“family DC trip”

Ranked #49 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
“family DC trip”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We did a family trip to Washington DC with 2 young girls - 8 and 11. This hotel was perfect for us. Great location. We were blocks away from the Mall, Whit House and the metro station was right out side. The hotel was clean and beds were comfortable. Staff were very friendly and accommodating. We were on the 4th floor and traffic noise was not bad at all. My only complaint would be I kept hearing a rattling noise in the wall - would come and go. They were willing to change my room, but it wasn't bad enough to change. I would recommend this hotel and I would stay again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Scott G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We travelled with our teenage son and had a room with King bed and sofa bed on the 10th floor. Very quiet, room was a decent size. The bed was amazing! I usually find hotel beds too hard, this one was perfect. Bathroom has a full size vanity which is a bonus with 3 travellers and all our belongings. Front desk staff, bellboys were all very accommodating at check-in and storing our luggage after check-out until our airport departure. Requested a fridge, which was delivered promptly. Maid service always left lots of towels which was great as it was very warm so we all needed an extra shower after touring all day. Very close to subway. Starbucks in lobby. Downsides would be service in restaurant in lobby was very poor, few other restaurant choices nearby. The Marriott Residence Inn seems to be in a location with many more restaurants outside the door and it is only about 4 or 5 blocks away. Also, the washrooms in the lobby are by Starbucks and you need a secret code (that changes at least once a day) to get in - it it quite bizarre. We asked where the washrooms were and were told where they were but not provided with the code - which left us locked out. Ended up having to go back up to our room. Another staff member we encountered in the elevator filled us in on the secret code. Hint: If you think you may need the secret code, ask for it the first time you encounter a staff member each day so you have it when needed. Also, in this day and age, I expect free WiFi in the room

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Celeanor
Merrick, New York
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Comfortable, clean, contemporary, courteous, close to metro and other areas. The room was large and they bed was comfortable. Coffee pot was hard to find. No safe in the room. And if course, no free wifi. They have a computer to print your boarding pass and complementary newspaper.

• Stayed August 2014
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Safe, clean, and easy walk to the white house and Mall. There is a metro stop right outside the door that gives access to the lines going toward the mall/Smithsonian and north toward the zoo. There are many restaurants close by also and felt safe walking after dark.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I travel about one week a month, and stay in a fair number of hotels at this level. After a couple of days here, I realized that I liked it better than just about any other hotel of this level that I'd been at, and concluded it was because I liked the little things. There was some counter space in the bathroom. The closet had lots of hangers. The wifi had plenty of bandwidth, both in the guest room and in the conference room where my meeting was. There were enough outlets to plug in an e-reader, a laptop, and a phone for the night. The plumbing worked. The elevators were fast. The iron and ironing board seemed new. And while you don't get a complimentary breakfast at this level, the Starbuck's in the lobby was one of the most efficient I've seen. Furthermore, it's a good area, with a Metro station half a block from the door. In fact, the only thing I could complain about was that there was some confusion about whether I'd made my reservation when I tried to confirm (although it was in the system somewhere, and was no problem when I arrived). But all in all, it didn't have any of the little annoyances that I expect to put up with, so it will be my first choice next time I'm in DC.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Jay-AGM, Manager at Washington Marriott at Metro Center, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
ANSMET4,

Thanks for your comments about the Washington Marriott Metro Center. I'm so happy to read that you enjoyed the hospitality and "little things" that made your stay so enjoyable. I'll make sure to share your comments with our team and we'll be looking forward to seeing you on your next trip to Washington.

