“Something was either really good or really bad. You be the judge.”

Washington Marriott at Metro Center
Ranked #49 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I reserved the room while in town for a wedding. It was very clean, the staff was very friendly, and the restaurant and bar were accommodating. They have valet service, but I could park on the street that evening so I can't say anything about that. I would have given it 5 stars since the room was modestly priced for what you received and the location. The reason for 3 stars is as follows:

When I returned to my room Saturday evening, I decided to walk to the restaurant for a late night snack. I ordered 2 appetizers, quesadilla and hummus, for my girlfriend and I. The bill was $37 with tip. That's pretty high for what was ordered, but that is expected at a hotel. Anyway, I asked it to be sent to my room. The food never came, but it wasn't a big deal. It was late at night and you can't ask everything to be perfect. I called down and asked for the food again, but my girlfriend said she didn't feel like any hummus so we canceled that half. The quesadilla showed up shortly after.

Upon checkout, I realized I was charged $15 for the quesadilla...but also the $37 for the original order that never came. No problem. I called the front desk and they removed the $37 from my bill. No hassle, BRAVO! When I finally left the room, I grabbed one of bottles of water on dresser for the road. As I cracked it open, my girlfriend belted out, "Don't drink that! They charge you for it!" I replied, "I know, but it is only like 2 or 3 dollars." I was wrong, it was $6 for a regular bottle of water. Well, shoot, they got me. Unfortunately, when checking my bill this morning, they charged me for 2 bottles rather than the one. I'm always fair with my reviews, that's why I leave it like this:

Pros: Clean, modern, great location, plenty of on-site amenities, super friendly staff.

Cons: I was nickle-and-dimed for everything (pricey too), and charged for items I didn't have.

Will I stay there again?: No

Will I recommend this place to friends?: No

Will I strongly suggest staying somewhere else?: No, I will just tell them to watch what they charge you and explain my story. They can judge for themselves.

In the end, 3 stars. A mediocre review that could have been excellent.

Room Tip: Watch what you are charged for. I don't even want to imagine what the valet would cost.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank CharlestonReviewer

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Pet friendly and clean hotel, located close enough to everything (15 min walk to museums, 5 min drive to shopping, 10 min walk to dining). On-street parking is okay though you may have to park a block away or so (we did not use the garage). Beds were comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mendnow
Steven S, Manager at Washington Marriott at Metro Center, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear Mendnow,

Thank you for sharing your great experience while staying here at the Washington Marriott at Metro Center. We certainly agree that we have a great location for visiting the Nation’s Capital. I can also agree that our beds are very comfortable. We are as always friendly to all service animals.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Wonderful time! Clean! quiet, excellent location! only 2 small things -- online pics show a spa/hot tub -- now it's gone -- or at least I couldn't find it! and breakfast buffet -- tho' yummy, was pricey.
Otherwise! loved it! and I will be back!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Stayed here at the DC Marriott 5 days for a conference. This property is a bit dated but well updated and maintained. The rooms are comfortable, service EVERYWHERE in this hotel is Superior to many hotels you will stay. This ranges from front desk, housekeeping, catering, IT, conference, you name it. This property does conferences well and it shows. Food is high quality and well prepared, with attention to detail. Had several meals in the restaurant and it is all "chef quality". I also want to say the support of the IT dept (Magdy Abdelkrem) was superior. I left my USB mouse back in Atlanta and he provided me a loaner for my stay. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Topdiamond
Reviewed 12 November 2013

My husband, myself, and our 10 year old stayed here for four nights. I found the hotel on the forum. We were happy with our stay. The staff were very friendly, especially the doormen. They remembered us each day and would briefly chat. This was a sightseeing trip and the hotel is centrally located. The rooms are clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank gamtravel
Reviewed 12 November 2013

After looking up a gazillion places, I settled with this Marriott. I arrived in DC from Boston at 8, and I was checked into my hotel right away. I usually always ask for early check in, and with no problem it was given. I took the metro everywhere as it was literary outside the door. As it was my first time in DC I wanted to explore the city by foot (also took a taxi here & there) my room was spacious, comfortable, clean and overall kept together. I mainly booked this location for the pool to go for a swim here and there, but I was so buy didn't get a chance to enjoy it until I checked out the pool. I was disappointed as it needs to be updated, and what seems to be years of dirt on the ground.. besides that all in all I was happy!

Room Tip: if you are staying here and planning on visiting the city by metro, buy a $14 day pass!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SaKkApFeT

Dear SaKkApFet
Thank you for letiing us know how your stay was here at the Washington Marriott at Metro Center. I'm glad we were able to accomodate your early check in and you liked our rooms. I am also happy to report that we just completed an $80,000 update of our workout facilities. We have added new cardio equipment and cleaned and replaced much of the old flooring. We have been receiving great feedback about the new facility. We hope you get a chance to come back and see for yourself. Thanks again for the great feedback. Steve Smith

Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

The Location was important as I wanted to travel by foot for the majority of our 3 day stay.The hotel was situated in a perfect area that totally allowed for this! The staff was very friendly and helpful! I would and probably will stay again. It was cleans and quiet as well!

Stayed: November 2013