“Excellent stay - made the first leg of our trip memorable”

Holiday Inn Washington DC - Central / White House
Ranked #53 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed here with my husband for 3 nights during our recent vacation to the US.

I loved holiday inn from my previous stay with them in HK and it didnt fail me.

We stayed in the top most floor. The metro station was quite a walk but it wasnt a problem.

There are lots of eateries in btw 14th n 15th on the p st!

Loved every min of it. The staffs were v courtesy , addressed to our queries and helped us with our touring plans and routes.

The buffet breakfast was excellent as in any other holiday inn, it gets crowded after 9. so the earlier you go the better.

I would definitely stay here again and would recommended it too.

We didnt except it to be that cold in the end of April and it was raining heavily too, but the staffs were v kind to provide us with umbrella for our convenience :)

PS: they have free coffee is the lounge

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ArasiArul
Write a ReviewReviews (1,473)

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Hotel has been remodeled, very nicely done. Front desk staff (shout out to Sharon) was amazing! Greeted us and had us pre-checked in. Like I say, I toys to be a member of any loyalty program. Our suite was perfect. Went down to the hotel bar wee Rosalyn was a riot! Kept us entertained and made fabulous cocktails for us and was very charming. Probably the best time we've had at a hotel bar in ages. We grabbed a cab out front to head out for the night, and even though the cab stand on the corner of 15th and Rhode Island Ave is gone, cabs are so frequent that we got one in minutes. Each stay gets better and better.

Room Tip: Join IHG rewards for sure. And, if you ask for an upgrade, any '26' room is great for a k...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank David A
Reviewed 30 May 2014

The location close to sights, metro (McPherson Square) and off "P" Street (2 shorts blocks away) with a Whole Foods, Starbucks and hip restaurants nearby makes this hotel a good selection.

The breakfast buffet is a good deal when making and early booking reservation with a wide variety of options. The restaurant's menu is basic with a good variety and tasty food. It has a good wine list, I enjoyed its Chianti. The staff is professional. This is an older building it has been updated more than once. The lobby is narrow and may be crowded at check in time, this is what it is. The pool off the 9 floor has apparently be ignored by the hotel, after all this isn't Las Vegas or Atlantic City.

Room Tip: We stay at room 523, it was good I slept like a baby.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TustinCAtraveler
Reviewed 27 May 2014

A room was priced at $155. As a couple $60 extra person fee for your spouse. If you ask for Free breakfast the room price go to $199. Small toilets and rooms with non-working Coffee makers. 18% fee, if you party exceed 5 on a single table to eat breakfast. 15% charge for servicing the table, other than tips. Most staff members do not speak English, if you ask something they pointed at signs. Elevator jammed from 7:00 am to 12:00 noon, as cleaners block them. Kids (under 12) must use kids menu. but items listed on that menu is not available most of the time. I noticed most mothers got up and left or even argued with waiters who cannot speak English . Only best thing is the location, otherwise this is not a good place for a family or a couple. Probably alright for business single travelers.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Nimal V
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Washington DC - Central / White House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear Nimal V,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay and for writing a review about our property. I am so sorry to see you were not satisfied with the level of service you received. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Washington.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I opted to stay at this hotel because I was convinced it would be a perfect set up for me. Traveling solo for work, so I was looking for the basic Wifi, in hotel restaurant and walking distance to anything I needed.

Well, purchased a bottle of water before bed as well as a to-go order of "fresh" fruit .... Got up to my room ... To notice there was mold on my blueberries. Well the kitchen staff glad closed down for the night and I figured I would take it down first thing in the morning. Took 15 minutes for a server to find their manager, server with a poor attitude as well. Food and beverage manager came out and said " I don't know how this can be true. We serve fresh fruit here. I mean, I'm not saying it's your fault but I am just saying I don't know how it happened" .... Well, buddy... Short of the long is -- it happened. Your staff served it. It may have been a mistake but OWN it, like a restaurant manager should.

Not that I needed my measly $5.00 back but he told me they are unable to give me my money back and all he can do is give me new fruit. I can't imagine that to be true. It's $5.00. ... You can do a Paid Out for that and mark it just as it was, customer dissatisfaction.

The front desk staff was very nice and funny -- as they watched the situation, the front desk agent said " To be honest, the rest of it probably has mold on it to, I wouldn't get it. But let me tell you where the Whole Foods is down the street"

SO ... Employees won't even eat there???

Food and beverage employees can make or break an experience, they were poorly trained for a situation like this ... Even the manager.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Kristin M
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Washington DC - Central / White House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Kristin M,

Once again, thank you and I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

John O
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Great location for visiting the White House and all the other associated tourist attractions as they were all within walking distance. We struggled to find something to eat locally for evening meal on the first night, as we had a full day out at the attractions and there seemed to be a lack of eating places, however, the following night, feeling tired and not wanting to walk far, we turned left out of the main entrance down the side street and found a road full of places to eat, including a great little bar and a few shops!!

Stayed in room 201 which was spacious, quiet and pleasant with very comfy king bed and pillows. The room was right next to the lift but we hardly heard a thing and slept well. Plenty of hanging for clothes and lots of fresh towels in the room. There was plenty of storage in the bathroom for toiletries and a good powerful hair dryer was available too!! Coffee making was available in the room, however unlimited free tea and coffee was also available in the lobby.

Entrance to the lifts and toilets in the lobby was by room key fob only, so making the hotel very secure. There was a curious life sized statue of President Kennedy in the lobby and the walls of the corridors were adorned with photos of presidents past and present which gave a sense of history to this modern building.

The breakfast buffet was excellent with a great choice of hot and cold meats, cereals, eggs, bacon, fruit etc or you could order from a more formal menu and have omelettes cooked while you watched, all served by pleasant staff. Our first morning we had to join a long queue for breakfast but, as I usually do in a queue, I timed it and it was only a 5 minute wait, which enabled us to look at the lovely photos on the wall.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank traceythomas64
Reviewed 23 May 2014

A comfortable and welcoming hotel. Room excellent size for the week we stayed, a settee and armchair provided so we could relax after a day sightseeing. Free tea/coffee available anytime of the day. Had breakfast in the restaurant most days a wide choice at reasonable prices. Free Wi Fi so that we could research where we were visiting each day. One block from the D.C. Circulator bus which for 1 dollar took you downtown to Mcpherson Sq. in easy reach of White House or to pick up Metro system .All the staff friendly and helpful a small gift shop in hotel to get postcards, snacks etc. One block also from cafes, supermarket and other shops. The bar in the hotel also served meals in a more informal setting at night if you didn,t want to use the restaurant. Our room was at the side overlooking 15th St. and we were not disturbed by noise, the bed was comfortable, small bathroom but perfectly adequate. Only regret we were too early for swimming pool to be open although the weather was hot. Would recommend this hotel ! The décor looked a little tired but not really important

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple