“Surprise Birthday Trip - Awesome”

The Henley Park Hotel
Ranked #101 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 10 May 2010

Should of written this review when it was fresh now that a year and half of past and the memory seems to get a little foggier each year. I spent a lot of time review and deciding on what type of hotel (almost went w/Sofitel) for this surprise birthday trip. Couldn't of been happier w/the decision. This boutique hotel has tons of charm and the staff especially Derick Speight went out of their way to make this trip memorable and special for my wife. We felt very safe in the area and you could walk 3-5 blocks to lots of restaurants and things to see and of course the metro makes getting around super easy. Would be nice if the place was a little closer to a stop but the hotel was built first. If we get another chance to come back to the DC area this place will at the top of the list.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Henley Park Hotel

Reviewed 24 April 2010

This was a nice hotel overall. For the people who say it's old, well, it is. It's a historic hotel, and it's well kept. It's a 4 star on most websites, but I would say that it is a solid 3 star. We booked through Hotwire and were given a room on the second floor. The room was nice with a large bathroom, 208, but it was near the elevator and had an adjoining door with the room next door. I didn't bother unpacking because I'm a light sleeper and the adjoining doors disturb me. I asked to move and was offered a smaller room with a double bed(202) or a tiny room/bathroom with a queen on the far corner (room 204). I gratefully took the move to the small room. I don't need a lot of room space, just a good location with a good bed. I was happy the front desk would consider a move on the same floor. I could tell moving a Hotwire booking to a higher floor was not an option.

The water pressure wasn't great for someone with long thick hair. Otherwise it was fine, plenty of hot water.

There was a tiny gym in a converted room on the second floor with 2 treadmills and a bike. We choose to run outdoors since the weather was good. They had some free water in there. Water in the rooms was $5 but we stocked up at CVS which is a block away.

The location was great, it was an easy walk to Starbucks, CVS, restaurants. The sheets and towels were nice and plentiful. I noticed the towels were Frette. They did offer room service but I thought the menu looked small and didn't try it. One of the best things the hotel offered was free dependable wifi.

There was no ice machine, but you could call the restaurant and they would deliver ice quickly. Stay in your room, the staff for ice delivery doesn't have a key to get in.

The front desk was good and was happy to make recommendations and reservations. I would stay here again. I also review the restaurant "Coeur de Lion" which is located in the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 April 2010

My husband and I spent 3 nights at Henley park hotel in Washington DC. The hotel was so impressive, having very nice and cozy rooms, well designed and so tidy. The bath room was quiet nice and clean. The sheets were so clean and the service was good also. The value was so good for such a hotel in Washington.
We did enjoy a lot and highly recommend it.

Reviewed 9 April 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Henley Park Hotel for a week at the end of March. We registered online through AAA. We were given a nice, clean, and quiet room (Rm 503). Queen size bed, dresser, TV, coffee maker, closet, and bathroom. The room was big enough for our needs.
The personnel were helpful and very courteous. All questions were given attention.
The restaurant in the hotel is typically pricy for Washington, but the menu and meals are excellent. Breakfasts are worth the money, also.
The location is a few minutes walk from the Chinatown metro station, and the area around the hotel is clean and safe. Around the corner is the Washington, D.C. Historical Center. Worth a visit and across the street from this building are tour-bus stops.

Reviewed 29 March 2010

Found this Hotel searching for packages on Yahoo travel. I usually opt for the chains since they are a known quantity, but I decided to take a chance this time and am so glad I did. I got a deal of under $100/nt.

This place is fantastic. Spotless room and modern clean bathroom/shower. Comfy bed and well stocked mini-fridge(but pricey as always). We had a corner room on the 8th floor and it was very spacious with nice furnishings and not a cookie cutter type room. The lobby, bar and lounge are all very nice and clean. Staff is most excellent.

The Henley Park is very convenient to everything. Across from the Conv ctr, 10 min walk to Verizon and Chinatown, 20 min to the Smithsonians. 2 circulator buses($1 fare) stop within 2 blocks and can take you to the National Mall, Union Sta, and G-town. There;s a CVS and Cafe 1 1/2 blks north on 10th as well as many shops, cafes and restaurants within walking distance.

This is definitely my new home when coming to DC for both business and pleasure.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank fyrmnjim
Reviewed 28 March 2010

I stayed 5 nights at the Henley Park earlier this month when attending a conference at the Washington Convention Center. The hotel is fantastically placed with regards to the Center, literally across the street and this was a huge advantage. The premises are quaint with the hotel occupying a historical building. While definitely not glittery-modern I enjoyed the atmosphere of the building. It is important to note that the hotel does not have any twin rooms - all are doubles - and this was almost a problem as I was travelling with a colleague and only found out upon arrival, but we were placed in room 414 that is a junior suite so we were OK. There is a tiny and slightly uncomfortable (too hot) fitness center on the 2nd floor that is open 24 hrs. The small but charming lobby holds a well stocked bar and really great restaurant called the Coeur de Lion. Had breakfast there a few times and enjoyed it each time. But what really got me was the service. My colleague forgot the DND sign on the door one day when we went out and returned at night to the mess we left earlier. Upon our request, housekeeping was there in a few minutes despite the late hour and took care of everything with a smile. A few people I would like to mention are Fausto in the restaurant who always made sure that everything was great and took a real interest in his guests. Thanks! Marianne (hope I spelled this right) in the bar at night who was as friendly as she is pretty. She remembered my favorite after the first time and made sure that Jack (Daniels) was there when I was. Thanks to you too! But the winner is Willis Anderson who worked the night shift on my last night there and when he heard that I would have to get up earlier than planned to feed the parking meter (the hotel parking service @ $30 was a bit too expensive for a few hours) he immediately said "no way. I'm here at that hour and I will stuff the meter for you so you can sleep another hour!" Willis - you made my day and stay. While it should be common, this type of outstanding service and caring by hotel staff is rare and the Henley Park is lucky to have such people. I know where I will be staying when I'm next in DC for a conference and highly recommend the Henley Park over the other huge hotels that are also in the vicinity.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank PharmaTraveller
Reviewed 8 March 2010

Henlely Park Hotel has a prime location. We were able to walk to the Verizon Center for a Caps game, museums, and restaurants. Every room in the hotel, including ours, was clean. The employees were kind and helpful. I was nervous because I hadn't spoken to a person that had stayed there, but I was more than pleased with H.P.H. I highly recommend it.