“Convenient location, good service.”

Washington Marriott at Metro Center
Ranked #49 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Larnaka City, Cyprus
“Convenient location, good service.”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights for a meeting. It is very close to the National Mall, only 2-3 blocks away. I did not need to use the Metro.

There is a Macy's opposite the Hotel, and on the same street towards the National Mall there is a Barns and Nobles where you can buy toys for the kids.

The room is big and clean, and also quiet. There is a Starbucks on the ground floor that sells warm fresh bagles, and so you do not need to eat the Hotel's breakfast which is pricey.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank koulla

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Polish first
Foster City, California
Reviewed 8 December 2013

It is very easy to get here from the Metro which makes it very convienent. There is a Starbucks in the lobby and a Cosi around the corner. I asked for a room change and it was handled quickly and pleasantly - I didn't want to be in a room with connecting door. The bed is very comfortable and the room darkening shades work very well.

Concierge was a little unfamiliar with how to get places other than by car. I got to Arena Stage and National Cathedral from the Metro.

Internet service in the room is available but at a cost. Internet in lobby and at Starbucks is free.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Let me start of by saying that the location is great. We valeted our car and didn't take it out once the entire time of our stay. We walked or used a cab (not including tip $7-$9 at most) to get to the museums, monuments, garden and restaurants. I kept telling my fiance that the location is probably the reason it ranked so high with reviewers.

Our first night there we checked into our room and went to have dinner downstairs at the hotel restaurant. I barely remember what I had for dinner, so that should tell you that it wasn't anything spectacular. It was just typical hotel restaurant cuisine. One of the things that I do remember is that our server kept giving us these weird looks. Also, I was afraid to finish the last sip of my wine because I didn't know when the next time I was going to get a refill. Even though there were 5 to 6 employees/managers standing around, they were too busy discussing the perils of the day with each other rather than worrying about the needs of hungry and thirsty patrons.

The rooms are small (most people would use the word cozy), but they are also clean. My fiance complained about the bed. He said that it wasn't that of a typical Marriott bed. I slept great. If you are a coffee/tea drinker and you use the stuff in the room as your morning pick me up, make sure that you have all of the tools you need to make a decent cup of whatever. My room did not have regular coffee or enough cream and sugar to make myself a cup of coffee. So, in the morming I had to throw some clothes on and head on downstairs to Starbucks. Some Marriotts offer complimentary coffee, this one does not.

We are Gold members, and the concierge lounge was closed because it was the holiday. In exchange for the continental breakfast in the concierge lounge we received passes for continental breakfast buffet in the restaurant. We upgraded our passes to the hot breakfast for $5.95 each, which I would advise anyone to do. The continental breakfast buffet was seriously lacking variety. Also, if you have to pay full price for the hot breakfast ($22), I would suggest you go somewhere else. The hot breakfast lacks variety and the food is mediocre. I would pay $5.95 for it, but not $22.

The last thing that I want to point out is that Thanksgiving my family was headed out to dinner. Usually there are cabs waiting right in front of the hotel. During this time there weren't any available. We waited about 10 minutes outside for one to drive up. Finally, a door man comes out and my fiance asks if he can get us a cab. He said "Yeah, yeah, yeah" and proceeds to help someone with their bags that had just driven up. When I asked again, he rudely replied to me, that they were here first. When my family travels we only stay at Marriotts. The restaurants, rooms and offerings may vary, but the one thing that is always consistent is the level of service. I am used to employees from the valet to the housekeeper with smiling faces.

Sidenote: The valet ($47.20/day) was included in a room package. High speed internet ($12.95/day) and continental breakfast were included because we are Gold members. If valet and high speed internet weren't included then I would advise you stay somewhere else because it's not a good value, but if you can get these things in a package coupled with the fantastic location then this would be the best place to stay in the area.

Room Tip: In my Marriott preferences I always have high floors listed. From my experiences with Marriott, the...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Riga, Latvia
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Was staying one night. A bit tired lobby and elevators, but in general quite comfortable stay. The location was perfect for my needs, bed soft and late check out was provided.

