“Good option”

Washington Marriott at Metro Center
Ranked #48 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The hotel is well located and close to a lot of good places.

The room has a good size and the bed and shower are pretty decent.

The only complaint is to pay 12.95 per day to use the internet. In my opinion, a Marriot Hotel should provide internet for free.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,054)

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Excellent place to stay. The Metro Rail is right outside the door within a few steps. Makes getting around DC very easy. Everyone was friendly and VERY helpful! Erik at the Concierge desk even gave us umbrella's a day in advance for the rain that was expected, so we would be sure to have one! The beds were very comfortable. After long hot days of sightseeing the room was very cool and comfortable. We found our refrigerator wasn't working and they sent a replacement up to the room right away...there was no waiting on it. The location of this hotel is excellent. We walked ALOT right from here to all the monuments.
The concierge booked us a night tour that was excellent. I highly recommend DC Tour as well.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Jay-AGM, Manager at Washington Marriott at Metro Center, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Thank you for posting your stay about the Washington Marriott Metro Center on TripAdvisor. I will personally share your feedback with our Concierge. It's people like Erick that make traveling fun and exciting for our guests. We'll look forward to seeing you again soon on your next trip to DC.

Jay Lefkowitz
Director of Operations

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is a good hotel and a great location for visiting the National Mall and other DC sites. I prefer Marriotts and I am a Gold member. The rooms were a bit small but ok for a city. It was clean and comfortable for my wife, 2 kids and me. The A/C eco sensor that another reviewer complained about is simple to defeat- just push the button and the A/C will stay on sot his is non issue. The service was good and the people were friendly. Like most things in DC it was not overly cheap but delivers a solid value. I will stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 May 2014

You are paying for a great location, and not much else. No refrigerator. No microwave. No free wifi. No breakfast. No frills of any kind. Even the television remote was no frills - it did not have a "sleep" timer on it. The AC is on one of those stupid motion sensors, so be prepared to wake up in the middle of the night sweating half to death only to have to get up out of bed and flail your arms around the room trying to get the thing to kick back on!! Every. Single. Night! I was so tired by the time I left DC because I could never get a good night's rest! And not that it really matters, but the soap and bath products provided smelled horrid! It is a fabulous location, though - walk to anything you want or hop on the metro a few steps outside the door! I wouldn't stay here again, though. Far too expensive.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank TripTaker2000
Jay-AGM, Manager at Washington Marriott at Metro Center, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. I'm sorry to read of your experience during your stay with us. I'd like to learn more about it to see where we can improve. Please feel free to reach out to me directly at the hotel at 202-737-2200 and I would be happy to speak with you.

Regards,
Jay Lefkowitz
Director of Operations

Reviewed 11 May 2014

My wife and I visited DC with our 6 and 7 year old children for Easter week. We stayed our first 2 nights at the Dupont Circle Hotel and then the second 2 nights at the Washington Marriott at Metro Center before we moved on to Baltimore City. The Washington Marriott was great for the price considering its city location ($275 for the room and $50 for parking). It would have been better if we stayed at the Washington Marriott at Metro Center and then moved on to the Dupont Cirlce Hotel because the first thing our kids wanted to see were all near the Washington Marriott at Metro Center (Air and Space Museum etc.) and then in the last two nights we went to the zoo and Georgetown which were all closer to the Dupont Circle Hotel. Considering this is a city hotel it was relatively kid friendly which made things more relaxing for my wife and I. The breakfast though not included in the price was great for the amount it cost me of around $50 a morning for my whole family. The valet service was easy and the door men immediately asked me if I'd like my bags put in storage until my room was ready. My wife and I travel to many big cities with our two young children and most of the time we have to request at the front desk to do something with all the bags we have because we arrived at the hotel at 11am and checkin is not until 3pm.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Townhouser
Reviewed 9 May 2014

The hotel has excellent accommodations and staff. Staff greets you with a genuine smile and are ready, willing, and able to help. The Concierge Lounge staff is exceptional. It is centrally located and Metro transpiration is literally a half block away.

Room Tip: When checking in, be sure to ask for the lowest rate available.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 May 2014

When in D.C., the Washington Marriott at Metro Center is a fairly good location for those doing business in the city. I would not recommend staying here as a family, but for business it is fine.
The property is ancient, yet the interiors are well maintained, the staff is friendly, the place is very clean. However the pricing is outrageous for what one gets. At $300/night (and that's a discounted, group rates) it is WAY too pricey for the amenities offered.

The guest rooms have but two electric outlets at the desk and one is already assigned to the cord drapped over the work surface that runs the little cube refrigerator that stands quietly in the corner. Whoa, for $300/night, wouldn't you expect that the refrigerator would be concealed in a nice cabinet? Thankfully, it was quiet. It just isn't something aesthetically comforting and really is nothing to look at.

The bedding was comfortable, the bathrooms very clean and nicely serviced. Although, if you've asked for extra towels you will receive them upon check-in and never thereafter.

The gold member club room is much like any other Marriott. The usual, reduced fair from what we were once accustomed to from several years ago. So it is across the chain.

The location is what makes this place happen in that it is located steps from the Washington Metro's Metro Center station. If you know where the north elevator near Macy's is located, you are about 50 steps from the Marriott's front door. Metro Center is at the cross roads of the Blue, Orange, and Red lines, so getting anywhere on the system is pretty convenient.

However, if this hotel is on your list of sites to stay and you're attending a function at the Washington Convention Center, this is NOT the best place. You'll want to take the Metro instead of walking the 7,8 or 9 blocks to the convention center.

The brand new Marriott Marque is less expensive than this place and comes in at about $249/259 on a group rate basis. The Marque is the place to be if you're staying with Marriott in the city.

BTW, the restaurant at the Marriott Metro Center, called Fire & Sage, is really pretty good. I'm not much of a fan of hotel food and hotel restaurants, but this place is pretty good and therefore I raised the overall score from Average to Very Good. More on Fire and Sage under a separate review.

Oh, this is a location to stay if you're not driving! Taxi, Metro, hitchhiking, to this location is FAR preferred over driving.

Room Tip: This is one Marriott where you do NOT want to stay near the elevators. Behind the elevator bank to...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business