“Wonderful weekend getaway”

Washington Marriott at Metro Center
Ranked #47 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 26 February 2014

My fiancé and I originally chose to stay at this hotel out of convenience and location. The Verizon Center is a short 10-15 minute direct walk and we had tickets to see a concert. We ended up staying the entire weekend with Marriott Reward points which was fantastic but the hotel offered us more than we were expecting. This hotel is not only conveniently located but it is clean and modern. We were given a wonderful corner Room 1415 with a view of 12th street and the top of the Washington Monument. The bed was comfortable, spacious and clean. Upon checking in, we were offered Marriott points or a breakfast at the hotel restaurant 'Fire and Sage', we chose the breakfast and I'm glad we did. This restaurant was delicious, breakfast offered a large assortment...omelette bar, scrambled eggs, sausage, french toast, cereal, bagels or pastries, fruit etc. the service was very polite and attentive, we enjoyed it very much every morning. This restaurant was also a great spot for happy hour to grab a drink and an appetizer in the evening. The front desk and concierge were very accommodating and polite as well. We were lucky enough to have beautiful weather and walked to the free museums, the White House and Washington monument, It was beyond convenient...loved the location! All in all we enjoyed ourselves very much and would recommend this Marriott to anyone.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jsb79
There are newer reviews for Washington Marriott at Metro Center

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Our room was nice and the staff were all polite. The best part is that you walk out the front door and take the elevator straight down to the metro. To have a nice, clean hotel with such easy access to the metro made this a great place to stay in DC.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

I understand this is DC and prices are high everywhere - but even with out teams discounted rate of $189 (including the $22 room tax), the price was just too much given that nothing is included. Breakfast buffet was over $25 (with tip) - if you order only eggs or an omelet, they charge you $4 for coffee and $4 for juice - so you're back up to about $75 for breakfast for three. There is a Starbucks onsite - eat there instead! I hear parking per day was about $40. So $567 for three nights got us nothing but a basic room. I requested an in-room fridge twice but never received it. On the plus side, the location was good, the room clean and the staff was polite/ professional. I stay almost exclusively at Mariotts for my kids sporting events, but I may start to stay elsewhere because the prices of the "extras" like food, parking etc are climbing too high for an average family.

• Stayed: February 2014
Jen F, Manager at Washington Marriott at Metro Center, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Dear PianoLady71,

I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your feedback with us. In regards to the food and beverage pricing I wanted you to know that we are competitive with DC hotel restaurants and stand-alone restaurants of the same quality. In addition, the group rate that was secured by your group was a lower rate than we were selling for on those dates. You are a valued customer and everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. I will certainly be sharing your feedback with the appropriate department heads as well. If there is anything else I can assist you with, please let me know. I hope to serve you again in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Jen F.
Assistant Rooms Operations Manager

Reviewed 18 February 2014

This hotel is centrally located to everything in DC. Metro Center is about 100 feet from the front door. Staff was friendly and very helpful. We will stay here when we return to DC. Except for 700 volleyball teams in DC that weekend the place was perfect.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank highlanders6
Reviewed 15 February 2014

During the recent snow storm, my company put some coworkers and me up at this hotel. It was truly a treat during a few nasty weather days in WDC.

Each staff person I cane in contact with was friendly, helpful, and seemed to genuinely care about my stay.

My room was exceptionally clean, well appointed, and super comfortable. The bed was verrrrrry comfy!! My only issue was the TV service. I don't think my remote was working properly so I couldn't pull up the guide. It also seemed like whatever provider they had didn't have a very good signal. I think in a hotel of this caliber, they could stand to upgrade the TV. Of course, if you are staying while vacationing, the television is probably not too high on the list of priorities!! :-)

I had a wonderful stay and would choose this hotel again if I were staying in WDC.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We used this hotel as a central location for our son's first trip to DC. It is located a short walk to the White House and all the Smithsonian museums. Less than 10 min to White House and maybe 12 to the museums. The monuments are a little farther and we took a cab to the Lincoln and walked backed visiting the monuments and memorials. If it was a little warmer, I am sure the walk would have been fine. The hotel is also located adjacent to the metro center station, which makes the entire city accessible.
Pros: the lobby is very nice and all staff were very helpful. We got a weekend deal that included parking and internet. Otherwise valet is $40 a day. Rooms were recently renovated and very clean and above average size, especially for a city hotel. Beds were very comfortable and the heating system was quiet and worked fairly well, although I found it a bit cold. Bath amenities were nice and towels fluffy.
The coffee and tea service in the room was great and housekeeping noticed that I was a tea drinker and left extra bags, which I really appreciated.
We used the pool and fitness center, both very clean. The pool was large and because this is mostly a business hotel, we were alone in the pool. The fitness center is huge and well equipped with updated machines and weights.
I liked this hotel because it had a Starbucks downstairs, which allowed us to just grab a quick breakfast without having to sit down. We also had room service and ate in the restaurant. Room service was good for breakfast and the restaurant was fine. We had just drinks one night (and my son had dinner before our meal at rasika) and then a causal dinner the next night. Service was good and the food was ok. Drinks were actually yummy.
Cons: not many. There isn't a view from the rooms and the hotel is clearly centered on business, but I found it worked well for our family and I would also consider it for business.
With lots a great hotels, I feel like I made a great choice in DC.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank angelambudd
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Stayed 3 nights at the end of January. It's a large hotel, with good quality standard bedroom and bathroom. Couldn't fault it, decent decor, clean and very presentable. Breakfast in the restaurant was spot on. Took the buffet one morning and the A la Carte another both excellent. The lady making the omelettes was particularly helpful, very pleasant and friendly. Told me to carry on and she took my omelette to me when she cooked it. Other restaurant staff very pleasant as well.

Location was great for business meetings in the area and shopping with Macys just across the street. Only downside is high charge for in room wifi. Over $12 a day makes me more inclined to choose hotels that include it. But that's my only gripe. It's a good hotel, comfortable room and bed and I enjoyed my stay. I also got a good deal on Trivago.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank DannyBoyBlue
Steven S, Front Office Manager at Washington Marriott at Metro Center, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Dear DannyBoyBlue,
I wanted to take a moment to thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your most recent visit to Washington. I will certainly share your feedback with the restaurant team and take the time to recognize are brilliant hosts. We are lucky to have just had a total room renovation and we are very focused on having a clean hotel. I do understand your position on the in room Wi-Fi and wanted to let you know we do provide complimentary Wi-Fi in the lobby. Thanks again for your feedback and hope to meet you during your next visit to Washington. Steve