Regards,
Jay L
Director of Operations
Falling Waters
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stayed here 8/1/2014- 8/3/2014... Honestly the first day we got here I was so mad at the hotel bc of the way the online reservations system worked I really was prepared to give this hotel a horrible review...however from the moment I got out of my car to go in and check in the people working were so nice I decided to just suck it up. Valet and the front desk guy was an absolute pleasure when we arrived and As I was checking in everyone was beyond courteous and helpful! Got up in our room and it was very clean as well as the bathroom. I know a lot of buildings are very old in DC but this hotel was updated wonderfully. (It did stay a little warm tho, we had the air conditioning as low as the thermostat would go but it still seemed too warm, at least to us.)
We had no problems the night of 8/1, the beds seemed comfortable and we all had a good nights rest. The morning of 8/2 we woke and got ready to go out for the day. Around lunch I noticed I had a bite of some kind on the back of my left knee. I didn't even say too much to my husband about it until dinner that evening around 7 and mentioned something like I must have gotten bit by something and it was really itching. After dinner we went back to the room and everyone besides me got ready for bed and we ordered desert from room service and relaxed and watched a movie together. After the kids and my husband fell asleep I decided I would shower and get ready for bed. This was prob around 1am. After my shower and dressing I came back into our room and was at the foot of the bed to get my phone charger from the desk to charge my phone by my bed when I seen this little dark spot on my bed. I immediately flipped on a light and seen it was a bug so I grabbed a cup, trapped it and yelled at my husband to wake up. As he jumped out of bed and was inspecting what I had captured under the cup I hurried to my bedside light to turn that on too & I seen another dark spot. So I screamed and yelled for another cup. By this time I'm flipping out, my husband is flipping out, my kids have done woke up (10,9 &5- all girls) and I'm on the phone with the front desk.
While waiting for someone, I took pictures of both the bugs & within 10mins the manager, a security guy and a housekeeping guy was at my door. They inspected my captures & looked under our covers & wrote down everything I told them and am writing now including about my bite. They all seemed very apologetic and the manager told me she was moving us to another room right away and would be sending up someone to help us immediately & that nights stay would be on them. While we were in the room I only seen the staff remove the two bugs I had found. When we were moved to another room on another floor of the hotel I got on my phone and Googled pictures of bed bugs and immediately saw this was the same bugs that was in my bed that I had captured and took pictures of. Needless to say none of us really got a restful nights sleep besides my 5yr old, I myself prob didn't go to sleep til prob around 4am but when we did wake I found our bill had came and it still had the second nights room still on it. So after we were all ready to leave I had to go talk to the front desk to fix the bill and another manager came and fixed our bill. He was extremely nice and again very apologetic but he did make a comment that because there was only 2 bugs found at that moment and the company that specializes in this area that they use wasn't available bc it was a Sunday, he really "thought" it was probably some kind of a dust mite & wasn't a bed bug...he was almost whispering as he was telling me this, but assured me that if they find out differently he had my contact information. While we were waiting on valet for our car we went over to get a coffee from the Starbucks in the lobby and while we were being waited on he bought our morning drinks.
Needless to say, I know what was in my bed, I know what I saw and after we got home this evening our bags & everything else we had in their room this weekend have been left outside because I REFUSE to take the chance of bringing those bugs in my home!

• Stayed August 2014
13 Thank Tslon
Jay-AGM, Manager at Washington Marriott at Metro Center, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Tslon -

I'm so sorry to read of your disappointment with our hotel. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly. Please feel free to reach out to me directly so that I can help you with your concerns. I can be reached at the hotel at 202-737-2200.

Regards,
Jay L
Director of Operations
New York City
Reviewed 3 August 2014

For my summer trip to DC I always look for a hotel within walking distance of the Verizon Center. Marriott Metro Center fit the bill--it is a five minute walk from Verizon. Also, the Metro Center stop on the DC Metro is just outside the hotel. Check-in went smoothly and quickly and I was very happy with my room. It was clean, spacious and bright. Of course, it is annoying to have to pay for wi-fi, but that is sadly the norm at the large US chain hotels. My only complaint with the room itself was that I had a problem regulating the AC. It was either freezing or too warm. When I set the thermostat to 70 degrees, hot air started blowing from the vent (obviously, I went with the keeping it a bit too cold option ).

I ate one breakfast and one dinner in the hotel restaurant and the food was quite good and not overly pricey. The service in the restaurant was outstanding.

There was one glaring negative during my stay. There was a huge contingent of teenage girls and their parents staying in the hotel (seemed to be some sort of basketball tournament they were involved in). To say they were inconsiderate guests is a tremendous understatement--both the young women and their parents as well. My room was located right in the midst of members of this group. All night long during my first night, they were running back and forth between rooms, slamming doors, shouting in the rooms and hallway, singing, and being a general nightmare. I reported the problem to the front desk at 10:30 pm and 12:30 am and they dispatched security to handle the situation, but no sooner did security leave that the problem resumed. I was offered access to another room, but at 12:30 am that's not an attractive option. Anyway, my point is this--the hotel handled the situation as best they could and made a few concessions to pacify me. I ascertained that the group was checking out the next day so I didn't have to change rooms. My main question is, why did the hotel put me in a room with this group? I know it was not the room that I was assigned to originally, since that was a King. A King wasn't ready when I checked in and in order to check-in immediately, I took a Double room (in retrospect, my mistake!) Anyway, this was the only glitch in an otherwise, pleasant stay.

I highly recommend this hotel. If I stay there again, I'll absolutely request and confirm that my room is not part of any group block of rooms.

Room Tip: As stated numerous times, ask for a room away from the ice machine. Noisiest ice machine ever...