Free internet in the lobby and printer to print boarding passes is an advantage.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Kasparainens
NYC
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Needed hotel near business meeting and wanted to be able to sightsee afterwards. I picked this on other TA reviews for proximity to Metro, which was right outside front doors and 2 quick stops to Union Station, as well as having museums and restaurants close. 6 pm check in, no lines, got room on 15 th floor. Strange though, concierge lounge was down on 2 nd floor. Room nice and clean, had requested a mini fridge, it was waiting when I got to room. Two of the glass cups in the room were stained. No real view just office buildings, halls were quiet never heard any of the neighbors. Bar crowded, they have good happy hour even on weekends. Concierge lounge seemed small for hotel of this size, standard fare in evenings but breakfast was good and attendant did good job keeping everything filled. Coffee was great. We received free continental breakfast on Saturday in restaurant since lounge is closed weekends. Most Marriott’s we stayed at let you enjoy the full buffet at no extra cost, but we were limited to the continental buffet which was fine, since its free.

Hotel has security guards all over lobby, neighborhood is safe we walked around after 11pm both nights and never had a problem. Try Central Michel Richard restaurant, food was delicious. Smithsonian American Art Museum less than 2 blocks and they are open later than museums at the mall. This is a good downtown DC hotel, I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank itbetterbeclean
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I reserved the room while in town for a wedding. It was very clean, the staff was very friendly, and the restaurant and bar were accommodating. They have valet service, but I could park on the street that evening so I can't say anything about that. I would have given it 5 stars since the room was modestly priced for what you received and the location. The reason for 3 stars is as follows:

When I returned to my room Saturday evening, I decided to walk to the restaurant for a late night snack. I ordered 2 appetizers, quesadilla and hummus, for my girlfriend and I. The bill was $37 with tip. That's pretty high for what was ordered, but that is expected at a hotel. Anyway, I asked it to be sent to my room. The food never came, but it wasn't a big deal. It was late at night and you can't ask everything to be perfect. I called down and asked for the food again, but my girlfriend said she didn't feel like any hummus so we canceled that half. The quesadilla showed up shortly after.

Upon checkout, I realized I was charged $15 for the quesadilla...but also the $37 for the original order that never came. No problem. I called the front desk and they removed the $37 from my bill. No hassle, BRAVO! When I finally left the room, I grabbed one of bottles of water on dresser for the road. As I cracked it open, my girlfriend belted out, "Don't drink that! They charge you for it!" I replied, "I know, but it is only like 2 or 3 dollars." I was wrong, it was $6 for a regular bottle of water. Well, shoot, they got me. Unfortunately, when checking my bill this morning, they charged me for 2 bottles rather than the one. I'm always fair with my reviews, that's why I leave it like this:

Pros: Clean, modern, great location, plenty of on-site amenities, super friendly staff.

Cons: I was nickle-and-dimed for everything (pricey too), and charged for items I didn't have.

Will I stay there again?: No

Will I recommend this place to friends?: No

Will I strongly suggest staying somewhere else?: No, I will just tell them to watch what they charge you and explain my story. They can judge for themselves.

In the end, 3 stars. A mediocre review that could have been excellent.

Room Tip: Watch what you are charged for. I don't even want to imagine what the valet would cost.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank CharlestonReviewer
Sarasota
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Pet friendly and clean hotel, located close enough to everything (15 min walk to museums, 5 min drive to shopping, 10 min walk to dining). On-street parking is okay though you may have to park a block away or so (we did not use the garage). Beds were comfortable.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mendnow
Steven S, Manager at Washington Marriott at Metro Center, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Mendnow,

Thank you for sharing your great experience while staying here at the Washington Marriott at Metro Center. We certainly agree that we have a great location for visiting the Nation’s Capital. I can also agree that our beds are very comfortable. We are as always friendly to all service animals.