henley Park Hotel. The Tudor style of architechture which is carried through to the interior details does lend a very unique appearance, reminiscent of European hotels. It is inviting and warm.
Thank you for your review.

Cape May Point, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

Stayed a single night in Sept. after booking with Wayne, who was working the front desk one August weekend and was very friendly and upbeat.

The property is very pretty. Lots of old world detail, furnishings not to our taste, but generally quite nice; a little shabby in places, but nice. Got a great price and took advantage of an upgrade opportunity from the website and had a junior suite with 2 club chairs, one with a ottoman, a recently renovated bath, frette linens and bath towels and mats, lots of space and good light. COMFORTABLE bed and pillows. We liked the room. City noise, which allowed us to feelmright at home but could be a problem if you're not used to it. The gym is nominally serviceable with 2 treadmills and recumbent bike i couldn't get to work. Staff friendly. Not too far from metro-- we walked with our bags.

Reservations were a mess. After booking, i looked for a confirm and had none. Called the hotel and was advised that reservations would not reopen until Monday at which time I should expect an email. Shortly before my trip I checked and couldn't find an email so contacted the hotel and was advised that I had no reservation. Since reservations was again closed, I was told to call the next day. Went online to "contact us" and sent emails to reservations seeking confirm from them. Late the next day, no email from reservations, called again. Yes, I have reservations. Requested an email. Was advised to write down my confirm number. Offered my email address and was advised that they had it (it was correct). No email sent.

My bad. I thought I had booked a business traveler package and checked the website to see what was included. Saw that continental breakfast for one was part of the package and made the mistake of not verifying my eligiblity before getting breakfast. The server, Alejandro?, was delightful; he is very proud of the hotel and I got the impression the staff view themselves as family. It seems a special place in that regard. On checking out learned that my breakfast (don't get the continental--overpriced and just reheated stuff, but coffee very good) was not included. Next time will ensure I receive written verification of the offer terms. Otherwise, a very nice stay.

Room Tip: If you are not used to city street noise, e.g., trash collection in the middle of the night, ask for...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback and compliments about the style of the hotel. Although our reservations office is open M-F it is always possible to retrieve your reservations and send you a confirmation via the Guest Service team on the property, 24-7. Thus I am dismayed that on 2 occasions your request was not immediately completed. I do apologize for the lack of appropriate response. I will follow up with the staff to ensure that proper training is done.
Thank you for your patience and I hope this has not deterred you from choosing us again.

Bucks County, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

I traveled for business to attend a conference at a nearby hotel. The Henley is charming. Impeccably, incredibly clean. Small, but very sweet rooms with an old-fashioned (but not worn out) style. I even found a little packet of earplugs on my bed, in case I wanted to block out street noise (my room did not face the street, so there was no need). You can easily walk to Chinatown and many other downtown locations. The bathroom was newly renovated, although the lighting there can be better and turning on the shower is a little tricky (really). One caveat: while comfortable, this hotel is not an ideal choice for business travel, especially if you need to work in your room and prefer a modern desk set-up for your laptop. I ended up typing from my bed.

Room Tip: My room did not have a view. It faced an interior view of windows from other rooms. The upside of th...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank pugmeister2011
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Henley Park Hotel. We take great pride in the cleanliness of our historic hotel and our housekeeping staff does an excellent job.
We have completed renovating the first three floors of the hotel and plan to continue the remaining four floors to better accomodate the business traveler.
The newly renovated floors include a large desk, more electrical sockets for device charging, wall mounted larger TV's as well as new fabric and color schemes.We are also replacing those "tricky" plumbing fixtures in the bathrooms.
On your return visit request one of these business traveler friendly rooms and I beleive that it will meet all your needs.

Berkeley, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

The Henley Park Hotel is an elegant place in a pretty nice area, very close to the DC convention center, and an easy walk to Ford's Theatre and then the National Mall, if you're a walker. Two Metro stops, Mt. Vernon Square and Gallery Place, are each just a few blocks away. (Part of the area around the Mt. Vernon Square/Convention Center stop seems a little sketchy, so be aware.) It's an easy trip to National Airport, but leave some extra time for the trains, as you'll sometimes have to wait for the right one.

There aren't a lot of retail businesses right by the hotel, but some neighborhoods with cute shops and restaurants are just a couple blocks away. There is also an intriguing old Carnegie Library just down the street from the hotel, but it was closed when we were there.

I liked the hotel's decor a lot, and the room was bigger than I expected, especially when the closet and decent-sized bathroom were added. The interior has a classic, traditional-DC feeling, with some modern touches, such as the up-to-date bathroom wallpaper and fixtures. Some of the furniture was very slightly worn, but less so than another hotel I stayed in on this same trip--mostly it was in pretty good shape. The bed was comfortable. There is an ironing board and a safe that's big enough to hold a laptop. I was worried about noise, since some other reviewers had mentioned it, but we didn't hear any construction, and we did have a room facing the street. (Perhaps they were off that day.) The air-conditioning and people in the hall occasionally made noises, but I think that would happen in any hotel, and the air-conditioning was much quieter than in the lower-end hotels I've stayed at. We didn't hear any voices from adjoining rooms.

I did have a little bit of trouble finding the desk clerk at times, but it never took more than a few minutes to get someone, and the staff seemed quite pleasant, especially the bellman who stored our bags, and clerk who checked us out. (One clerk was kind of indifferent.) Check-out was super-fast, with all charges properly done and printed out. I would definitely stay here again; I thought it was a great bargain--possibly we got a special Congressional-recess price.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christine_U
I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is always gratifying to hear good things from our guests. Our staff is great and completely focused on personalizing your hotel experience. It is what they do best and I will relay your compliments and concerns to them.
Our unique historic hotel does straddle two worlds, old world charm and new world amenities. We do often have special rates that are offfered by calling or checking our web site. Make that return trip soon.

Shepparton, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

We chose this hotel because it looked a bit different from all the others on the websites, and was it a find or what? Very well located, in close proximity to the centre of town, the HOHO bus, many attractions, and a spotless if slightly small room. When you spend many weeks in hotels it is nice to have something a bit different, and this was it. Beautifully furnished like a boutique hotel, a very elegant feel to it. Great staff, excellent location, and very good food - what more could you want?

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review about your recent stay. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed our convenient location. Our prime location provides our guests a seamless way to explore the Washington, DC area and is within walking distance of many area attractions and two Metro stations. Our twenty first century amenities are great but do need to fit in with the 19th century sensibility of our historic hotel. I hope that we provide the proper balance.
Come back soon.